Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default How many of you have dept.'s with hydrant bags on the apparatus?

Hello all,

Just curious as to how many of you work/vol. at dept's that utilize or don't utilize hydrant bags on their apparatus. And, if you don't, just curious as to why. The dept. I was with had them on all of the apparatus, even the trucks, as they had pumps also. I just figure that if all of your apparatus carried a complete hydrant bag, with 2.5 and a steamer cap just in case, this would eliminate the need for running back and forth to the rig to get gear you might need that you didn't foresee needing before catching the hydrant. At least that's why we had them anyway. In our bags we carried Three different hydrant wrenches that we might would encounter in the city or county, and four spanner wrenches, two for lug couplings and two for Storz couplings, we kept a hydrant gate as well, which got put on whether or not LDH was used (just in case), the caps for a hydrant (again, just in case), Oh, and the steamer adapter for the Storz couplings on the LDH and an adater for the LDH adapter to go on a 2.5 outlet, again, just in case. If yours carries more I'd like to hear about it. Again, this is just curiousity, not really any right or wrong here in my opinion. But, I do think it would help anyone not running a rig with a hydrant bag to maybe consider making one up to save time and energy on the fireground, maybe this thread could be of help.

Adam
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 12-11-2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Changed halp to help.

We carry 3 bags that contain a wide array of STUFF.

Bag 1
    3" (2.5") Hydrant Gate (2x)
    4.5" Hydrant Gated Y
    4.5" x 6" adaptor
    3" x 2.5" adaptor

*** Water Thief carried on Tailboard and grabbed with LDH.

Bag 2
    4" Gated Y
    5" Gated Y
    4.5" x 4" adaptor
    4.5" x 5" adaptor
    5" x 6" adaptor
    5" x 4" adaptor
    A few unidentified things we have found useful-mostly due to human engineering in foreign districts.

Bag 3
    Storz adaptors
    Caps, Spanners, Hydrant tools
    Hose Jacket & Clamp
    Kitchen Sink - (no... just remembered-we took that out)
    And every possible device known to man.

A 4th Bag contains bridges and ramps but is only used at the point where hoses cross roadways. We usually will place these near the hydrant or the firegound so we don't leave guys on the side of the road. About 60% of the fires are on the wrong side of the road. We are having Planning & Logistics Personnel investigate this issue to see if we can't get everyone to agree to have their fires on the correct side of the road and near the hydrant.

Since we serve a very large mutual aid area, there are various types of hydrants in use. Most of ours are 4.5" w/ (2) 2.5" Dry Barrell.

We found it easier to carry the store than depend on the local guys to supply what we may encounter.

Needless to say, the bags are heavy and take two guys to drop. It looks like a heavily armed swat team preparing for an assualt when they stake out the water supply.

If we are on our own hydrants, we just need Bags 1 and 3.

Primary Engines carry all 3 bags. Secondary Engines only carry bag 1 with wrenches added. We send a Water Supply Engine to the Hydrant that carries additional and redundant backup equipment. It carries enough stuff that a hydrant overhaul can be performed on the fly.

I will add, we carry too much stuff and some stuff has never seen the light of day. But when you need it, you need it.

We don't use hydrant bags. All hydrants in the area are the same. Our threaded to Stortz adapter is on the end of the hose already so all we need is the hose and 1 hydrant wrench. Our supply lines are 5".

I can definitely see the need for a bag in an area that faces many different hydrant options.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Bones you guys don't put a gate valve on one of the 2.5 connections on the hydrant? Why not?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hydrant bag

Our dept recently took off humat valves off the engine. our hydrant bag consists of a storz to NT adapter, hydrant wrench, and 2 spanners

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    We carry 3 bags that contain a wide array of STUFF.

Bag 1
    3" (2.5") Hydrant Gate (2x)
    4.5" Hydrant Gated Y
    4.5" x 6" adaptor
    3" x 2.5" adaptor

*** Water Thief carried on Tailboard and grabbed with LDH.

Bag 2
    4" Gated Y
    5" Gated Y
    4.5" x 4" adaptor
    4.5" x 5" adaptor
    5" x 6" adaptor
    5" x 4" adaptor
    A few unidentified things we have found useful-mostly due to human engineering in foreign districts.

Bag 3
    Storz adaptors
    Caps, Spanners, Hydrant tools
    Hose Jacket & Clamp
    Kitchen Sink - (no... just remembered-we took that out)
    And every possible device known to man.

A 4th Bag contains bridges and ramps but is only used at the point where hoses cross roadways. We usually will place these near the hydrant or the firegound so we don't leave guys on the side of the road. About 60% of the fires are on the wrong side of the road. We are having Planning & Logistics Personnel investigate this issue to see if we can't get everyone to agree to have their fires on the correct side of the road and near the hydrant.

Since we serve a very large mutual aid area, there are various types of hydrants in use. Most of ours are 4.5" w/ (2) 2.5" Dry Barrell.

We found it easier to carry the store than depend on the local guys to supply what we may encounter.

Needless to say, the bags are heavy and take two guys to drop. It looks like a heavily armed swat team preparing for an assualt when they stake out the water supply.

If we are on our own hydrants, we just need Bags 1 and 3.

Primary Engines carry all 3 bags. Secondary Engines only carry bag 1 with wrenches added. We send a Water Supply Engine to the Hydrant that carries additional and redundant backup equipment. It carries enough stuff that a hydrant overhaul can be performed on the fly.

I will add, we carry too much stuff and some stuff has never seen the light of day. But when you need it, you need it.
    WOW, that is a lot os tuff. But, better safe than sorry. i just thank God the dept. i was with didn't have tnat much variation on hydrants.

Oh, and the part highlighted in red, too funny. It always seems fire has that nasty little habit of being where it's the most work to get to it, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by mmagette View Post
    Bones you guys don't put a gate valve on one of the 2.5 connections on the hydrant? Why not?
    Nope. Why? Never had a need to add a 2 1/2" line to a hydrant once it's hit. With the 5" on, we get every bit of water that hydrant can give us already. If we need more water, we go to another hydrant. I have yet to have any of our hydrants out supply an engine.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

We used to carry a siamese, a gate valve, spanners, wrench.

When we went to LDH, we leave the 30 degree Storz to steamer connection on the hose in the bed and have a storz/hydrant wrench combo deal in a bag attached to the LDH.

We don't put a gate on the 2 1/2 anymore, as Bones put it, we get all we need from that 5 inch.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

We have hydrant bags on both of our engines, and on our pumper/tanker. They all contain the same things:

2.5" to 5" adapter
    (2) 2.5" gate valves
    Storz spanner wrenches
    Rubber mallet
    Hydrant wrench

MembersZone Subscriber

Much like Bones, all of our hydrants (where we have them) are the same, so no need for a hydrant bag. We keep a hydrant wrench with the Humat and just attach the Humat directly to the hydrant.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Much like Bones, all of our hydrants (where we have them) are the same, so no need for a hydrant bag. We keep a hydrant wrench with the Humat and just attach the Humat directly to the hydrant.
    And that's great if you never run mutual aid. We do and some of our mutual aid partners still have some double 2 1/2 inch hydrants.

It gets even more fun if we are talking about filling tankers. Then we need 2 1/2 NST, 4 and 5 inch Storz and 2 1/2 inch cam lock fittings. talk about a nightmare.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Ditto here.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    And that's great if you never run mutual aid. We do and some of our mutual aid partners still have some double 2 1/2 inch hydrants.

It gets even more fun if we are talking about filling tankers. Then we need 2 1/2 NST, 4 and 5 inch Storz and 2 1/2 inch cam lock fittings. talk about a nightmare.
    Fortunately, all of our mutual aid hydrants are also the same. We have various fittings on the engines and tankers for filling them if needed. I guess we're just lucky to have everything standard. I can understand the purpose of the hydrant bag. I'm just glad we don't have to use one.

Fortunately, all of our mutual aid hydrants are also the same. We have various fittings on the engines and tankers for filling them if needed. I guess we're just lucky to have everything standard. I can understand the purpose of the hydrant bag. I'm just glad we don't have to use one.
    Ditto here, except what is a tanker?

TODAYS LESSON :
    FIRE APPARATUS DEFINITIONS

Tanker = Big Truck with a Big Tank full of Water.

Tank = Name:  tank1.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  2.6 KB Not this one!

Tank = Name:  tank2.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  3.2 KB More like this...

Air Support! = Name:  Air support.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  1.7 KB
    That is not a Tanker. That is only a very ugly rumor.

Tender = Name:  tender.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  2.3 KB

TANKER = Name:  tanker.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  18.0 KB

This concludes todays Lesson.

Thanks for stopping by.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post

Yeah, Dalton still has some of the old Columbia hydrants (two 2.5 outlets), we keep and adapter that goes from 2.5 threaded to 4" Storz for those.

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry hydrant bags on all our engines. They contain a hydrant wrench and 2 spanner wrenches. The 4 1/2 to storz is already on the hose. If we reverse lay there is a spare 4 1/2 to storz in the drivers compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post

This concludes todays Lesson.

Thanks for stopping by.
    I agree with you 100% and will laugh when the left coasters come on here to try and convince you that you are wrong. I was inferring to the fact that we have plenty of hydrants; we dont need tankers.

FWDbuff ------------>

I was just trying to advance the cause.

I did leave out one part of the lesson however. "The difference between an Engine and a Pumper".

That will start alot of debate, and I didn't think it was proper when we are talking about WATER SUPPLY.

This is a great discussion and I just can't bring myself to screw it up. I've learned a little about some of the issues others face.

But I do appreciate the vote of confidence and your solid approval.

MembersZone Subscriber

Engines and water supply reel truck have bags.

Thread to 5" storz
    4 to 5 storz
    2.5 gate
    1 small 2 large spanners
    mallet
    wrench

Thread Information