Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: nfpa1901

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    While the NFPA 1901 is a "Standard" and not legally binding except in a few states that have adopted it as part of their OSHA regulations, it is enforced by the expert from out of town in the pin striped suit, red tie with a brief case. Called an attorney! As so well spoken in a previous post, the attorney for a family of a loved one injured or killed by a fire truck in an accident, will glean any little infraction of the laws and/or NFPA standards to crucify the fire department and the fire chief. It's all about what they convince the jury was the cause of this horrendous accident, not necessarily reality.

I think the speed limits were enacted because of braking limits on the heavy trucks. For any of you that had a high school physics class, the braking energy required to stop the vehicle is equal to the Energy = Mass x (velocity squared) So a minor change in velocity has a huge change in the amount of energy required to stop the vehicle. So to increase the speed 7 mph from 68 mph. to 75 mph. (A 10% increase) requires a (22% increase) in braking energy to stop the vehicle. You'll have to trust my math.

While I wouldn't recommend it, you could ask the builder of the rig to deliver it with a 75 mph top speed. Some may provide your request. Or take it to your local large truck dealer after its delivered and have them change the rear axle ratio. But make sure you have a lot of GVW margin on the chassis so the brakes are still plenty capable of stopping the rig.
    Get out of town!!! Are you telling me you learned something in school that applies to the Fire Service??? That looks like physics. Gee Nozzlehead, would this fit into your tiny realm of acceptable classes?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I followed your post until this part? What exactly do you think changing the rear axle ratio will accomplish?
    It give you a higher speed at the same engine RPM, however you give up torque. So unless that engine governor is tied to the speed of the vehicle and not the engine RPMs it will go faster.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MoosemanKBB527 View Post
    the way i look at it is that your now driving a vehicle 15MPH slower that everything else on the road, thats if people drove at 75MPH which as we all know isnt going to happen its more like the recommended minimum these days. so you possible looking at going 20 to 25 MPH slower that the traffic around you. so just how safe are you with these new "guidelines", and I use that term loosely because even though they arnt laws try to find someone that will build a truck that isn't NFPA
    I routinely drive 80 mph on the thruway. I have passed many a trooper and they set there. However, i am all the time coming up upon slower vehicles doing 65 or 70 and some times less. The Big red truck will be highly visible and shouldn't be a problem.

Speed is a major factor in 95% of all accidents. Just look at all of the wrecks over the last year. [sarcasm]Of course we can't talk about these accidents until NIST has finished their flawed report [/sarcasm] . However, any time you manage to put one of these big trucks on its side there was too much speed involved. All the governors in the world won't do a bit of good if the loose nut behind the wheel doesn't drive properly.

Forum Member

Default NFPA 1901 Compliant Statement

Under the new NFPA 1901 standard that took effect Jan of this year vehicle manufacturers must provide a list of all items that do not comply with the standard or that need to be installed in order to comply. The list will become part of the final specifications and the department will be required to sign an acknowledgement that these items must be corrected or installed before the vehicle is placed in emergency service, (Sections 4.21 to 4.21.3 of 1901).

This is not a legalized waiver that allows a department to install non-compliant components, omit other components or allow a manufacturer build a non-compliant truck by simply signing off on items that do not meet the standard. It is a legally binding document that places full responsibility on the fire department to make the vehicle compliant before operating it. If a manufacturer is willing to build a truck that is non-compliant I don't think I would want them building my truck.

Forum Member

Don't worry about the speed.Just get in the left lane and if everybody passes you,oh well.Try to stop or make an evasive manuver with at least 4 tons of water plus the weight of your truck.You MUST drive with due reguard to arrive to be able to do something.Time is of the escence but you got to use your head.Clobering someone because your adrenalin is on overdrive is going to be hard to live with.
    It's not that life is so short,it's cause you're dead for so long.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    It give you a higher speed at the same engine RPM, however you give up torque. So unless that engine governor is tied to the speed of the vehicle and not the engine RPMs it will go faster.
    Not so. On an electronic motor the max speed is set. The computer doesnít care what the RPM is, when it hits the max speed setting the truck stops speeding up. The same is for the RPM setting when the truck hits the max RPM setting it will not gain RPM in any gear. They are two separate settings.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tom is correct, the body builder will require the fire department to sign off on anything that is done to the truck that makes it non-NFPA complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    Oh my God.. now he thinks he's an automotive engineer...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Top Speed

rm1524
    You are correct. If the top speed is electronically limited by the engine computer reading the transmission speed input then the gear ratio change will not help and the engine computer top speed setting has to be reset by the Engine manufactures dealer technician.
    But reseting the computer will eventually run up against whatever the rear axle ratio is in limiting top speed.

But if the top speed is rear axle ratio limited, the rear axle ratio has to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    Tom is correct, the body builder will require the fire department to sign off on anything that is done to the truck that makes it non-NFPA complaint.
    Most won't even let you sign off anymore.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MoosemanKBB527 View Post
    the way i look at it is that your now driving a vehicle 15MPH slower that everything else on the road, thats if people drove at 75MPH which as we all know isnt going to happen its more like the recommended minimum these days. so you possible looking at going 20 to 25 MPH slower that the traffic around you. so just how safe are you with these new "guidelines", and I use that term loosely because even though they arnt laws try to find someone that will build a truck that isn't NFPA
    Yeah, how foolish of us, we should speed up to save lives.I cannot beleive the amount of whackers that can't give up the driving lights and sirens real fast as part of this job. Face it, if you're arguing to drive faster, in all likliehood you shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel, and I highly doubt you have any time in a supervisory or command position.

At some point the public needs to realize that they chose to live that far from emergency services. Don't stick a mobile home 20 miles from town and expect any of your possessions to be savable. Similarly if you have a heart condition and choose to live 20 miles from an ambulance service you'd better stock up on Nitro, aspirin, oxygen and teach your kids CPR. I think most of the public does understand they make these choices, yet some firefighters cannot live with the fact that the public does understand, they'd rather speed over country roads with overweight tankers thinking they're making a difference, when in fact they're likely part of the problem.

Thread Information