Thread: Fire Storm

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Storm

Just watched a BBC documentary called Fire Storm. Its about the California fire storms and the problems faced by CalFire. I don't care what their helmets looked like, those lads deserve every bit of credit and admiration they receive. I've done a little bit of wildland and forestry fire fighting in Canada but absolutely nothing like this. Tip of the helmet to CalFire and local fire depts.

Banned

Part of the problem they have out there is the lack of land management. The greenies decided that clearing underbrush was a bad thing, so they allow things to just grow wild. Of note, the nearest tree to my house is about 80 feet away. No trees or brush anywhere near the house. And the underbrush and dead stuff is kept clean. No fuel - no fire.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I think I saw that special a few months ago, Bryan. It was an EXCELLENT show, I really enjoyed it.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Ya know the sign you see that says "Don't feed the bears"??? That should apply to the ego's of SOME of CAL-Fire.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Ya know the sign you see that says "Don't feed the bears"??? That should apply to the ego's of SOME of CAL-Fire.
    Can't pass any judgement on that, although I think that's true no matter what side of the country you reside. One of the featured people on there was a retired Cal FF and rancher. Some pretty interesting comments from him. Worthwhile to watch if you get a chance.

Forum Member

I know that there are retards and amazing Guys and Gals in every group but all i can say is wow, About the Ringers we got stuck with.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Yep........

Huge differences from place to place....... There are some attention getting Fires in the Mid-Atlantic area, but they are smaller, and of much shorter duration. Largest Fire that I've ever seen in Maryland was a 3 Day, 1,200 Acre Job, back well over 20 years ago. That would only be a drop in the bucket west of the Mississippi.......... We don't hear much about it because of the distance from here, but Australia has a Fire Problem equal to the Southwestern US......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Permanently Removed

Never seen the video. Is there a link for it some where or on Hulu?

Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Huge differences from place to place....... There are some attention getting Fires in the Mid-Atlantic area, but they are smaller, and of much shorter duration. Largest Fire that I've ever seen in Maryland was a 3 Day, 1,200 Acre Job, back well over 20 years ago. That would only be a drop in the bucket west of the Mississippi.......... We don't hear much about it because of the distance from here, but Australia has a Fire Problem equal to the Southwestern US......
    When we visitied Montana last year we drove through Wyoming. Between Cody, Wyoming and Yellowstone there was a 64,000+ acre "small" wild fire. Biggest ifre I ever fought was about 70 acres.

I will admit to being a fat, lazy bastid - you can have those big wild fires.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Never seen the video. Is there a link for it some where or on Hulu?

Thanks.
    I don't know Bou, it was called "Fire Storm" and was aired on BBC. I'm sure it was USA produced however.

Forum Member

Okay not Picking on California but i will say, "The Media coverage that they receive Nationally compared to other areas is insane. And at times insulting"

But i can understand why too, Parts of that states fuel load and type is a Bit**. Simple fact too is we don't do this for the glory but at times it seems that it gets projected that way.

Permanently Removed

Some fire in California are major incidents/conflagrations with cost running in the millions, numerous aircraft, large dollar loss, mandatory evauations, and sometimes lives lost.

Its major news, so like who are you blaming? As for the fuel loading, its a big state, what can you do?

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay not Picking on California but i will say, "The Media coverage that they receive Nationally compared to other areas is insane. And at times insulting"

But i can understand why too, Parts of that states fuel load and type is a Bit**. Simple fact too is we don't do this for the glory but at times it seems that it gets projected that way.
    I'm not sure why you would think it was out of proportion considering the effect they have on your country and your economy. I have been in Asia during the Australia fires and in Europe during the fires in Greece and southern Spain. Both received a great deal of coverage. I would imagine in ND you have seen and been involved in some forest fires, Wildland or bush fires can be even worse due to the speed they travel.

Forum Member

How about the one that reads:
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS! T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    When we visitied Montana last year we drove through Wyoming. Between Cody, Wyoming and Yellowstone there was a 64,000+ acre "small" wild fire. Biggest ifre I ever fought was about 70 acres.

Sharkie, you keep 'em under 70(A)they're MUCH easier to control. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post

Yep humping Indian packs, shovels, grub hoes and axes through brush and windfalls takes all the romance out of firefighting real quick. Some of those guys do it for weeks and catch some kip in a tent. Better men than me!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    I'm not sure why you would think it was out of proportion considering the effect they have on your country and your economy. I have been in Asia during the Australia fires and in Europe during the fires in Greece and southern Spain. Both received a great deal of coverage. I would imagine in ND you have seen and been involved in some forest fires, Wildland or bush fires can be even worse due to the speed they travel.

I guess when you have three Type 2 Teams in your home state, and have lost over 175,000 acres in three days ya got a little anoyed at hear that
    Cal has declared a state of Emergency through out the state, and called in
    Massive amounts of support for a 3,500 acre fire.

However I understand it i have worked in the state, and from a wildland stand point, the idiots that build houses in the middle of chaparral Kinda make ya wonder. But that is not the worst fuel type out there or in that state for that matter. also That state is a Interface nightmare, simplest way to put it.

The economy that's a touchy subject, to this day There are still contractors that have not been paid for the 2007 season. That a fun fact to add into the Feelings for California equation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Sharkie, you keep 'em under 70(A)they're MUCH easier to control. T.C.
    Great philosophy, not always possible. The perfect number is 35 that way you don't have to do 100% mop-up

55 Years & Still Rolling

Post Huh??...........

Great philosophy, not always possible. The perfect number is 35 that way you don't have to do 100% mop-up

We have to do 100% mop up here, no matter the size.........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Agreed! However,my statement still stands. And we're like Harve, they get THOROUGHLY mopped up,period. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Agreed! However,my statement still stands. And we're like Harve, they get THOROUGHLY mopped up,period. T.C.
    Not sure just what you and Harve mean by mopped up. Here, any wildfire anywhere near residences is mopped up and observed for several days after the fire. In the wild, the perimeter will be kept under observation and there will be fly overs by the heli tac guys, but smoulders and smoke are allowed to burn out as there is no appreciable fuel left.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    We have to do 100% mop up here, no matter the size.........
    Dam! if its under 35 we have to grid it out, and cold trail it until there is No smokes or heat. Bigger we go 2-3 chains in and get any big smokes.

Forum Member

Bryan,we don't have many fires over 10 acres. We don't LIKE big interface fires. We thoroughly go over the area with TI's and Heat guns,digging out any hotspots or snags. Oh, occasionally we'll get a 100+ acre job but they are RARE. Same overhaul applies.Patrols are maintained until we're sure it's out. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bryan,we don't have many fires over 10 acres. We don't LIKE big interface fires. We thoroughly go over the area with TI's and Heat guns,digging out any hotspots or snags. Oh, occasionally we'll get a 100+ acre job but they are RARE. Same overhaul applies.Patrols are maintained until we're sure it's out. T.C.
    Yeah I kind of figured something like that.Spring here can be a real SOB. Not really forest fires, just grassland, brush etc but can be over a pretty big area. On those we do a complete mop up as they are usually in close proximity to buildings

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up

Same Here, Only real difference between our areas is that my Winters are milder. Our real work begins when we get well into a Very Dry period. Climate swings back and forth from wet to dry and back again usually last a month or two, But we've had times where we'd be a Foot below normal Rainfall for a Summer season, and Fire under those conditions dig in very deep in the Peat, Roots, etc. In turn, Mop Up becomes a "Construction Job" with Heavy Equipment working for days......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information