Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Please Please Help!! Two offers....

Two departments. Dept 1-Big City Dept close by Dept 2-Big County Dept 45 minutes away

I really want to work for the city, very close knit dept, exciting work, experience, busy, good rapport with employees. County is close knit, little slower, more rural. Not as diverse in the calls. Both depts have great benefits and pay. County is Florida Retirement System, City is private, but excellent.

Process with city has lasted 6+ months now. Interviewed with County, came out to my car, had message from City to take psych 2 1/2 months after polygraph. County has been about a month now for their process. They are ready to hire so I expect to hear soon.

What it all boils down to is that I really want to work for the city, but what do I do if the County offers? Psych for city is at Station 1, so do I ask to meet with the captain when it's done, see what he says? I don't want to waste a dept's time or money, or take a good candidates spot only to leave for the city. Do I take the county and get the city next time around? Decline the county and wait for the city? Thought after that interview went great I would be stress free for a while, but that message has my head turning every which way. Thank you for your advice in advance, I really appreciate it.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Neither..........

You said the Magic Word - Florida. Bail, Head North, work in DC, Baltimore, or one of the Big Maryland Counties. 24/72 shift, Excellent Pay and Benefits, 20 year retirement in most places.......

Or - if you are compelled to stay, Your County FD has the Best Growth Potential. Department Grows to keep pace with overall growth potential of the County as a whole, there will be more opportunity for advancement.

I worked for a "City" for 4 years, Left it for a County Department, and never looked back. To this day, 44 years later, I am still convinced that I did the right thing. The County is still growing, the City has closed stations and downsized considerably, even before the current economic troubles.....

Thankfully, the City Downsized by not filling vacancies, no one was forced out.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

my choice wouldbe the city. tons of experience and a heck of a time. benefits or pay may not be as good as county but u cant put a price on working for a city FD
    100% VOLUNTEER

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    You said the Magic Word - Florida. Bail, Head North, work in DC, Baltimore, or one of the Big Maryland Counties. 24/72 shift, Excellent Pay and Benefits, 20 year retirement in most places.......
    Its too cold up there!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Uh Huh.............

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Its too cold up there!

Yeah, but the Cold keeps the Pythons in check......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Plenty of fire to keep you warm too!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Take whichever job gets offered to you first- and remain loyal to them....

Let's say the County does indeed offer you a spot. And you turn it down in anticipation of the City job.

Then for some reason or another, the City bypasses you and you do not receive a job offer. What do you do then?

If the county calls you first, take the spot, and like I said, remain loyal to them, or else you will **** a lot of people off. People that could make things difficult for you to get hired anywhere else, including the City.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Take whichever job gets offered to you first- and remain loyal to them....

Let's say the County does indeed offer you a spot. And you turn it down in anticipation of the City job.

Then for some reason or another, the City bypasses you and you do not receive a job offer. What do you do then?

If the county calls you first, take the spot, and like I said, remain loyal to them, or else you will **** a lot of people off. People that could make things difficult for you to get hired anywhere else, including the City.
    Exactly. You have not been offered anything yet. You must be the reason they tell recruits to not quit thier jobs unitl an offer is in hand. Just because you test for a department doesn't mean your hired.
    FF/Paramedic

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    A hand in the bush is worth all the birds in the world.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Guys, I know I do not have any offers yet. I am just looking for advice if this situation were to come up. Would it be improper of me to ask the Capt in charge of new hires if he has a minute when I am at HQ after my psych? Really this city is pretty much my dream job. I think I would regret not exhausting my options with them before signing on somewhere else. Thanks again everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    What's wrong with shaving...
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

My advise...for what it is worth....

In these economic times it would be foolish to turn down any job offer. You should take the county job in my opinion, of course if it is offered.

Also look at resident requirements. Is the city going to require you to live in the city? If so is the city pay worth the extra cost of living?

Also, got a good belly laugh out of the bush/birds crack!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with the others that say take whatever is offered to you first and stay with them. However, if you know that you'll never be happy knowing that you could have worked for the City, if the County calls and offers you a job, ask if you could meet with them the next day with some last minute questions. Call the Captain at the City and explain that the County has offered you a position but you'd rather work for them. I'm guessing he'll say take the job with the County unless they are ready to make you an offer on the spot. If they say they aren't ready for you yet, go with the County. Don't withdraw from the City until you are 100% hired (medical, approved by retirement, etc).

Punch both Chief's in the face, if one cries and threatens to sue, go with the other one.
    IAFF

Take the first one offered and stay there. Only caveat would be job security-is one having financial problems that may lead to layoffs?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Take the first job offered and keep your mouth shut about the other job.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

So contrary to the thread title, you actually have ZERO offers currently?

Look at it this way; whichever department offers you the dream job first is your dream department.

You cannot take a chance as well as show the audacity to turn down one or ask them to "hold that thought" of hiring you in the hopes the city FD will come a calling. A lot of money has already been invested by both departments to get you to this point. If you show that you weren't slightly interested in one, I wouldn't hesitate to round file your application package since you've just shown you're thinking with one foot out the door upon hire.

From your side, there is no negotiation. They'll move on to the next guy if you try to.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Yah the title was to just get the main point across. Not deception. Thank you for the advice, after talking with friends and hearing comments here, definitely will go with the first offer. But I do plan on trying to find out how the process will be progressing after this psych. I've heard it's going to speed up now. Thanks again, I'll be sure to let you know how the chief beatings go

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    A bird in the bush is better than all of the above
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thread Information