MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Default Car fire blanket

Someone forwarded this video to me and I thought I'd share it because it seems interesting. A good example of outside-the-box thinking (I'm not saying whether its a good idea or not, just an interesting concept). Anyway, what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSX-FW6tRbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kAtbKvRtFA
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

It looks like a good concept. But, it puts you close to the car with no protection if (opposed to a fog pattern while approaching). It also looks like it takes just as long to roll it out as it would to get a 1 3/4 in service, and takes 10 minutes to work. I think I'll stick to water and foam. I see how it could be good to have in a police car or chief's car.

Forum Member

I'll agree with Charlie on this. Good concept to put the fire out, but when you pull it off, it's obvious you still need to overhaul the car...requiring a hoseline. So, if you have to stretch it anyway, why not just use it from the beginning...and cut the time in half.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    I'll agree with Charlie on this. Good concept to put the fire out, but when you pull it off, it's obvious you still need to overhaul the car...requiring a hoseline. So, if you have to stretch it anyway, why not just use it from the beginning...and cut the time in half.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. In the first video especially. If they'd rolled the video a couple minutes more after the blanket was removed, I think you'd have seen that car well involved again pretty soon.

Again, not saying I agree with it, just thought it was a cool idea.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Am I missing something, or, did it not put the fire out?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Am I missing something, or, did it not put the fire out?
    I wouldn't say it put the fire out....controlled it, yes, but in that first video in particular, when they peeled the blanket back there was still a good volume of high-pressure smoke being generated. Sort of like creating a backdraft situation in a structure fire, they removed the oxygen but did not remove the fuel or the heat. Re-introduce air and poof, you've got fire again. I think if they'd kept the camera rolling another minute or two you'd have seen as much fire as they had when they arrived. So they'd still have to get in there with a handline to overhaul.

Like Charlie said, maybe a good tool for a chief's car to quickly control and contain the fire until the engine arrives to soak it down. The second video sort of presents a scenario where this might be useful...the parking lot or traffic jam where a chief's car might be able to get to the fire a lot quicker than the engine and contain the fire for a few minutes, protecting exposures until the engine arrives for extinguishment. I don't know, in a situation like that I could maybe see the advantage
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Can you use the blanket to seal of the car and then deploy a fit-5?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Looks pretty useless then. You still have to use water eventualy.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

You can see burn marks on it quite clearly. I wonder how many times you can use it before having to buy a new one.

Forum Member

its a nice idea, but I don't see it being worth the money. I already have a good tool on my fire engine for putting car fires out, so why spend the money on this big fire blanket?

I wonder how much it costs, I could probably use that money on more useful tools.

The only use I could see was a parking garage where you have a large exposure problem and delayed water on fire time because you'll be stretching from a standpipe. The truck could deploy this blanket while the engine stretches the line. But I don't know if the couple car fires in parking garages would make this worth the money.
    Last edited by nameless; 12-06-2009 at 05:05 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't see that drastically changing how we fight car fires but it is an interesting concept. It'd be cool to see what a short blast of water under the blanket would do.

Back In Black

What's the point?

The car's a wreck no matter how you slice it.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Cover and cook for 10 min per ton. Uncover and Bon Appetit!

MembersZone Subscriber

what does it cost... is it cheaper than that FREE water out of the hydrant?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Is it a matter of cost? or a matter of slow response times in volly world?

Any car fire I have been to that actually is a fire and not a cigarette in the seats, its a complete and total loss anyway!!

Water is almost free, manpower and rigs on scene are still needed to utilize that almost free water.

I say almost free, because our fd pays for each hydrant we have to the water company. We then pass that cost on to the community in our tax levy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by backflip View Post
    Is it a matter of cost? or a matter of slow response times in volly world?

Any car fire I have been to that actually is a fire and not a cigarette in the seats, its a complete and total loss anyway!!

Water is almost free, manpower and rigs on scene are still needed to utilize that almost free water.

I say almost free, because our fd pays for each hydrant we have to the water company. We then pass that cost on to the community in our tax levy.
    Didn't say I was advocating it, just putting it out there to generate some discussion because I thought it was an interesting concept. I agree that there don't seem to be enough advantages to radically change anyone's thinking or tactics.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

it could have its place. i am all for thinking outside of the box.

Forum Member

What's the point?

The car's a wreck no matter how you slice it.
    .... i remember the radio report of first chief on scene of a reported vehicle.
    "Car 42 on scene reporting working vehicle fire. Car 42 now reporting explosion, second vehicle fire"

... but you also deploy this right on to a car that might explode.

I dont see the point either. News cars are made everyday ....

Forum Member

This should be called the backdraft blanket. Because that is exactly what is going to happen. Its not cooling it at all. It just starving it of oxygen and insulating the heat in. Someone is going to get hurt when they go to remove it and eat a face full of fire.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I am also for new ideas and innovations. The problem is that it very often takes too long for hings to be accepted.

Items/tools that we have now were introduced at some point nd were very likelty shunned and not at all welcomed.

SCBA, it used to be cool to come out of a fire choking, puking, not able to see , all kinds of stuff coming out your nose etc...

AED's used to be on tv occassionally, hospitals had them. Mow they are very commonplace. You see them in malls, schools, firetrucks, police etc...

Fog tips, solid bore nozzles.

The FIT-PRO has been shunned on this board, yet generates very good press. Maybe in a few years they will be commonplace.

I am not so sure of a fire blanket though for a car fire. The car is generally a total loss. Maybe there is another application for this product.

My thoughts only

Back In Black

I am also for new ideas and innovations. The problem is that it very often takes too long for hings to be accepted.
    I'm not a bandwagon type of guy. Prove that the new idea or innovation works, and then I usually let one of the bigger and busier departments give it a shot first. My resources are far to slim and valuable to go chasing the latest fad.

Items/tools that we have now were introduced at some point nd were very likelty shunned and not at all welcomed.
    And more then a few were junk, not worthy of the saliva it takes to spit on them with.

The FIT-PRO has been shunned on this board, yet generates very good press. Maybe in a few years they will be commonplace.
    More then likely they will not be, and will be something we all joke about in the future.

I am not so sure of a fire blanket though for a car fire. The car is generally a total loss. Maybe there is another application for this product.
    Don't be a hater. This is probably one of those miracle devices, like bottled air.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Maybe there is another application for this product.
    A super strong tarp for salvage and overhaul in a building?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Maybe there is another application for this product.
    Maybe this will replace Lights in Vol. POV's. Or maybe this way everyone can be a Firefighter!
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Forum Member

I could see this also used in a parking garage - I know the ones where I work will NOT fit an engine in there 0

In the videos, the people look like they are taking their time - so actual deployment would take less time.

Backdraft waiting to happen - yes, I could see that.

Protection of other vehicles - yes, I could see that too - again, in the parking garage situation.

I wonder if this would be practical, say, at an accident scene where you have an entrapment - with either fire or possiblility of fire - use the blanket as a shield while 1 crew attends to the fire/hazard and the other to the victim(s).......

The company website for one of the blankets says it is made of a fiberglass material, high heat resistance - from the firetexx website.....

Firetexx is a company established by Poly-Ned (www.polyned.nl). Firetexx capitalises on the growing demand for environmentally friendly fire prevention equipment. The Firetexx products are made of a fire resistant fabric, a product that, therefore, fits in well with the textile products of Poly-Ned. This fire-resistant textile is made of fibreglass with a fire-resisting coating. The textile is extremely fire-resistant. The heat radiation of the material is also extremely low! Firetexx currently has many applications for the material.
    So, outside of a fire department use, I can see other applications for this.

Forum Member

I wonder if it would resist heat well enough to be used to cover exposures to auto/trash bin type fires. Something to keep that 40K car sitting 20 feet away from heat, water, flying trash damage.

I wonder what extra damage it causes to the surfaces under the vehicles as well. Retaining all that heat instead of knocking down the fire and dropping the heat level faster could be a problem on some surfaces.

Although on most of the roads in NY another pothole or two won't get noticed....

Thread Information