Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question NFIRS and fire incident reports

Since the grant writers have to collect the total of runs, fire, casualties, etc. My question is, since NFIRS treats controlled or prescribed burns as a call and asks that they be recorded in the basic module or wildland module (I forget at the moment), Can they be counted in the AFG type run record?

Forum Member

It's a necessary "call for service", so I don't know why they wouldn't! It's a lot more important, IMHO, than some of these taxi rides to the hospital that get counted as "runs"....
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They count as vegetation fires if your doing the crop burn standbys, could probably go as a standby also but I think that category more for cover assignments and waiting while the cops take a drug lab down than watching a field burn.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    .....My question is, since NFIRS treats controlled or prescribed burns as a call and asks that they be recorded in the basic module or wildland module (I forget at the moment), Can they be counted in the AFG type run record?
    Now let me get this straight, you gonna light the fire, AND claim it as a run for stats? I see alot of minds churning with this one!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

CRP burns, that's what I couldn't think of earlier. As far as I understand the department isn't lighting them, just keeping an eye on it. Gray area as to that being a standby or vegetation fire but I say latter since there is fire involved. Not like a fireworks show appearance.

Forum Member

Red face See

With all the attention on the AFG notifications, I needed to insert a thread that didn't resemble a rant. This issue about NFIRS brings up another issue however. So many volunteer departments do not use the online system. It causes me to wonder about the collection of the data. How many calls and reports are not getting included into the decision making processes on the federal and state level. If the information is not there to be analyzed, our rural communities would be lacking proper representation. Our own fault as a matter of fact. They have already shown rural areas have more emergency calls per thousand population overall. Would be best for all if we could get as much NFIRS overall reporting as possible.

But I still think the feds should consider, rant, rant, rant, blah, blah, blah, same old (d)itch.

Let the flood gates open,,,,tomorrow.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

So many don't use any system to submit, or submit inaccurate/incomplete run stats so the number crunchers on the other end see something other than reality. It's like anyone else, they can't do their job unless we're accurate in doing ours.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    CRP burns, that's what I couldn't think of earlier. As far as I understand the department isn't lighting them, just keeping an eye on it. Gray area as to that being a standby or vegetation fire but I say latter since there is fire involved. Not like a fireworks show appearance.
    So do you count the number of acre's in a CRP controlled burn on the DNR report ?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Beats me, we don't do them around here. If they have a spot for it would record it on the DNR report, would report it in AFG also. Fire is fire. If the wind whips up it turns into an uncontrolled burn and then called a wildfire which is reported across the board as a regular call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew21 View Post
    So do you count the number of acre's in a CRP controlled burn on the DNR report ?
    I don't know about the natural resources district, but evidently NFIRS does. Controlled, prescribed or wild.

Thread Information