Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Riding Assignments

What are you riding/tool assignments for your Engine, Rescue, and Ladder? I am trying to start riding postions and need a little help.
    Thanks
    FF/Paramedic

Maybe these will be accessible. Used to be on our website, but it's under construction...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Here is the seating arrangement at the department I used to work for:

Of course the driver and OIC sat up front, no brainer right, lol. Then the right rear facing seat(behind the OIC) was the plug man. The left rear facing seat, if manpower was available was the one on the nozzle, or if it was our Tower or quint, he helped to set up truck ops if we used them. The middle seat(s) on our apparatus was an extra firefighter if manpower allowed. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-05-2009 at 04:36 AM.

What was a typical day/shift staffed with in Dalton Irish? Total personnel wise I mean.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Well, at station 1 we had E-1, usually with 4 personel, E-10 with 4 personel, T-1 with 4 if available. And Squad 1 with a driver, they were still getting it into operation when I left. If they were short they'd pull off of E-1 or E-10 before any of the truck companies, infact, we have had to shut down a station just to fill seats before, until we could get some OT personel in to fill out the roster. At the other stations we kept a minimum of three, except L-3, we tried to keep 4 on there. But at 2 we had E-2, at St. 3 we had L-3 and they were waiting on a new engine so they could put one of the older ones at St. 3 and run an eng. co. and truck co. out of there, but I left before they did it, so not sure where they are on that yet. At St. 4 we had E-4, and St. 5 had E-5. It's been two years since I left, and for one of them I've been here in Iraq. I hope to be home this month, when I go home for Christmas I'll get more details on the changes they've made. And yes, it did suck being one of the stations with only three personel on the engine, but we made due. We at least had county units close enough for mutual aid if needed, and they were always more than happy to help. I miss it badly. I can't wait for my enlistment to be up in another 2 1/2 years so I can hopefully get another job at good dept. somewhere, hopefully a large city.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-06-2009 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Changed enigne to engine.

Was that all paid personnel?

Stay safe over there.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Yes, all paid. Dalton has no volunteers, though nothing against vollies myself, I was one for three years, lol. WE had 90+ paid personel in the operations part of the dept. when I left, that's not including the inspectors and cheifs and admin folks. Thinking of volunteering again, until I can get out of the Marines and go back full time at a big dept. somewhere.

And thanks, hopefully coming home this month. This place sucks, .
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-24-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Correcting mis-spellings.

Forum Member

Ladder Companies on a single family job;
    -Driver = drive, throw ladders, perform vent ops, lighting (hook)
    -OIC = lead of course, assist w/primary (or secondary), open up interior (hook and TIC)
    -Irons = force entry, primary (or secondary), interior utilities, opening up interior (hook and irons/rabbit). Typically I ditch the ax after initial entry, and go with a metal hook and Halligan interior.
    -O.V. = reports to the rear, throws ladders, horizontal/vertical venting, utilities (hook/Halligan)

Really depends on arrival order. Rescue arrives first, they grab primary and go interior. Entire ladder crew ladders the house, then two go inside.

These aren't happening yet, but out truck ops committee lined this stuff up and training begins 01/2010.
    Last edited by RFDGloWorm; 12-20-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Border Patrol

Here's what we implemented this year at my volunteer dept.

Like most of our SOGs, we pretty much copied what others do with minor tweaks to make it work for us.

We don't have a truck so the second or third arriving engine accomplishes those types of duties ("Support Company").

http://www.wtfd.net/newsogs/SOG-4-10.doc
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Officer, Driver and Firefighter... we are constantly on minimum staffing (of 3).

Forum Member

Engine51-Fire
    -Nozzelman: nozzel for working fires, 2.5g water-can for any alarm, high rise pack for any comercial structure.

-Ironsman: ax/halligan married, and k-tool

-Hydrantman: Hydrant wrench, radio... deploys secondary line

-Breakman: Breaks the 5inch and brings it to the operator... deploys backup seconday line

-Driver/operator

-Officer

Engine51-Rescue
    *Primary tool

*Secondary tool

*Glass man

*Cribbing man.

*Officer

*Driver/operator

TRUCK
    >Roofman: Roofsaw, axe, etc.

>Outside Vent Man: Throws ladders, vents windows with whatever tools are needed.

^^^^^^
    These two work as a team, yet separate.

>Irons: Halligan married to the axe, k-tool for residential, rabbit tool for comercial as well as the R-tool [bigger version of k tool]

>Hook/Can: roof hook and 2.5g water can

^^^^
    These two work as a team for primary searches.

All firefighters have a radio on a radio strap, flashlight, and SCBA.
    We are a volunteer fire dept, but we have 10 live-in firefighters to staff the 6 person engine/truck and 2 ALS ambulances
    A man is not finished when he is defeated; He is finished when he QUITS!

-Former U.S. President Richard M. Nixon.

Forum Member

working in the quint world we do both functions. this depends on dispatch order
    we ride 4 to a company. we do not have specific tool assignment. We currently only spell out the jobs and the firefighter is responsible for grabing the tools required for that job. Depends on the type of building/construction, personal likes and dislikes.

Working as an engine company:

driver- works the pump and all that stuff

Officer- supervises the streatch and pitches in when needed. IC if first arriving until bat chief arrives

Nozzle FF- on the nozzle, pulls the line. If no line is pulled then he grabs the can (I.E. AFA, food on the stove, etc.)

Hydrant FF- wraps and makes the hydrant connection. then helps with the streatch chases kinks chocks doors etc. usually will grab a closet hook to help open up once the line is in place.

Working as a Truck Company:
    Outside team:
    Driver- sets the main ladder, ladders the front of the building and sides

Hydrant FF- outside vent, ladders the rear, forces any rear doors, controls utlities

Inside team:
    Officer- supervises inside functions (since 1st arrving officer is outside being the IC until the bat chief arrives)

Nozzle FF- Forces entry for the hose line. opens up when needed searches the fire area.

The inside team will search if the rescue company is not onscene yet.

Rescue Company:
    Only job is to conduct search and then assist with inside work.

Forum Member

Three man truck crew
    Driver: arrive alive, position apparatus/operate aerial, horizontal vent, utilities, ladders, lights and other needs
    Officer: Interior FE, search (fire and life), open up, overhaul
    Tiller: Same as officer-they work together

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanLyman View Post
    Officer, Driver and Firefighter... we are constantly on minimum staffing (of 3).
    That sucks!!! I remember those days, manning a 1 3/4" line and holding the fire extension back until the next due arrived, hated it.

Forum Member

Engine crew of 3:

- the driver is responsible for chasing kinks out from the discharge to the front door.
    - the officer does forcible entry and interior ventilation
    - the line pulls proper line and extinguishes the fire

Engine crew of 4:

- the same as three except the fourth person has forcible entry and interior vent

Truck crew of 3:

- the driver takes proper positioning, ground ladders and or ariel.
    - the officer has forcible entry
    - the ladderman helps driver with ladders and grabs to go inside

Truck crew of 4:

- the driver and the left bucket do ladders and outside vent
    - the officer does interior vent and search
    - the right bucket has forcible entry and searches with the officer
    PGFD

Thread Information