Thread: N5A sizing Q.

Forum Member

Default N5A sizing Q.

Looking at picking up a leather helmet, and my head size falls smack in the middle of the two sizes Cairns offers. 23.5 inches (my melon's circumference) works out to between size 7 3/8 and 7.5, so between the M and the L, which one should I pick?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Looking at picking up a leather helmet, and my head size falls smack in the middle of the two sizes Cairns offers. 23.5 inches (my melon's circumference) works out to between size 7 3/8 and 7.5, so between the M and the L, which one should I pick?

Ummm, not able to see the goard on your shoulders, I would get the helmet that fits without being cramped. Remember you should try a helmet with the facepiece straps of a mask on the head and you hood in place. This gives you what the helmet will feel once you are ready to do firefighting. A helmet will feel different with out the regular stuff you wear when engaged in firefighting.

Kind of like a head gasket, fits at lot better when the tool is erect!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

If your right on the border between the two, get a large. Your mask net, hood and even hair will most likley make a medium be an issue for you.

When you measured you head, i am guessing you were not wearing a hood or your mask. That is why i would say large. A helmet that is a bit too loose can be manipulated with padding. A helmet too small at the max setting means you are out of options,

MembersZone Subscriber

If I remember correctly, my hat size is a 7 1/4. I wear a large N5A helmet. By the time I add the mask and hood, a medium just doesn't sit right on my head. It feels like it wants to fall off.

Forum Member

Good points, thank you guys.

Ive got the L right now, and it fits, but with the ratchet system I think I could make it fit on an apple. Id like to stick my head in a Medium before I commit to it, so until then it stays in the box!

Forum Member

Good points, thank you guys.

Ive got the L right now, and it fits, but with the ratchet system I think I could make it fit on an apple. Id like to stick my head in a Medium before I commit to it, so until then it stays in the box!
    I was surprised at how small a large could get. That rachet system is nice though.
    FF/Paramedic

Thread Information