Forum Member

Default Pierce PUC photos

Anyone willing to share some PUC photos? Need some good quality photos of the pump and valve set up for a presentation.

Thanks
    SBLGFD

email to chief@sblgfd.com

Forum Member

Take a look at the following link under PUCs and Engine 725

http://wvfra.com/index.php?option=co...=article&id=86

Forum Member

Nice photos - Thanks .

What I looking for are cab tilted pump and valve photos if anyone has anything like that.

Thanks

SBLGFD

Forum Member

Are you actually considering going away from your rear mounts? I personally don't any advantages to a PUC, except maybe pump and roll, but that can be achieved other ways.

Forum Member

No change from the rear mounts for the first dues, they have worked very well. We are considering the purchase of a 100 foot tower and thinking about a PUC for that application. Not a lot of opportunity for alternate pump locations on a tower, and the PUC seems to offer some advantages in that application over a conventional mid-ship pump.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SBLGFD View Post
    No change from the rear mounts for the first dues, they have worked very well. We are considering the purchase of a 100 foot tower and thinking about a PUC for that application. Not a lot of opportunity for alternate pump locations on a tower, and the PUC seems to offer some advantages in that application over a conventional mid-ship pump.
    Interestingly, it would seem that the pedestal style pumps used in the rearmount applications would be a great fit for aerials needing a pump. The smaller footprint would allow more space and the single sided inlet (like the PUC) wouldn't be as big a deal on an aerial that is generally supplied by another line and doesn't sit on a hydrant directly (within a pony rolls length). I suspect the drive mechanism prevents this?

MembersZone Subscriber

Great pictures....almost look like a professional photographer took them.

What is the wheelbase and the sq ft of compartments in your unit?

thanks.....

Forum Member

I don't know the wheelbase. They are incredibly short, though, for a rumper. These units are from a partner with the local fire school. They will have 6 total in a few months.

Forum Member

Forum Member

I might be wrong but I think E-One used a Hale pedestal style pump (may have been the PSD) on their Hush style ladders/ platforms. The engine was mounted behind the cab and the pump was ahead of the engine under the cab. Milwaukee, Madison and a few others in that area ran a couple of these.

Forum Member

E-One's Bronto and Rosenbauer's T-Rex both utilize a Hale 8FG pedestal pump, both rated at 2000 gpm I believe.

Why the need for an alternate pump location on a tower? Are you talking rear mount or mid-mount tower?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    E-One's Bronto and Rosenbauer's T-Rex both utilize a Hale 8FG pedestal pump, both rated at 2000 gpm I believe.

Why the need for an alternate pump location on a tower? Are you talking rear mount or mid-mount tower?
    I don't think anyone is suggesting an alternate location, just the rather than put in a large midship pump, a smaller pedestal pump might (evidentially does) work, especially when considering them as compared to a to a PUC with the single drivers side suction. I know our Toyne rearmount with the Waterous pump is much smaller in overall space than any midship I've seen. Obviously one part is how well laid out the pump manifold is and the number and placement of discharges, but that would seem to be fairly easy on a tower where in all likelihood there will not be as many discharges in varied locations compared to a pumper.

Forum Member

No suggestions on alternate locations for the pump on the tower ( rear mount is what we are considering) , just looking to maximize space and improve access for maintenance. In all likelihood the pump will be used minimally, so we would like to keep its impact on the truck down.

MembersZone Subscriber

Perhaps a E-One Synergy. Similar "shorter" which is the only "benefit" I see in a PUC. The Synergy has a std midship transmission which eliminates the PUC driveline lashup. A rearmount typically means a 2000gpm which I'm pretty sure is not an option in a PUC as they apparently have problems with 1500gpm.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Top pic is of ther PUC body without the pump, view of the front of the body without the cab in the way.

Bottom pic is the PUC pump.

If you need a more detailed pic of the piping I can post it, but it's sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by DFDMAXX; 12-06-2009 at 10:40 PM.
    We do not rise to the occasion. We fall back to our level of training.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Same pic as above, but closer and sideways. Turn your monitor on it's side for prolonged viewing.

Forum Member

DFD great photos - do you have any with the truck complete with the cab tilted? Looking to show access to the components on the completed unit.
    Last edited by SBLGFD; 12-06-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

I don't think anyone is suggesting an alternate location
    SBLGFD mentioned alternate pump locations, I was only trying to understand where he was coming from.

Depending on ladder manufacturer, tilting the cab will provide the best pump access without sacrificing space for an access door. Having said that, some manufacturers have the front outriggers located ahead of the pump which blocks that access. Being an EVT I always ensure there is plenty of access to the pump components.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Interestingly, it would seem that the pedestal style pumps used in the rearmount applications would be a great fit for aerials needing a pump. The smaller footprint would allow more space and the single sided inlet (like the PUC) wouldn't be as big a deal on an aerial that is generally supplied by another line and doesn't sit on a hydrant directly (within a pony rolls length). I suspect the drive mechanism prevents this?
    What you're referring to is called an end-suction pump. They do indeed fit in much smaller pump houses than are required for midship pump designs. They can be driven either by a PTO or by a split-shaft transfer case just like the ones you would find on a midship pump. The primary advantage to the latter is that is affords the use of all available engine power to drive the pump allowing for a larger pump capacity.
    Just a guy...

Lieutenant - Woodbury, MN FD (Retired)
    Road Captain - Red Knights MC, MN4

Disclaimer: The facts and opinions expressed above are mine, and mine alone, and are not intended to represent the views of any company I have ever worked for, past or present.

Forum Member

Wouldn't pump access be limited on an aerial? I would think you would have the aerial cradle sitting just forward of the pump house which would be blocking access. I'm not real familiar with what the cradle looks like on the Pierce or how much room it takes up but I don't think you would have the same access as you would on an engine.

Forum Member

Is an aerial with a rear-mount pump a possibility? I don't think I have ever seen one.

Forum Member

I have seen several drawings of 75' aerials with a rear mount pumps.

I know Rosenbauer has built several of their 68' RoadRunner aerial devices with a 1500 GPM rear mount pump and 700 gallons of water. It's actually a top mount-rear mount with all aerial and pump controls located at the operators panel.

Below are a few photos of a truck delivered to the Lake Johanna Fire Department in Minnesota.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by SBLGFD View Post
    DFD great photos - do you have any with the truck complete with the cab tilted? Looking to show access to the components on the completed unit.
    Sadly, no. The best I can do is a view of the pump installed on the frame, but no cab or body.

If you look at the top flat surface of the pump you'll see that it has a textured pattern in the casting, which meets some standard for anti-slip work surfaces. This is because when the cab is tilted the top of the pump is exposed enough to be used as a surface to stand on. Thats all the info I have. But a picture really is worth a thousand words.

I'll see if anyone else has some pics that can help you out.

Forum Member

Wouldn't pump access be limited on an aerial? I would think you would have the aerial cradle sitting just forward of the pump house which would be blocking access.
    Not necessarily. I work on three E-Ones that I can crawl through the cradle. It's when the hydraulic reservoir is mounted in or on the cradle that access is limited. I suppose it depends on what you require the access for, quick access in the event of a failure or valve repair. IMO, as long as you don't have to remove four valves to get to the one needing repair you have good access.

Forum Member

Default Rfd

RFD you keep referring to the PUC having a single side inlet. This is untrue as the PUC has both passenger and Driver inlets as well as Front suction being availible contrary to a rear mount vehicle (if possible is verrrry expensive option). The passenger side inlet is in the same location as the driver with the same makeup as the driver side one. You get the same makup as a normal engine 2 large diameter intakes as well as aux inlets and discharges if designed its just in an out of the way location as opposed to a normal side mount.

Thread Information