Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default December 7, 1941- Please remember...

It was 68 years ago today our country was attacked and Servicemen killed.
    Please remember, thank you.

My Grandfather was in the Navy during WWII, and it was around this time of year that he would talk about Pearl Harbor and the War. He past away 2 years ago and I really miss him and his stories. We are losing members of his generation everyday and soon they will all be gone. So the next time that you have the chance to speak to one of these vets, tell them how much you appreciate their sacrifice and hard work.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

How and why would any American forget Pearl Harbor??

Too bad the school system have changed the history books so the kids now day don't' know about World War 2, the Korean War and the Vietnam War!

Rest in peace to all who died on December 7th and the years afterwards fighting the war to end all wars!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

Too bad the school system have changed the history books so the kids now day don't' know about World War 2, the Korean War and the Vietnam War!

Rest in peace to all who died on December 7th and the years afterward fighting the war to end all wars!
    It is because...as you said...the school system have changed the history books so the kids now day don't' know about World War 2, the Korean War and the Vietnam War! Also, the inept, controlled media does very little to help anyone remember, as some golfer or a football players' personal antics is far more important today.

REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

Rest in peace to all who died on December 7th and the years afterwards fighting the war to end all wars!
    Yes indeed.

I asked my 9 year old (4th grade) if they mentioned Pearl Harbor at school today. His answer...no, what's that. So I proceeded to tell him...again. Of my two daughters in Middle School only the 7th grader had it mentioned in passing at school.

What a travesty that the sacrifice of 2402 Americans (including 1177 aboard the USS Arizona and 68 civilians) does not even warrant mention to today's youth. This event put into motion an unprecedented time in the history of the United States which ultimately claimed the lives of over 500,000 American servicemen and saw 11 million Americans in uniform. All told World War II claimed 60+ million lives worldwide, and now as the number of living veterans of that war shrinks year by year it is fast becoming a footnote.
    For shame.

Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.

May the souls of all who gave and give all in the defense of this great nation RIP.

Cogs
    Last edited by FFPCogs08; 12-07-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Forum Member

Thank you to those that have fought for our freedoms. Too bad I saw 5 min coverage of Tiger Woods and 30 sec remember Pearl Harbor on the news. What a shame!!!

My uncle was in the 3rd wave of the invasion of Utah Beach. He would never talk about it except on this day. He would only say "today was when I got into the war."

I saw a guy at the grocery store this morning who had a hat on from the USS Wisconsin, a battleship. I asked him if he was on the Wisconsin and he said yes he was. He said he was lucky enough to be from Wisconsin and to be able to serve on the Wisconsin, just luck of the draw. Then I got a better look at his hat. It had several medals and ribbons on it, including a bronze star! He was a gunners mate 1st class he said and was in battles in Leyte, Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Japan, and other places up until the end of the war. We ended up talking for about 30 minutes or so until his wife came looking for him. I shook his hand and thanked him. What really struck me was how fast he came back with "I was just doing my job." Very humble. I was also a little surprised that I would stop him and ask him about it. He said most people don't remember and those who do, don't care.

It is a very sad that they don't get more credit and recognition. Please don't forget our veterans, those from years past as well as those serving now.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    My uncle was in the 3rd wave of the invasion of Utah Beach. He would never talk about it except on this day. He would only say "today was when I got into the war."

I saw a guy at the grocery store this morning who had a hat on from the USS Wisconsin, a battleship. I asked him if he was on the Wisconsin and he said yes he was. He said he was lucky enough to be from Wisconsin and to be able to serve on the Wisconsin, just luck of the draw. Then I got a better look at his hat. It had several medals and ribbons on it, including a bronze star! He was a gunners mate 1st class he said and was in battles in Leyte, Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Japan, and other places up until the end of the war. We ended up talking for about 30 minutes or so until his wife came looking for him. I shook his hand and thanked him. What really struck me was how fast he came back with "I was just doing my job." Very humble. I was also a little surprised that I would stop him and ask him about it. He said most people don't remember and those who do, don't care.

It is a very sad that they don't get more credit and recognition. Please don't forget our veterans, those from years past as well as those serving now.
    That sentence probably succinctly sums up just what is wrong with our education system and our values as a society. Cripes, those two doofus who snuck into the White house are still getting press.

Thread Information