Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Missouri RHSOC money

Missouri RHSOC grants are now in the budget process - get your request into your regional RHSOC rep. Better do it QUICK. Lots of interoperable communications money available, as wel as CBRNE money.

(If you don't know who that is, contact SEMA - Homeland Security Grants)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Missouri RHSOC grants are now in the budget process - get your request into your regional RHSOC rep. Better do it QUICK. Lots of interoperable communications money available, as wel as CBRNE money.

(If you don't know who that is, contact SEMA - Homeland Security Grants)

Hmmm, I was told by my RHSOC rep that there was NOT going to be any money for communications.

Your RHSOC rep is incorrect. Ok, let me clarify that. Justification #5 from the state for the FY09 Investment Justifications is for communications. Your RHSOC may vote to spend the money on the other justifications however.

Scream. The RHSOC's work off the squeaky wheel process.

There are some new rules about the radios - but they are still funded.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I need to see what I need and find out who my rep is.

The thing is, I've got narrow-band radios and so far enough of them. The only thing I've really thought of is a interop console, or whatever they all those things that you can interconnect different frequency bands and bridge two different frequencies. Something we can use county-wide simply by getting it to the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I guess I need to see what I need and find out who my rep is.

The thing is, I've got narrow-band radios and so far enough of them. The only thing I've really thought of is a interop console, or whatever they all those things that you can interconnect different frequency bands and bridge two different frequencies. Something we can use county-wide simply by getting it to the scene.
    You can get a bridge - personally I don't care for bridges, I think they are dangerous.

By the time this is all said and done, you will most likely be required to have radios that are going to be compliant with the new state radio system, P25 VHF TRUNKING. Or maybe not - the Greene County/Joplin system may be what you have to play to. I can check if you want.

What we are doing is looking at outfitting command staff with the radios.

There is a group of thought that all you will need to do is to have a method of accessing that new system - even if you buy 20 narrowband analog radios, and a P25 trunking radio for dispatch to contact the state system that would comply. Maybe. More guidance will be forthcoming after January and the state advisory council meeting.

Ain't it fun?

Also, in the past there has to have been little justification on the radios, this time the RHSOC will have to submit an executive summary as to your use of the radios to ensure compliance when they submit their plan to the state.

Forum Member

Default Our toys..

Heres a pic of the "big black box" our homeland security region allocated funds to each county for. It works quite well cross-banding VHF/UHF/800's.

The actual bridge is a Raytheon unit and very user friendly....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

I guess I shoulda mentioned we are in Kansas.

Forum Member

Ain't it fun?
    No it's not, radio stuff gives me a serious headache, I think what we're talking about is the difference between regions, I contacted my Region rep yesterday, they are NOT doing any communications stuff this go round, but he wouldn't ell me exactly what they had in mind yet. Within the last month they sent questionares out to all the Dept.'s in the region asking for what we had, not what we wanted, so I'm thinking they think can figure out ehat we need, I have my doubts!

In the past we have gotten most all our radios replaced plus got 10K for a repeater for our station

RHSOC meetings are OPEN meetings. Go and raise a stink. Most of them do NOT have the participation that they should, and if the fire service does not have their rep there, I guarantee you that very few of the other groups are going to state that they need to wait and see what the fire service wants.

Drop me an email - I can share a bit more.

bbowers@mozarks.com

Region B is looking at a semi/tractor to pull Hannibal's Live Fire Trainer and A vehicle locating system.

Region G got a very nice tractor for its hazmat trailer through the local beer distributor - for a song.

There are so many ways to get a cheap tractor, I hope they check them out instead of new for a truck that will not put many miles on in a year.

The AVL - are they looking at commercial airtime, or setting up their own infrastructure? It is nowhere near as expensive as people think to set up their own system.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

To post in what Roger (neiowa) usually harps on, there are all sort of DOD surplus tractors out there too. Low price to free is a real nice way to get things.

I had thought about that. Hannibal, where the trailer is based out of, is not eligible through FEPP/FPP through Missouri Conservation - but if one of the rural departments took possession of the tractor, that would work.

Forum Member

I had thought about that. Hannibal, where the trailer is based out of, is not eligible through FEPP/FPP through Missouri Conservation - but if one of the rural departments took possession of the tractor, that would work.
    I was just at Lebannon Conversation office this week and they had a real nice tractor setting on the lot. I think it was a peterbuilt turned in by a fire department.
    God made firefighters so cops can have a hero

Thread Information