makes good girls go bad

Default The next threat.... Iran.

Pres. Obama is going to have to show some backbone here.

TEHRAN, Iran – The Iranian government approved a plan Sunday to build 10 new uranium enrichment facilities, a dramatic expansion in defiance of U.N. demands it halt the program.
    The decision comes only two days after the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency censured Iran, demanding it immediately stop building a newly revealed enrichment facility near the holy city of Qom and freeze all uranium enrichment activities. The rebuke angered Iran, raising demands from lawmakers Sunday to cut back cooperation with the U.N.
    The enrichment announcement is likely to stoke already high tensions between Iran and the West over its controversial nuclear activities. The U.S. and its allies have hinted of new U.N. sanctions if Tehran remains defiant.
    A Cabinet meeting headed by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ordered the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran to begin building five uranium enrichment sites that have already been studied and propose five other locations for future construction within two months, the state news agency IRNA reported.
    The Cabinet ordered the new sites to be on the same scale as Iran's only other industrial-scale enrichment plant currently in operation, near the town of Natanz in central Iran.
    About 8,600 centrifuges have been set up in Natanz, but only about 4,000 are actively enriching uranium, according to the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency. The facility will eventually house 54,000 centrifuges.
    In Washington, a senior U.S. officials said that, "if carried out, this would constitute yet another violation of Iran's continuing obligation of suspension of all enrichment-related activities, including construction of new plants."
    "There remains a fleeting opportunity for Iran to engage with the international community, if only it would make that choice," said the official official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the Obama administration had not yet released a formal response.
    In Vienna, spokeswoman Gillian Tudor said the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency would have no comment on Tehran's announcement.
    The newly revealed enrichment site, known as Fordo, is a smaller scale site that will house nearly 3,000 centrifuges. Its discovery earlier this year brought accusations that Iran was developing the site secretly, a claim Tehran denies.
    In the enrichment process, uranium gas is spun in centrifuges to purify it. Enriched to a low degree, the result is fuel for a nuclear reactor — but highly enriched uranium can be used to build a warhead. The United States and its allies accuse Iran of secretly seeking to develop a bomb, a claim denied by Iran, which says it seeks only to generate electricity.
    Iran aims to generate 20,000 megawatts of electricity through nuclear power plants in the next 20 years. IRNA said the new plants are needed to produce enough fuel for its future reactors.
    Ahmadinejad told the Cabinet that Iran will need to install 500,000 centrifuges throughout the planned enrichment facilities to produce between 250 to 300 tons of fuel annually, IRNA reported.
    The IAEA censure against Iran on Friday was seen as a show of international unity in pressuring Tehran over its nuclear program — though there does not yet appear to be consensus on imposing sanctions.
    The IAEA resolution criticized Iran for defying a U.N. Security Council demand for a suspension of enrichment and for secretly building the Fordo site. It noted that IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei cannot confirm that Tehran's nuclear program is exclusively geared toward peaceful uses, and expressed "serious concern" that Iran's stonewalling of an IAEA probe means "the possibility of military dimensions to Iran's nuclear program" cannot be excluded.
    The rebuke infuriated Iran. On Saturday, one hard-line lawmaker warned that parliament might withdraw the country from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and stop all U.N. inspections — a move that would sharply escalate the standoff with the West and cut off the U.N.'s only eyes on Iran's nuclear program.
    But parliament took a lesser step on Sunday: 226 of the 290 lawmakers signed a letter urging the government to prepare a plan to reduce Tehran's cooperation with the IAEA in response to its resolution.
    The U.S. and its allies demand Iran accept a U.N.-brokered offer that would delay its ability to make a nuclear weapon as well as engage in broader talks with the ultimate goal of persuading it to mothball its enrichment program.
    Iran has amassed about 1,500 kilograms (3,300 pounds) of low-enriched uranium at Natanz. The U.N. offer aims to convince Iran to hand over more than 1,200 kilograms (2,600 pounds), more than the commonly accepted amount needed to produce weapons-grade material. But Iran has balked at the U.N. terms for the plan.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

makes good girls go bad

From yahoonews.
    TEHRAN, Iran Iran's parliament passed a law on Sunday earmarking $20 million to support militant groups opposing the West and investigate alleged U.S. and British plots against the Islamic Republic.
    The legislation is widely seen as a response to Western criticism of Iran's violent crackdown against protesters following the disputed June presidential election. Lawmakers started debating the outline of the bill in August when Iran's hardline leaders were fending off allegations that security forces had tortured opposition activists detained during the demonstrations.
    The text of the legislation says the money is to "support progressive currents that resist illegal activities by by the governments of the U.S. and Britain." Iranian officials often use such terms to describe militant groups.
    It was not immediately clear which groups would receive funding from Iran, but Tehran already backs the Islamic militants Hezbollah in Lebanon and Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
    The bill also taps funds to "confront plots and unjust restrictions" by the Washington and London against Tehran and to disclose "human rights abuses by the two countries."
    A committee with representatives from Iran's intelligence services, the elite Revolutionary Guards, as well as the Foreign Ministry and the communication and culture ministries will mangage the funds.
    Iran's constitutional watchdog must still approve the bill before it takes effect.
    The move comes as Iran also faces increasing international pressure over its disputed nuclear program.
    On Thursday, the board of the International Atomic Energy Agency, or IAEA, passed a resolution demanding that Tehran immediately stop building its newly revealed nuclear facility and freeze uranium enrichment. The IAEA resolution criticized Iran for defying a U.N. Security Council ban on uranium enrichment the source of both nuclear fuel and the fissile core of warheads.
    Iran's parliament speaker, Ali Larijani, warned on Sunday that Tehran could scale back its cooperation with the IAEA if the West continues to pressure Tehran over its nuclear program. That follows similar threats from other Iranian officials in recent days.
    To that end, lawmakers asked the government on Sunday to begin drawing up a bill to reduce cooperation with U.N. nuclear agency.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    From yahoonews.
    This crap keeps on AJ, I kinda think Israel may well remove the problem themselves.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    This crap keeps on AJ, I kinda think Israel may well remove the problem themselves.
    I think they would be better off doing it themselves, rather then waiting for us, "their strongest ally".
    Its a shame that we are letting this happen.
    1939 anyone?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    I think they would be better off doing it themselves, rather then waiting for us, "their strongest ally".
    Its a shame that we are letting this happen.
    1939 anyone?
    Israel actually has the same rights to nuclear weapons that Iran has. But everyone knows that Israel has nukes and nobody cares.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

You mean to tell me that all the people who poo-pooed concerns during the election that Iran WAS going to be a nucular threat were WRONG?
    I'm surprised that they are admitting that President Bush was correct.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Israel actually has the same rights to nuclear weapons that Iran has. But everyone knows that Israel has nukes and nobody cares.
    There is no worldwide "right" that i'm aware of.

However, Israel is certainly a free country while Iran is not. Iran has made it clear that it would blow all the "satans" up if given the chance.

Please, the comparison is ridiculous.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post

However, Israel is certainly a free country while Iran is not. Iran has made it clear that it would blow all the "satans" up if given the chance.

Israel is not supposed to have nukes. They are not recognized as a nuclear weapons state by the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

We don't care that Israel is ignoring the rules, but Iran better follow them.

Double standard as far as I'm concerned.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the pretty big minority with this opinion.
    Last edited by MarcusKspn; 11-30-2009 at 05:10 PM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Back In Black

Damn straight.

However, Israel did not sign the non-proliferation treaty. So, they aren't breaking any rules.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

makes good girls go bad

Israel hasn't threatened death to all who don't follow the Quran.
    They aren't lead by a raging maniac.
    They are a civil state who respects the rights of others.

1939 anyone?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post

I don't know that whether its a free country or not is the crux of the situation, the main thing is that they are ruled by fanatical nutjobs who really don't give a damn if they and the country lives or dies. The old Cold War mantra. MAD, was based on the premise that whoever pushed the button, both would face almost certain destruction. The Russians may not have agreed with democracy, but they all liked to live. These wackos don't give a damn.

Forum Member

Israel is not supposed to have nukes. They are not recognized as a nuclear weapons state by the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

Double standard as far as I'm concerned.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the pretty big minority with this opinion.
    Neither country is a signatory of the non-proliferation treaty, so they can thumb their nose at the rest of the world.

While any nation with a reactor can build a bomb, it makes it an issue. Israel has never admitted to having the bomb, but never denied having the bomb to the best of my recollection. Works pretty well as a deterent given the neighboring countries, and the number of countries that have invaded or attacked Israel since 1948.

To a point I will agree that it is a double standard, in that we ignore Israel's potential possession to a nation that states it is actively working to build a nuclear enrichment program, and that has - for 30 years now - supported terrorist groups.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information