Forum Member

Default Glory-mongering...

So, a situation has arose at the station and I was just curious as to some of your opinions...

A mutual-aid call came out for my volunteer dept...I responded to the station, got in my turnout gear and headed to the truck. As I open the door, I was cut off by another firefighter of EQUAL rank and told "the truck is full."

As they pulled out, I noticed he didn't even have his bunker pants closed up, jacket and nomex weren't on, and there was only him and a probie who also wasn't dressed and ready in the back...

I was kicked off the truck by someone of equal rank (even though he thinks he's an officer) when I was fully dressed and ready to perform yet he was too lazy to:
    1) even consider getting dressed safely
    2) move over in the seat
    3) RARELY shows up to contribute anything worthwhile

This is not the first time this individual has done this...to myself or to other firefighters. He is NOT a "senior" firefighter by any means and is NOT an officer. What do you guys think about all this?

Forum Member

I think you owe him. You should rassle for dominance.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I think you should add some more flashing lights to your POV so you can get to the station .000000035 milleseconds faster and beat him to the truck....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Can you take him? I am thinking Cage Match!

You could set it up as a fundraiser!

Seriously, Uh, is this for real? Does your department run so well that this is all you have to gripe about? Must be nice to be in Shangri La!

If it was me, I would man up, either be first or not. If I just HAD to complain to someone, it would be to one of the officers in the department, and NOT THE CHIEF at first.

I would not complain on a world wide forum about it. At least you did not put your department name out there.

Forum Member

Not much action in your neighborhood, huh?

He who goes to the fire beds the hose.

Pacifiers in aisle 7.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Banned

I have experienced the same thing as well. Some idiots have this macho hero syndrome going as a result of a having a tiny part of their anatomy which is often related to their manhood. I say if you want to push me out of the way to go to the scene have it it. You go stand in the cold while I'm sitting in station drinking a coffee and staying warm.

MembersZone Subscriber

In Toiletville this morning there was a trash fire at the Good Morning Donut shop. 9 members of the local Police Department attempted to put it out, before calling for assistance from the Sheriffs Department and State Police.

Chief Bullwinkle of the Fire Department heard the call go out for assistance and asked that his department phone tree be activated for the department to respond.

Upon arrival at the Fire Station Chief Bullwinkle found 7 of his firefighters in a fistfight while they were crying out "ME FIRST - ME FIRST". Chief Bullwinkle dropped the harness onto the team of horses and responded to the fire alone with Engine 1, a 2009 Supercab by Lou's auto repair and fire truck manufacturer.

Upon arrival, Chief Bullwinkle and three waitresses from the donut shop started an attack, saving the well house from catching fire from the fully involved 3 story donut shop.

The Police Department states that the fire could have been put out if only the Sheriffs Department had responded quicker. The State Police were asked for comment, but they were too busy laughing.

The fight is still ongoing at the Fire Station, no comment other than "ME FIRST" has been forthcoming.

Chief Bullwinkle was last seen headed South out of town with one of the waitresses.

(I am on a roll this morning, Come on grants!)

Forum Member

What was she wearing? T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    What was she wearing? T.C.
    Very little!

Forum Member

Default response

LVFD301...Your a Chief...This is how you answer this question. How would YOU handle it in your Department??
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Default see my balls anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeKaos View Post
    So, a situation has arose at the station and I was just curious as to some of your opinions...

A mutual-aid call came out for my volunteer dept...I responded to the station, got in my turnout gear and headed to the truck. As I open the door, I was cut off by another firefighter of EQUAL rank and told "the truck is full."

As they pulled out, I noticed he didn't even have his bunker pants closed up, jacket and nomex weren't on, and there was only him and a probie who also wasn't dressed and ready in the back...

I was kicked off the truck by someone of equal rank (even though he thinks he's an officer) when I was fully dressed and ready to perform yet he was too lazy to:
    2) move over in the seat

This is not the first time this individual has done this...to myself or to other firefighters. He is NOT a "senior" firefighter by any means and is NOT an officer. What do you guys think about all this?

wal-mart has thicker skin on sale today for 40% off in isle 4. they have the 6 pack of tissues in isle 9. tampons are in isle 12.

how can you make a post like this on a national web site and not expect to be bashed as a whiner. take it to the chief

i didn't want to make a post like this put couldn't pass it up, sorry i'm trying to change
    Lower Bucks County - proud home of Pennsylvania’s 9/11 memorial site – “the garden of reflection”, Zico and hhmllc

Back In Black

2) move over in the seat

Snooze you lose.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

2) move over in the seat

Dude its time to man up. Move quicker. I rarely get fully geared up before I hop on the truck cause as soon as we have minimum staffing that truck is out the door. I dont want to be on the third due engine or even the..... ambulance. (gives me the chills just thinking about it) If I'm not on station and we get a fire or wreck, I'm in the door, grab my $h!t as I run by my gear rack and try to quickly move across our huge station to make it to the truck.

How does one "get dressed safely"?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Permanently Removed

OP- Go full-time and then you will never have this problem.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

2) move over in the seat

Tell him to get the hell out of your way and get on the rig. If he gives you a problem about it after the call go to an officer.

Stop whining on an international forum about what should have been dealt with at the company officer level.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    LVFD301...Your a Chief...This is how you answer this question. How would YOU handle it in your Department??
    Simple. I would tell Chief Bullwinkle to bring that waitress back - she is mine!

No, but it really is simple. I would ask him what the Assistant Chief had told him when he presented his complaint to him. Then I would stand behind my Assistant Chief and tell the guy that is what needed to happen. The complaint should not make it to me from the guy - although I should be advised by my Asst Chief.

I would hope that the Assistant Chief would listen to the issue, and counsel the guy to look at what he could do to make it on the engine quicker - and look at his options. Perhaps more drill and training in donning his gear. Grow up would probably be mentioned. Assist him in achieving that goal by a loud "AIRPACK AIRPACK AIRPACK" which at our station means that the people in the station drop what they are doing, don their PPE, including airpack, one of the drills we use.
    Last edited by LVFD301; 11-30-2009 at 01:43 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Likewise, your thoughts on handling it?

MembersZone Subscriber

We'll it's happened to me before and will probably happen again. Unless it is against a department SOP or the piece was going out understaffed, I'm not sure how to present your complaint to the chain of command. If you do feel the need to complain, use the chain of command.

I've probably missed the engine more often than not. I worried about it for a while, but then realized that there will be more fires and more calls. Also, depending on what the call is and how far away we have to go, I'll don't rush to get a seat. If somebody want's to rush ahead of me for a downed tree, or to sit in staging, more power to them.

Forum Member

Ever had a sibling cut you off in things, it's called standing your ground. If your hand is on the door handle and you let him in front of you well.... Stand your ground

Forum Member

Default Response

LVFD301....I think that what you say should be done if it gets to your level. I think that a Chief should not have to get involved in this. It should be handled at a lower level and never should get to you. Your hands are full enough without worrying who gets on the rig and who does not.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

2) move over in the seat

How about some cheddar cheese with that whine!

Get over it sonny.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

What's wrong with this...

"Hey probie... you're in my seat".

The basic fact is that some guys will exert their self appointed authority over anyone who will lay down and take it.

Number #1: Get over it
    Number #2: Get over it
    Number #3: Learn to be aggressive, then get over it

Never bow down to a probie, they must look up to you.
    But only if you earn their respect.
    Last edited by PaladinKnight; 11-30-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    I say if you want to push me out of the way to go to the scene have it it. You go stand in the cold while I'm sitting in station drinking a coffee and staying warm.
    That's probably for the best, every time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    That's probably for the best, every time.
    That is exactly what I was thinking
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking
    Me three.

To the OP, suck it up. Or how about take another truck?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information