Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default TX Fire Apparatus Pump Test

Here in NC we have to perform an annual pump test on all engines. We are looking at an engine and want to know if Texas requires the same tests? Cannot get an answer out of the department who is selling and we cannot use the truck if it doesnt pass. Additionally we cannot afford to do any work on the pump if we were to purchase it.

Those "pesky guys" at NFPA have a standard called NFPA 1911, Standard for Service Tests of Fire Pump Systems on Fire Apparatus. Ask the prospective seller to provide documentation of the testing, or make the sale of the vehicle contingent on passing a pump test and safety inspection.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

1800 car fax
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfire1156 View Post
    Here in NC we have to perform an annual pump test on all engines. We are looking at an engine and want to know if Texas requires the same tests? Cannot get an answer out of the department who is selling and we cannot use the truck if it doesnt pass. Additionally we cannot afford to do any work on the pump if we were to purchase it.
    Imteresting. And what Gonzo said. (and to add, if I were you and they didn't provide the records, I would run.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Those "pesky guys" at NFPA have a standard called NFPA 1911, Standard for Service Tests of Fire Pump Systems on Fire Apparatus. Ask the prospective seller to provide documentation of the testing, or make the sale of the vehicle contingent on passing a pump test and safety inspection.
    Very familiar with NFPA standards. I have asked for the pump test and they told me that they couldnt find it since they have not had the truck in service for 8 months. I can provide pump tests for the truck our department had and sold ten years ago. Why cant they provide one? Seems more than a "little fishy" to me.

Why cant they provide one? Seems more than a "little fishy" to me.
    Either it failed and they dont want you to know that, or they just haven't done it and are afraid to test it................If you guys are serious about buying the rig, tell them they have to have a test done by an independent third-party agency at their cost or you are walking from the deal.....(it has to pass, of course....) Given the fact that they are acting suspiciously, I would be wary of any documents they suddenly are able to produce.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Exclamation

If you are in North Carolina and are buying a pumper from what ever state be it texas, alaska or maine, pumps are for the most part, are tested the same way, each and every day!!!

I would suggest that your department ask for ALL the records for this pumper and any and all test that have been conducted on it.

If they refuse to give it to you, then walk away from this truck and the department wanting to unload it!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information