Forum Member

Question Explorer Carrying Radios?

Hello. I posted a thread yesterday about going on my first ride-along. I've been thinking about doing my first one on the ambulance instead of the engine/truck.

I've seen some pretty bad stuff when I volunteered at the local hospital before becoming an explorer, but just in case we get a major trauma that I don't feel ... "comfortable" with ... can I just ask the medic to ride up front on the way to the hospital?

Also, would it be "whackery" to bring along a radio for a ride-along? It's got the transmit blocked so it can only listen and not talk. I'm not a whacker by any means...but heck, it looks pretty darn cool with the turnout jacket...lol. Is that something I should do? Or maybe I should wait until I know the crew better and after a couple ride-alongs...then bring it?

Any advice?

Forum Member

Every single question you have as an explorer can be answered with the same answer: Ask your chief/commander/supervisor.

It really is that simple.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

You are a very lucky explorer.

We do not allow explorers to ride on any first-out apparatus; including EMS.

We do not allow explorers to carry radios, or pagers.

We do not allow explorers to respond or self deploy to calls.

We do not let the Explorers think about being cool. It is hard to look cool if your dead or missing arms, legs, or have major burn scars on your body. While there are some firefighters that think they are cool, they probably earned the right. It is also hard to look cool in an oxygen tent after you scorched your lungs and throat. The stuff in the hospital room looks cool, but you don't.

Note: Explorers can go to the incident but are under the direct supervision of Post Leader or assigned Officer/firefighter. They are only allowed in the staging area, never in the hot zone.

Explorers are assigned to an officer for daily routines at scheduled times, except when the Post Leader holds a meeting.

Explorers are allowed to attend any Firefighter Class, whether classroom or skills. They cannot participate in Skills. The goal is to provide the Explorer the basic knowledge of the occupation, without placing into harm's way.

Explorers may learn how the tools and equipments function, and may help keep maintenanced and cleaned. They can wash and wax trucks. They can roll, clean and dry hose. We are restricted by our Insurance Carrier and our State from putting you in a situation where you can be injured or killed.

I don't like having to go to a parent and telling them you got hurt, or worse.

If your dept is allowing you to ride along, my suggestion is do not get in the way, and never ask questions when work is underway. Listen, Observe and Learn.

When you become old enough to enroll in the academy, you should be ahead of your peers.

Slow down and enjoy not being a responsible adult yet. Once you hit 18, it all changes... people expect things out of you. Yea that worked on my kids too...

Forum Member

Default Radios

Advise to Explorer: As others have stated, ask whoever is in charge of you. You do not NEED a radio, you would just like to carry one. Big difference.

To PaladinKnight: Yes, the kid should be carefull. But lighten up, we are not sending him to Iraq.

Forum Member

I guess I was a bit too tough on him.

Thanks for bringing me back Firedog. Iraq may come later.

I didn't like the way it read either after I was done.

--------------------------------------------------------------

BridgeportFireExplorer my apologizes.

My grand-daddy instinct...

But you are still very lucky.

Forum Member

Ask the post leader. if you dont have time because it is tomorrow or before your next meeting bring it with you. Ask the officer when you get to the firehouse. explain to them it does not transmit and you just want it to listen when on scene. The officer will tell you yes or no. if the answer is no just put it in your bag, dont let it be seen the rest of the day and dont bring it back.

Don't be scared to ask question when you get to the firehouse. They will understand you are a kid (excuse me young adult) and will help you out. Help out all that you can and be willing to work. Don't kiss *** or act like a b**** to the big bad fireman. Be yourself help out and be respectful.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool First Ride-A-Long.....

And for Heaven's Sake don't come empty handed..... Fat free yogurt, Fat free sorbet and such goes a long ways.....

Talk to the Crew, as them what they like to snack on and make sure it's there.

As far as your Radio ? I gave ya my .02 the last time it was posted and I hold true to it.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    And for Heaven's Sake don't come empty handed..... Fat free yogurt, Fat free sorbet and such goes a long ways.....

Talk to the Crew, as them what they like to snack on and make sure it's there.

As far as your Radio ? I gave ya my .02 the last time it was posted and I hold true to it.....
    Arrrrgh! Bemoaning the decline in civilization. No more Boston Cremes, no chocolate double glazed, no Tim Bits. Armaggedon is fast approaching.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Donuts.....

I agree.....

If I wanted to eat donuts, I wouldn't have made the "A Band" and got the job, instead I'd carry a gun.....

Wow, I really typed that. Man is Pops gonna get me for that.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree.....

If I wanted to eat donuts, I wouldn't have made the "A Band" and got the job, instead I'd carry a gun.....

Just a friendly suggestion Mikey. Don't speed for the next while in your town. BANG, BANG, Stop or I'll shoot!! Ooops

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Just a friendly suggestion Mikey. Don't speed for the next while in your town. BANG, BANG, Stop or I'll shoot!! Ooops
    Honestly Chief.. I was aiming for his tires.....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Yes your Honor, as per our SOPs, I did fire 2 warning shots. Unfortunately his head got in the way

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree.....

Years ago, in city hall in a state capital in the northeast, the mayor asked me if I wanted to be a cop or a firefighter. I said I wanted a job. He said Firefighters have more openings right now and school started sooner.

Next day I got a letter telling me when to report for the academy - and a note telling me to come by personnel and fill out an application.

And there it began......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    Yes your Honor, as per our SOPs, I did fire 2 warning shots. Unfortunately his head got in the way

If the City Council hadn't cut the funding for the Highway Department to fix the dip in the road... he would be alive today...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Your advice was given with good intention.

Merry Christmas, or is it too soon for that?

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    I guess I was a bit too tough on him.

Thanks for bringing me back Firedog. Iraq may come later.

I didn't like the way it read either after I was done.

--------------------------------------------------------------

BridgeportFireExplorer my apologizes.

My grand-daddy instinct...

But you are still very lucky.

Forum Member

Merry Christmas, or is it too soon for that?
    I go a memo this morning that the Reindeer are hitched up and are about ready to go. Shouldn't be long now.

Your advice was given with good intention.
    Thanks for letting me off the hook. I guess my old age (grandpappy) leaks out every once in a while.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Originally posted by LVFD301
    Years ago, in city hall in a state capital in the northeast, the mayor asked me if I wanted to be a cop or a firefighter. I said I wanted a job. He said Firefighters have more openings right now and school started sooner.

Next day I got a letter telling me when to report for the academy - and a note telling me to come by personnel and fill out an application.

And there it began......
    And people say there is no God..... Somebody was definitely looking out fer ya.....

Originally posted by BryanLoader and Capt Gonzo

Yeah, when I got pulled over by a Texas State Trooper, that was one of the 1st things that went through my mind, but he was very cool. Told me to keep the truck and trailer under 80 in the Construction Areas. LMAO.....

Thread Information