Thread: new patch

Forum Member

Lightbulb new patch

a few years ago when i joined my current fire co. things were pretty bad. the firehall was in rough shape, the apparatus were ancient and falling apart, and the turnout gear.....well lets just say MSA "elephant hose" SCBA went out of style a long time ago.

Over the past two years a couple of us newer members got together, elected new officer, built a beautiful new firehall, found and auxilliary, bought a new engine and new ambulance, and applied for and recieved grants for all new trunout gear for all of our members.

At our last meeting meeting we decided to create a new company patch to commemorate our "reconstruction" as a company. Our previous patch was just a circle with "BRADFORD VOL. FIRE CO." on it. So if anyone has a ideas, designs, or possibly knows a website where we can create and see our new patch online, it would be greatly appreciated!!
    100% VOLUNTEER

Forum Member

Firecollector.com is working on my patch right now. NO fee for the graphic designer to draw up your patch. Just give them a rough idea.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Try to come up with a design that says something about your community, maybe a local landmark that everyone will recognize or something that captures the "essence" of your area. Also stay away from "trendy" images or themes that will look dated in a few years. You want a patch that will be as recognizable and meaningful in 20 years as it is today.

Plain patches that just say "XYZ Fire Department" are boring.

Here's ours...

I designed it myself a few years ago. The green stuff in the middle are stalks of sugar cane, since that's our main industry around here. Everyone within 100 miles of here recognizes it instantly, but people from out of state are sometimes puzzled ("Why do you have a clump of weeds on your patch?" ).

I also designed it in yellow and black because that's the color of our apparatus.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

i thought of using something the identifies our department but there really is nothing. no mascot. no slogan. and our town consists of a firehall, gas station, school, and 2 churches. not really much to go on if u kno what i mean
    100% VOLUNTEER

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Try to come up with a design that says something about your community, maybe a local landmark that everyone will recognize or something that captures the "essence" of your area. Also stay away from "trendy" images or themes that will look dated in a few years. You want a patch that will be as recognizable and meaningful in 20 years as it is today.
    When we redesigned our patch this year, the same thing was said by a well meaning individual.

The response from the Asst Chief was" Two strippers fighting over an ear of corn!"

Like all good comedy, it was based in truth.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post
    When we redesigned our patch this year, the same thing was said by a well meaning individual.

The response from the Asst Chief was" Two strippers fighting over an ear of corn!"

Like all good comedy, it was based in truth.
    LOL....That's funny!

Now that you mention it, I probably could have come up with a lot of...interesting...images to symbolize our area...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hmm.........

LOL....That's funny!

Now that you mention it, I probably could have come up with a lot of...interesting...images to symbolize our area...

A Cane Fire bearing down on an Engine that's Stuck in the Mud??......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post And........

Bradford, Can I ask what part of the World you're located in??..... And, I'm looking for a way to post our Patch here........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRAD7FORD View Post
    i thought of using something the identifies our department but there really is nothing. no mascot. no slogan. and our town consists of a firehall, gas station, school, and 2 churches. not really much to go on if u kno what i mean
    Yall just need to brain storm and come up with a slogan or image. I came up with "Southside Saviours" because we run auto aid for the entire south end of the county. The image is a fireman with angel wings carrying an axe and hose. I'll post a pic when it gets drawn up.
    FF/Paramedic

Savage / Hyneman 08'

LOL....That's funny!

In the end we didn't stray to far from a traditional design, but we were able to make it different from any of the neighbors, and it looked pretty good too.

A few personal touches were the date of beginning service, and our new DFD logo that we came up with.

Simple, clean, but very nice.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Thread Information