Forum Member

Default Most overpriced used coat, ever

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

This guy paid over a grand for a 10+ year old coat that technically your not even supposed to use anymore. Why so high? look at the department.

Is it even legal to wear a coat like that with FDNY on the back? A t-shirt is one thing as it's not part of a uniform, but a turnout coat with a department name on the back?

Forum Member

Is the buyer a member of your department? Did he use your money to make the purchase?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

This guy paid over a grand for a 10+ year old coat that technically your not even supposed to use anymore. Why so high? look at the department.

Is it even legal to wear a coat like that with FDNY on the back? A t-shirt is one thing as it's not part of a uniform, but a turnout coat with a department name on the back?
    I would go with collector item here. If this coat was manufactured in 1999 than there would be a chance that it was worn by the FDNY on 9/11. I can see some people out there who would want to have it.

I don't think that I would spend that much money on a possible 9/11 FDNY coat, but if I would get my hands on one it would be promptly donated to the Firefighter Museum.

Although I'm not holding my breath about any "real" FDNY coat being "gently used", especially one that is that is almost 10 years old. And after reading through the Ebay description it seems like this coat has never seen any FDNY action. It was returned to the company.
    Last edited by MarcusKspn; 12-01-2009 at 12:33 PM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

wow maybe i should buy some old morning pride coats and sew FDNY on the back and sell them to dingers and whackers. And not to disappoint the west coast dingers I can make some PFD and LAFD coats. I could retire tomorrow.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    wow maybe i should buy some old morning pride coats and sew FDNY on the back and sell them to dingers and whackers. And not to disappoint the west coast dingers I can make some PFD and LAFD coats. I could retire tomorrow.
    It does not cost much to have FDNY put on the back of a coat. I have seen plenty of Morning Pride coats for sale in "FDNY Specs" but with no lettering. Seems like an easy way to increase the value of a coat. I would not be surprised if it has been done before.

What i want to know is why is Morning Pride selling off coats with departments lettering on them? If Globe was selling coats with my department name on the back, i would be ****ed. That lettering should be removed before a manufacturer sells a coat.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    I would go with collector item here. If this coat was manufactured in 1999 than there would be a chance that it was worn by the FDNY on 9/11. I can see some people out there who would want to have it.

I don't think that I would spend that much money on a possible 9/11 FDNY coat, but if I would get my hands on one it would be promptly donated to the Firefighter Museum.

Although I'm not holding my breath about any "real" FDNY coat being "gently used", especially one that is that is almost 10 years old. And after reading through the Ebay description it seems like this coat has never seen any FDNY action. It was returned to the company.
    Agreed, IF it could be traced to 9/11, it may hold more value. But based on the condition and the fact it was "barely used" not to mention, it was never lettered with a Fire Fighters name, my guess is this was a training coat or simply a coat that was never issued but was just sitting on a shelf at the supply house and for whatever reason, was sent back to MP, maybe as a trade in. Who knows what the FDNY does with old coats.

Forum Member

If you read the description - it was sent back to the manufacturer by FDNY, and the seller bought it from the manuf.....sold only as a collectible.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    If you read the description - it was sent back to the manufacturer by FDNY, and the seller bought it from the manuf.....sold only as a collectible.....

Yes, i saw that. But MP should not be selling department lettered coats to people outside the department. Even as collectibles. The lettering should have been removed. Ill look for the article, but a guy was busted not too long ago wearing FDNY gear after getting in someones apartment and assaulting them.

I know anybody can order letters and iron them on. But the manfacturers should not be making it easy for people. Would you want you department name being sold by your coat manufacturer to strangers?

Forum Member

The firestore will sell the helmet shields, badges and patches with your company info on them if they are returned, or never picked up. Our badge manufacturer did the same thing, so we told them to cease and desist.

Forum Member

If 1851 says you can't use a ten year old coat in good condition, then my dept needs to buy an *****load of turnouts in the next year or two.
    Last edited by gunnyv; 12-01-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: grammar

Forum Member

When we put department names on coats we check to make sure they match the department ordering the work done. You never know if some ya-hoo is a firefighter wanabe, or in this case someone trying to make a buck off the legacy of good men who died in service. Selling gear with other departments names on the back is a no-no in our book, but selling it with FDNY as a collector's item is frankly disgusting

Forum Member

Oh and if the letters were directly applied and heat pressed, they're not coming off. It would be interesting if some one here from NY knows if the spec has sewn-on letters or heat pressed letters, then we might know if this is a fraud.

Forum Member

There is the impersonation factor. DHS is always warning us about this perceived threat.

A few years back (May 2002) at the I-40 Bridge Collapsed in Oklahoma, a guy carrying a briefcase wearing the medal ladened uniform of an Army Captain, asserted to all that he had been sent by the Federal Government to take command.... and he did.

For several days, everyone followed his orders during the rescue and recovery operation; FBI, Oklahoma Highway Patrol, local Police and Fire Officials.

He gave news interviews about the incident, and was provided a motel room and meals while he was in command.

But some individuals who thought something might be a little fishy finally decided to check his story out and asked for him to verify his credentials.

He was a fraud. He fled the scene and was later captured in Canada.

He received a 6 year sentence, but was released to a halfway house in 2007.

In 2008, this same guy called the Russian Embassy and claimed to be part of a covert military operation to assassinate President Vladimir Putin.

He is back in his prison cell until 2010.

-----------------------------

There are many of those poor little misunderstood wannabes that just want to be important.

Is FDNY missing a command car?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Freds2 View Post
    Oh and if the letters were directly applied and heat pressed, they're not coming off. It would be interesting if some one here from NY knows if the spec has sewn-on letters or heat pressed letters, then we might know if this is a fraud.
    Heat pressed letters can be removed, but it does leave a residue. We took lettering off a bunch of coats before we sent them back. You just heat them up again and you can peel them off.

As for FDNY, the lettering is heat applied. Nothing sewed on.

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought ebay had a policy of not allowing the sale of emergency service artifacts from the 9/11 attacks.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I thought ebay had a policy of not allowing the sale of emergency service artifacts from the 9/11 attacks.
    An unused coat that may or may have not belonged to the FDNY in the same time period as 9/11 is not an artifact. It is just that- a coat that may or may not have belonged to FDNY in the same time period as 9/11. No body wore this coat at Ground Zero.

While I find this whole thing pretty sketch, I think some people are looking too far into it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was on my work computer when I posted that. I can't see ebay on it, so I was only going off the posts in this thread. Now that I look at this, you're right.

But, am I right about ebay's policy in general about 9/11 artifacts?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Thread Information