MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Riverboat bust nets 150 kg of cocaine

When I read the title, I thought, "Ok. What's Doug up to this time?" LOL

Riverboat bust nets 150 kg of cocaine

Agence France-Presse December 8, 2009

Dutch authorities have seized 150 kilograms of cocaine with a street value of $12 million from a riverboat, police said yesterday. The vessel was en route from Ghent, in northern Belgium, when it was stopped on Nov. 25. The drugs were said to have bben hidden on a ship coming from Latin America, and then transferred onto the riverboat. Police have arrested six people, of Dutch, Albanian and Venezuelan nationality.

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Forum Member

To quote a high school friend of mine when we heard sirens in the neighborhood and saw him dive into a bush near us to hide:"Y'all act like I'm not here."
    Actually,I'm still waiting for my settlement from work before I can go back on the river.
    20 years ago,when I worked for a line haul towboat outfit and we were picking up 32 barges in Reserve La,we were checking the tow out,especially the barges' wingtanks for water to see if the fleet was giving us any leakers when one guy found that he couldn't open a hatch on a barge.
    We all gathered around to see what was with that and someone got down and saw a welded bead around the hatch cover.
    We told the Captain who called the fleet office and they said that the police had advised them that if they found any barges like that to leave it alone and call them.
    The police and Coast Guard arrived and got into the wing tank to find it was packed with a "white powdery substance" packaged in plastic bags and located just far enough forward where it MIGHT not be seen when being checked out.(Differences in light levels during day and nighttime tow checks make it hard to see how muich water is in a wingtank)I don't know how high it was stacked.
    We were told to break it out of tow(right in the middle of that sucker,too.LOTS of wires and ratchets to undo)and I never heard anything else about it.
    I would hope that someone checked out where that barge had been loaded,where it was moored after loading it,who loaded it and decked on it during loading and local moves and where it was supposed to go to run down any lead that effort might generate.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Hmmm..........

Chesapeake Bay Country has a Lot of "Cigarette Boats" which got their name from being Long and Slim according to some folks. Others say that the name came as a result of their being used to haul bootleg tobacco products up the Bay to Baltimore, among other things............. At any rate, those suckers are FAST.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Great! Just Great!

Now I gotta make other plans and fast!!

I guess it won't be a "white" Christmas after all?
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Runners will use anything:go fast boats until they learned that was the first choice for stops,then they tried cabin cruisers,pontoon boats,bass boats,jet skis,a friend of mine on Portland PD heard of a guy on an INNERTUBE float getting nailed for 5 or 6 kilos up in Washington near the BC border.
    As long as they get enough by the patrols to pay for the losses,they can afford to be stopped by the law.
    I like to suggest to my cop friends to tell the press only half the amount that they confiscated.That way,when they release the guy,they can hand him a copy of the morning paper chronicling his stop and arrest so when the load's owner reads that his driver who told him he'd made no stops was caught with half of what he set out with.....

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Chesapeake Bay Country has a Lot of "Cigarette Boats" which got their name from being Long and Slim according to some folks. Others say that the name came as a result of their being used to haul bootleg tobacco products up the Bay to Baltimore, among other things............. At any rate, those suckers are FAST.......

Thread Information