Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Can I work in U.S, Canada or Australia ??

Hi there,

I am a London Firefighter in the UK.
    I'm looking to move to the U.S, canada or Australia and woukd like to continue my career as a firefighter.
    Can I transfer over to either countries fire depts as a British firefighter ??
    I noticed on the forum there is an opportunity to do exchanges, but I'm looking for a permanent move..........Any help ??
    Stay Safe
    Anna

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaW View Post
    Hi there,

I am a London Firefighter in the UK.
    I'm looking to move to the U.S, canada or Australia and woukd like to continue my career as a firefighter.
    Can I transfer over to either countries fire depts as a British firefighter ??
    I noticed on the forum there is an opportunity to do exchanges, but I'm looking for a permanent move..........Any help ??
    Stay Safe
    Anna

Anna, welcome to the forums.

Most departments in the US require applicants to made an application, if selected to sit the written exam, do that and if you score high enough to take the physical (practical) exam you are invited to that part.

Most paid departments will get anywhere from 1500 to 4000 or more applications! Depending on the department, its size and turnover, some hired as little as 30 to 50 over the year or two the certificated list is good for while some may hire over 1000.

Having completed those steps, you have to score high enough over all to get an invitation for an interview and should you get past that step, you are sent for a complete medical physical and for the most part you can't fail any part of that. Then if everything is all good the department will hire you are a recruit firefighter and you will attend their local fire academy which may last 20 to 26 weeks!

In my old department you are on the pay roll during training and when you graduate, which most do, you are assigned to an active fire company as a probationary firefighter for 1 year. At the end of the year, having learn further firefighting skills and other things you are given an exam on everything you were suppose to learn over the past 12 months. Failing the final probationary exam is grounds for dismissal!

I hope will help you and is wasn't meant to scare you.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Anna,
    In short... for the US & Canada... No!!!

The system of Firefighting in the USA & Canada is almost totally different from the way it is done by us in the UK, Eurpoe and the rest of the World. Like everywhere else in the World, Firefighting is a popular job and there is no shortage of the Countries own citizens queuing up for jobs as CaptOldTimer points out.

Even if you were lucky enough to hold dual Nationality or miraculously slip through the long drawn out process of becoming a Citizen, then got through the application process (that frankly comparisons show may not be as friendly in the E&D arena as ours) then your skills attained with LFB would be redundant so you'd have to train again from the beginning.

Funnily enough, this topic has also come up on the UK Fire Service forum recently.... below is a quote from a retired Greater Manchester Ff who now lives in NY State (Because his wife is a US Citizen) that he posted relating to becoming a Firefighter with FDNY...

Please note, I am simply quoting someone else and can't verify this as being an accurate reflection of FDNY recruitment requirements, but have no reason to doubt it.

To be hired as a New York City Firefighter, you must:
    Pass both the written and physical exams;
    Pass a medical exam and background investigation;
    Be at least 21 years of age;
    Be a U.S. citizen;
    Have at least 15 college semester credits earned as a result of satisfactory completion of course work at a college or university accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education or full time military service with an honorable discharge; (in the UK = a BSc/BA degree)
    Hold a motor vehicle driver's license valid in New York State;
    Be a resident of one of the five boroughs of New York City, or live in Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk or Westchester County;
    Be a Certified First Responder with Defibrillation
    I am quite well known in LFB for my contacts in the USA, plenty of LFB staff have got in touch with me over the years to try to get over to the US as much as others from the US have enquired about coming here to the UK to work as Ff's. Both ways, with Citizenship issues, demand for Firefighting jobs and operating differences it is 99% impossible.... The best I got was one of my Ff's a few years ago when I was Stn Commander at Homerton had the possibility of a job offer in South Carolina... trouble was, his family was way up in Boston?

You may stand a better chance in Australia, where Urban Firefighting is very much based on the British system, but again, there are plenty of people in the Urban & Metropolitain areas who want the job. You may be able to get something, possibly as a volunteer ff in some of the large Regional Fire Authorities such as the CFA in Victoria?

Sorry I couldn't give you any better news!
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Thread Information