Forum Member

Default First Responder/Command Vehicle

I need some help. I have been looking for several months for some place that issues Grants for First Responder/Command Vehicles and I am running into one brick wall after another. Does anyone out there know of a place that has given out this type of Grant. I know that the FEMA Grant has in the past but that is such a long shot for this type of request. Any other ideas out there?

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by nwchief262 View Post
    I need some help. I have been looking for several months for some place that issues Grants for First Responder/Command Vehicles and I am running into one brick wall after another. Does anyone out there know of a place that has given out this type of Grant. I know that the FEMA Grant has in the past but that is such a long shot for this type of request. Any other ideas out there?
    I don't think you will find one.

There are departments that don't have SCBA, let alone a nice fire SUV.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

These types of vehicles are usualy low priority when it comes time to give out grants for apparatus, no matter what kind of department you are.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Maybe Santa will bring you one, that is if youse guys have been nice!

You may be better off asking the local car dealer for a "donation" on what you guys are looking for.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Your best bet would be a local foundation.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

A dept near us had one donated from another fire company. Keep looking and don't give up, you may find one.

MembersZone Subscriber

The FEMA grants are not for command vehicles, at least not SUV type vehicles. If you get anything for a command vehicle, it is usually for the large bus or RV type command vehicle. And even then, they are awarded only for mulit-jurisdiction type vehicles.

Otherwise, the priority is for apparatus.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Some of the resources we have been in touch with in the past, this might give you an idea where to ask:

State Forestry Department
    State Surplus Department
    Highway Patrol
    Sheriff Department
    Large City Police Departments
    (All these often have old/surplus SUV's they can donate/sell cheap)

Large Oil Coorporation - they go through SUV's like candy, often donate old ones to local agencies. Pretty any large company that keeps a large motor pool might be worth getting in touch with.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Utility companies as well.

Forum Member

A neighboring dept. near mine just recently purchased or had one donated? an suv that the local police dept retired. After so many miles they retire the vehicles as cruisers. The fire dept came into ownership of the vehicle and loaded it down. Now it is the chiefs vehicle and has all of the command/accountability supplies that one could ever want or need.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zackman1801 View Post
    A neighboring dept. near mine just recently purchased or had one donated? an suv that the local police dept retired. After so many miles they retire the vehicles as cruisers. The fire dept came into ownership of the vehicle and loaded it down. Now it is the chiefs vehicle and has all of the command/accountability supplies that one could ever want or need.
    There are many ways you can get your hands on a used SUV. One of the benefits of getting one from PD or State Troopers is that they already come with the right equipment to handle the power draw from lights/siren. You don't have to worry about blowing the electric.

More EMS agencies are using SUV's as well, so that might be another source you might consider.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Default Suv

You may want to check into Homeland Security (HS) funding. Even if HS funding is not available to purchase a SUV, it may be available to equip it. An example would be communication equipment (radio, etc).

If this vehicle is designated the incident command vehicle for your FD, that designation could help justify recieving HS funding. If you have a high risk hazard (rail line, chemical plant, etc.) or homeland security "sensitive" area(s), like a military installation, airport, etc. that could possibly be used to justify HS funding.

Your county or state emergency management coordinator can help provide info on current or upcoming funding.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Thread Information