Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Firehouse.com Editor

Default New Apparatus Column on Firehouse.com

We are happy to announce the newest column on Firehouse.com: "Innovative Rigs on the Street." The column, authored by Tom Shand, looks at apparatus that were designed, configured and placed in service with much thought and concern for the unit's use. If you are looking to design a new rig, look through the ideas from each of these departments.

The first unit is from Carlisle, PA. Check it out here: http://www.firehouse.com/topic/emerg...vy-duty-engine

Forum Member

Mr. Shand, I love the article. I read your articles in the "other" magazine and Firehouse. You did a splendid job on this one. I can't wait to see what's next. Maybe our new pump will make it in? Keep it up

Forum Member

Talking

I liked the artical and am looking forward to the next one.

Firehouse.com Editor

Hi folks,

Tom Shand's latest column has been posted at: http://www.firehouse.com/topics/emer...eelbase-pumper

It looks at Engine 72 in Hollywood, MD.

Forum Member

Default Apparatus column

Hmmmm,,, Another Pierce advertisement?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blsfeich View Post
    Hmmmm,,, Another Pierce advertisement?
    Doubtful. Mr. Shand was last known to be working for a bow-on, arch competitor of P.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Doubtful. Mr. Shand was last known to be working for a bow-on, arch competitor of P.
    THE ultimate arch-competitor. I am pretty sure he still does.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

again,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.How do we submit for this ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    THE ultimate arch-competitor. I am pretty sure he still does.
    Better check, I believe he's no longer working for any particular manufacturer at all. I know that regardless of his pay check he's helped FD's get the most out of their purchases from other builders.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is his bio at the end of the story.

TOM SHAND is a 37-year veteran of the fire service having served with departments in Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York. He has worked in the fire apparatus industry since 1985, including 15 years with Saulsbury Fire Apparatus. He is a contributing editor to Fire Apparatus Journal and Firehouse Magazine and works with Mike Wilbur at Emergency Vehicle Response. He co-hosts the Apparatus Architects podcast with Wilbur, based on their column in Firehouse Magazine.

Forum Member

This is copied from Seagrave's web site and is dated April 2, 2007.

TOM SHAND JOINS SFA

April 2, 2007 - Clintonville, WI ~ Tom Shand joins the team at Seagrave with over twenty seven years of experience in the fire apparatus industry. He previously worked with Saulsbury Fire Apparatus for fifteen years and spent the past several years with American La France at their Hamburg Facility working with apparatus designs to support both dealerships and various fire departments.

Tom is a thirty six year veteran of the fire service having been both a member and line officer in several departments in Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York. He is a Contributing Editor to both Firehouse and Fire Apparatus Journal magazines and has written two books on the history of fire apparatus. He is a frequent speaker at national fire service conferences regarding fire apparatus design and fire ground operations.

Tom will reside in Hamburg, New York with his wife Jackie and will bring his many years of industry and fire service experience to SFA working to promote and enhance the presence of Seagrave in the market.

As a Regional Sales Manager (RSM) Tom will not only be responsible for direct sales but provide assistance to existing dealers and help identify potential new dealers in his Area of Responsibility (AOR), which includes but is not limited to: New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine, Connecticut & Massachusetts.

Additionally, Tom will work closely with Director of Engineering, Nathan Nick and be instrumental in strengthing our “Heavy Rescue” initiative.

Tom will report to Director of National Sales, Matt McMorran.

tom.shand@seagrave.com
    C) 716.771.9718

Forum Member

Tom is no longer with Seagrave. He made the announcement several weeks ago on the PodCast.

Forum Member

It's true and a real shame. He was the most talented Regional Sales Manager Seagrave had and the new CEO let he and a bunch of good people go. He's never been in the fire service or apparatus manufacturing arena and he's running the place????? Actually running it into the ground.

FDNY is slowly moving away from them, DC has just order rescues and pumpers from Pierce and LA City hasn't purchased from Seagrave for awhile now. When your three largest customers aren't happy...

Sorry; a little off topic.

Firehouse.com Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    again,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.How do we submit for this ?
    I apologize--I thought I had PMed you, but I didn't. If you would like to have your rig considered, please send an e-mail to peter.matthews@cygnusb2b.com with data and a few photos and we will take a look.

Thank you,
    Peter

thanks Pete ! as you know we already made the connection.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Firehouse.com Editor

Hi folks,

The latest column has been posted at: http://www.firehouse.com/topics/emer...r-drawn-ladder

Firehouse.com Editor

The latest unit is Upper Frankford, PA's Engine 128: http://www.firehouse.com/topics/emer...l-ready-pumper

Firehouse.com Editor

The newest column was just posted at: http://www.firehouse.com/stateprovin...rst-out-engine

Firehouse.com Editor

Tom's latest column looks at Friendship Fire Company #1 in Winchester, VA: http://www.firehouse.com/topic/emerg...-attack-engine

Firehouse.com Editor

Tom's latest installment of "Innovative Rigs on the Street" features the first ladder truck placed in service in Bowmansville, NY. Check it out: http://www.firehouse.com/topic/emerg...s-aerial-tower

Thread Information