Thread: New vs Used

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New vs Used

I had someone ask me from a neighboring jurisdiction about 2010 grant idea concerning trucks. They asked if they could apply for a used truck 2008/2009 tanker for theirs needs vs having to apply for 2010. They have been told they would have better odds at asking for a lower funded truck vs the new one. What opinions/facts are there that I could relay to them to help with their decision making process. Thanks

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tasmanga View Post
    I had someone ask me from a neighboring jurisdiction about 2010 grant idea concerning trucks. They asked if they could apply for a used truck 2008/2009 tanker for theirs needs vs having to apply for 2010. They have been told they would have better odds at asking for a lower funded truck vs the new one. What opinions/facts are there that I could relay to them to help with their decision making process. Thanks
    The benefit in asking for a "latemodel" used/demo truck would presumably be a lower purchase price. Thus the cost benefit ratio would be lower. Also increasing their match from 5% up to 15% or 20% would be likely to score higher & lower the cost benefit ratio. Other benefits are that they won't have to deal with the 2010 emissions engines ,so the cost will be lower by 8-10 k. I think there will be many departments looking to build on leftover 09 chassis to avoid the steep increase in 2010 chassis cost.

The problem with trying to buy used under the AFG program is that you never know when the award announcements will be made, and trying to secure a used truck while waiting to hear if you get an award may be next to impossible. If you have your eye on one now it might be next summer or fall before all the awards are released and that truck will most likely be gone.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 12-08-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added comments

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That's why they don't tend to do so well in review because the price is based on a truck that was available at application time and the department may not be able to find another one comparable within the 12 month performance period. We did one last year that was a tanker built on a refurbished commercial chassis, 500gpm/2000gal, applied for $95k project. Department ended up going to $105k on their own to go with the heavier chassis, but the project was funded. I think it's more doable in that sense on tankers since they are built more often on commercial chassis and have fewer restrictions in the NFPA category. IE easier to build like that.

Forum Member

When the grant is awarded and with the changing requirements this year with emissions will that added amount be able to be adjusted into a awarded amount? And if you put in for a used truck can you buy a new truck if the amounts are close?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Think you're asking if they are going to adjust up because of emissions cost increases and answer on that is no.

Would run the buying new after applying used one past them if you're awarded. I'm sure you can go that way but not buying used after applying new. After all in the case of asking used and finding new at the same price that's a heck of a cost-effective situation. Would make me wary of the new one being at that low of a price, but hey someone hits the lottery every now and again.

Thread Information