MAP
    Forum Member

Lightbulb How to make leather shields??

So lately if you have been reading recent posts in the thread "Phenix Leather Helmets" you may have noticed some talk about making your own leather shields. Some guys are pretty talented on this site and have been kind enough to share experience, knowledge, tips, and even pictures of some of their work. I made a suggestion to start a thread on how to make leather shields, because it seemed many people, including myself, have been interested. So here goes...

If any of you out there have any experience making leather helmet shields please be so kind as to give a how to guide. How to make them, where you may find the tools to do so, and/or pictures of your current work would be greatly appreciated!

I hope everyone is doing well, keeping safe, and having a happy holiday!!
    Last edited by MAP; 12-09-2009 at 12:32 AM.

Permanently Removed

Phenix has Sam Brown make their shields and he does a pretty good job of it.
    www.sambrownshields.com

Forum Member

To purchase the Sam Brown shield for the TL-2 you have to go through Phenix and order it from them.

Forum Member

For the record, this is a thread about actualy gathering the materials and tools and making your own leather shield...not buying one from a manufacterer.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    For the record, this is a thread about actualy gathering the materials and tools and making your own leather shield...not buying one from a manufacterer.
    Yes, I sawe that. But the cost, material and time would overrun just buying from the main manf.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Yes, I sawe that. But the cost, material and time would overrun just buying from the main manf.
    Most hobbies cost quite a bit of money.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

I occasionaly see blank leather shields on Ebay being sold as "For making your own fire shields" Seems like it would be a good start,

Forum Member

Don't pay any attention to him Bou. He is one like a read about in the past a6-20. Instead of having 6 months in and acting like 20yrs, he has 6yrs in. either way he's still got a way to go

Forum Member

It all depends on exactly what kind of shield you want to make and what you want it to look like. Generally, each maker has their own "trade secrets" but the basics can be found out through simple internet searches. Take a look at leatherworker.net. There is a lot to be found there. Like anything else, it takes practice, practice, practice. I look back at some of my first shields and cringe...

Stay safe,
    Andrew
    www.boxalarmleather.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy92cx View Post
    To purchase the Sam Brown shield for the TL-2 you have to go through Phenix and order it from them.
    Not true at all!
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Where is the fun in that though?

Quote Originally Posted by LT2387 View Post
    Don't pay any attention to him Bou. He is one like a read about in the past a6-20. Instead of having 6 months in and acting like 20yrs, he has 6yrs in. either way he's still got a way to go
    Um, who are you again? Oh thats right...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    I occasionaly see blank leather shields on Ebay being sold as "For making your own fire shields" Seems like it would be a good start,
    I had completly forgot about the blank shields...that would be a great starting point.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Well, it is cheaper and faster to buy a case of beer at the store, but I enjoy home brew better.

Forum Member

It appears that a lot of the commercially made shields I've used are multi layer. Yet some of the hand made shields look to only be 1 or 2 layers of leather. So I'm a bit confused on the basic construction of the shield. I can tinker around once I have a general idea of what is going on.

MAP
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    It appears that a lot of the commercially made shields I've used are multi layer. Yet some of the hand made shields look to only be 1 or 2 layers of leather. So I'm a bit confused on the basic construction of the shield. I can tinker around once I have a general idea of what is going on.
    From what I've researched so far you have two different choices.

Multi layers allowing you to have different color inserts, reflective fonts, and colored stitching. Easier to make but the sewing machine and the different materials makes it more expensive.

Single layer, although harder to make is far cheaper. Hammers, chisels, snips etc are cheap, but the craft, artistic skill and creativity takes practice and experience.

I'm looking to make a a single layer shield. Cheaper and I can make a one of a kind piece.

MAP
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CustomShields View Post
    It all depends on exactly what kind of shield you want to make and what you want it to look like. Generally, each maker has their own "trade secrets" but the basics can be found out through simple internet searches. Take a look at leatherworker.net. There is a lot to be found there. Like anything else, it takes practice, practice, practice. I look back at some of my first shields and cringe...

Stay safe,
    Andrew
    www.boxalarmleather.com
    Thanks! This website is fantastic and a great help. Can you post some pics of your recent stuff and maybe give us a few tips and how to get started?

Forum Member

Here are a couple carved....
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by CustomShields; 12-11-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Forum Member

A couple "3-D"... (3-D means that the letters actually "pop out" instead of just printed on)

Forum Member

...and a couple using Donnie's (www.boxalarmgraphics.com) artwork...

Forum Member

As far as getting started.... it all depends on the type of shield you want to produce, and how much you want to produce...
    For a hobby or to practice all you really need is a swivel knife, and exacto knife, some bevelers, a stitching awl (for hand stitching) with thread, and some craft paint... This is all I had when I started and it worked out for me...

Andrew
    www.boxalarmleather.com

Forum Member

Wow, that is some awesome work.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CustomShields View Post
    As far as getting started.... it all depends on the type of shield you want to produce, and how much you want to produce...
    For a hobby or to practice all you really need is a swivel knife, and exacto knife, some bevelers, a stitching awl (for hand stitching) with thread, and some craft paint... This is all I had when I started and it worked out for me...

Andrew
    www.boxalarmleather.com
    Andrew!!! You get the e-mail as you requested about my shield order?

Your friend in Raleigh.....

Forum Member

You know what? I put a "spam filter" on my email and didn't realize that it can also kick out real emails. Shoot me another one to follow up. We're actually getting ready to move into a new building to expand production (that's right... hopefully we'll whittle the waiting list down and people won't have to wait so long to get their order!) After we get settled, we should start cruising.
    Stay safe, brother

Forum Member

Start with good raw materials...
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Start with good raw materials...
    But first you have to go to the back of this fellow and grab his goodies that will make for a better front piece!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information