MembersZone Subscriber

Default What to do when you don't make probation

Hey guys... I messed up kinda bad. I was a month away from getting off of probation when I made a bad mistake... I looked at my schedule wrong and didn't show up to work when I was supposed to be there. Although it was an honest mistake, the village decided to let me go. I feel horrible... and I know I messed up a good thing. As much as I would love to go back in time and fix my mistake, I know I cannot. My question is... aside from being honest, what do I tell a future potential employer? Yes, I was terminated for my own mistake. I know from speaking with my officer after I lef that operations wise I was doing a great job... and that I am a good medic and a good firefighter. How do I convince a new chief to give me a chance and not just push me aside and find a reason not to hire me?

MembersZone Subscriber

If your former officer is willing to serve as a reference, it may help. But like you said, be honest. Also, sit back and think of a method you can put into place that will prevent this from happening again. This way, you can say "I messed up because I thought I was on a different day. I have already done xxxx to prevent this from happening again." Emphasize that operationally and socially you were doing great. It may take a little bit of time to recover so find something you can do in the mean time and stick with that job and never call in sick (unless you really are of course). Show the reliability and dedication in everything you can.

Forum Member

Why did they fire you for not showing up just the one time, if it was an honest mistake? Espically if your doing a good job. Did they call you when you didn't show up?

Forum Member

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there looking for jobs in the fire service who don't have difficulties reading schedules. Give them the jobs. If you make an "honest mistake" reading a schedule, how many more "honest mistakes" might you make in your career when there's more on the line?

Forum Member

Not calling you out or anything, but I'm wondering if there might have been more history involved in their decision?
    By the 11 month of a probationary year, the dept has invested a considerable amount of time and resources into your training, money that is completely wasted if you are fired. (or the 5th month of a 6 month probation, whatever).
    Unless you committed one of the deadly no-no's (ie lying, stealing, drunk...), most depts would give you counseling, document the problem, and ensure it wasn't going to be an on going issue.
    For you to really move on from this problem and become a successful candidate in the future, you must be certain that the ONLY reason you were fired is because you missed work 1 shift. If that is correct, and you can get a reference from the LT, you should be able to move forward.

Just make sure that there were not some other issues the dept was concerned about, and this was the last event in a chain.

Good Luck.

Forum Member

None of this makes sense.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default !

Dude- I'm guessing you raised the ire of the wrong smoke-eater and he wanted you gone. I have seen probies mess up bad but they only get dismissed if they make the big dogs mad.

Permanently Removed

OP- There might have been some history prior and this was the last straw or ammo they needed to get rid of you.

Here are some thoughts-

- Is there an appeal process? Can you go in front of the village and appeal?

- You are a medic? Time to move on since those skills are in demand. Consider a private ambulance job to hold you over.

- Now is not the time to be picky in a career search. Start really looking around and branching out. Again, the medic cert is the key.

- Any future endeavors, you need to be honest on what happened.

Good luck.

Forum Member

being late is the only way we at our job can guarantee a dissmissal.

Forum Member

I gotta go with the others.....I dont think you are telling us the whole story here......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information