Forum Member

Default Would like some ideas for a table?

I have the rear windows to my favorite truck that was recently took out of service. I was thinking about turning at least one of them into a table but i'm having trouble coming up with something to use as legs? any ideas yall have are welcome as well as ideas with what to use the other window for or if you have a different idea involving both of them it is welcome as well below is a picture of one of the windows
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Table Base

Beer Keg, Engine Block, Four Brass fire extinguishers , Wood Wire Spool, Plastic Egg crates, Cement blocks, four sets of stacked nozzle tips, Hose reel tipped on its side, a couple of stereo speakers back to back, Large coil of 5" LD HOSE, Smoke ejector on its side, a couple of aluminum or chrome wheel rims, four engine cam shafts, manufactured stainless steel leg base. Whew, I ran out of Ideas! Help him out!

Forum Member

thanks the only one of those i had really thought of was the fire extingishers

MembersZone Subscriber

ive seen a table with the 5" hose coils for legs....that looks pretty nice and is inexpensive if your dept has some old hose around

Forum Member

If you have two windows how about using one as a glass top on a regular wooden table and put pictures of the truck in action under the glass? Kind of keeping the memory alive type of thing.

For legs you could use old hose and slide it over regular legs. It would look kind of cool having it supported by fire hose. Maybe get an old hydrant and use that as sole support in the center?

Hit this thread by mistake but it's a good idea.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

thanks was kinda thinkin about maybe turning one into a picture frame but not sure how easy the frame would be to make because of the rounded edges and wiether or not it would be to heavy to hang on the wall

Forum Member

Along with all the other random stuff I ponder while rolling down the road I thought about your idea.

For a table top you could either get a piece of wood slightly larger and router the shape of the glass into it. You could also cut the wood to a size smaller than the glass and cut grooves into a wood "frame" that would fit around the table. Similar to the panels in a door. Either way you could use some clear silicone around the edges to keep it fairly water tight if you wanted to display pictures under the glass.

I know it came out of the truck this way but would you have to keep the rounded corners? Perhaps you could have it cut so they were square depending on what you wind up doing with it.

Just some random Bohemian thoughts for you to consider in case they might actually help you with your project.
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Forum Member

thanks again still trying to work out some more ideas

Forum Member

My family has a table with glass in-laid in a wood frame. Very nice looking. The glass is removable to clean it and the wood. It basically just sits in there.

Forum Member

i'm thinkin that might be the way to go find a small coffee or end table ant take a router so the window will set inside the table with some pictures under it maybe

Forum Member

I have a glass table that is supported with 2 4 leg stands, the legs are simple poles with a suction cup on the glass end.

That, or use an old crate motor with the pistons pulled and faced out of the motor for your support.

Forum Member

see if you can find old axe's and holligan bars shave them down and place glass on top. old SCBA bottles.

Forum Member

Since I'm a wood guy I'd make the legs and frame out of wood androute out a place to drop in the glass. For the less shop savvy,perhaps some simple 2x4 legs sheathed in hard suck hose?

Thread Information