Forum Member

Default Personal gas meters?

Anybody have any reccomendations?

Ideally, something with Carbon Monoxide plus combustibles. But right now, the request was Carbon Monoxide. Looking for small, personal meters. The type that could be clipped to gear and worn that has an audible alarm if a threshold is reached. We are not looking for a meter that takes measurements but must be hand carried.

I tried searching the forums with no luck. If there is a thread i missed, by all means post a link and ill delete this post.

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

We run single gas CO meters on all our EMS jump bags as well as one for each officer on duty. The ones carried by officers ride in the engine or truck at the officers seat and they determine whether their taken or not. They used to be clipped the the handstraps of the TICs but upon entering an actual fire they go into alarm instantly, so this was stopped quickly. Most of the personal size monitor are set to alarm at 35 ppm (8 hr. OSHA permissible level) and except for a few they don't start reading until 15-20 ppm. As our SOG's require action with regard to occupants at 9 ppm we've gone to another unit that reads from zero on up, but still alarms at 35 ppm which is where we are required to mask up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    As our SOG's require action with regard to occupants at 9 ppm we've gone to another unit that reads from zero on up, but still alarms at 35 ppm which is where we are required to mask up.
    What unit make and model is that?

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree that gas monitors are a good item, however concerned that there are many other harmful gases/products produced by fire.

Pls tell us why a single gas monitor only.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyleach View Post
    I agree that gas monitors are a good item, however concerned that there are many other harmful gases/products produced by fire.

Pls tell us why a single gas monitor only.
    Because not all the situations we deal with are fire related. During a fire situation or overhaul, meter or not, we will assume that the air is unsafe and we will mask up and keep them on untill a safety officer has tested the air using a handheld multigas meter and deemed it to be safe.

The reason for the Co meter to be worn is more then anything on non fire calls. If we are walking around a building investigating an automatic alarm for example, a defective heating unit could filling the air with Co. We deal with tunnels as well. A simple tunnel rescue could be compounded by a Co issue without any flame present due to vehicles.

Again, we are looking for small, personal meters to alarm at a preset level. We still have and will continue to use a handheld monitor to gather more accurate and widespread readings. But we want everyone to be protected even if they are not standing right next to the person with the multigas meter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    What unit make and model is that?
    BW Gasalert Extreme is what we carry for CO specific calls as it measures from zero up and the EMS kit units are Badge Rae's.

Billy, I'm not sure exactly what WD is looking for, but we use the CO meters as another way of checking for CO on routine calls. With tight houses and everyone using anything they can for heat, we're now checking flu-like symptoms calls for CO. Our EMS crews request an engine if they get anything on their meter. We've had a few calls where we've discovered an unknown CO issue. We use the reading meter for more finite determination of a suspected CO issue.

As for the gases present at a fire, as I write on my medical question when it asks what we might be exposed to: "Any and all at indeterminable levels for an indeterminate period of time." We don't use the CO meters to determine safe mask doffing, as no amount of meters can be certain to cover the potential exposure.

Forum Member

After a long hard battle, we use the Scott CO Zero Maintenance on all our first in bags.

Forum Member

I know when I fart. Why would I need a meter?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    I know when I fart. Why would I need a meter?
    have you ever farted into a meter? you can get a multi gas to alarm on most of the gasses.

i like the idea of a CO meter on the EMS bag. Would be a great idea for those of us in furnace country. We've had some near misses where a guy on the crew grabs the gas meter on an EMS run, but what happens when the crew doesn't think to grab it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    have you ever farted into a meter? you can get a multi gas to alarm on most of the gasses.

i like the idea of a CO meter on the EMS bag. Would be a great idea for those of us in furnace country. We've had some near misses where a guy on the crew grabs the gas meter on an EMS run, but what happens when the crew doesn't think to grab it.
    Exactly why I fought so hard to get them.

Thread Information