Or just a Darwin Contender?
Man lights himself on fire outside Royal Jubilee Hospital
By Richard Watts, Times Colonist December 10, 2009
A 23-year-old man turned himself into a human torch yesterday at the Royal Jubilee Hospital in full view of a team of construction workers erecting the new patient-care tower.
Saanich police Const. Paul Lamoureux said the 23-year-old man set himself on fire in a parking lot in front of the entrance to the hospital parkade shortly before 2:45 p.m. The man’s identity was not released and an investigation is underway. He was in critical condition at the hospital last night.
“We don’t know why,” said Lamoureux. “He brought gasoline to the site and doused himself with gasoline and lit himself on fire.”
Witnesses said the man’s screams and the sight of the flames, over a metre taller than his head, attracted attention of those nearby, including construction crews taking afternoon coffee.
“It was just at break time so a lot of men saw it,” said construction worker Daniel Carlos.
“We got the call on the radio. The call went out: ‘A man is burning on the lot.’”
He said he and about four nearby workers grabbed fire extinguishers and ran out, thinking it was a construction worker on the building site. But then they saw the man was on hospital grounds.
Carlos said the flames were “four to five feet off the top of his head, totally engulfed in flames.
“He was running around and waving his arms and flailing about,” he said. “Then the security guard came up and tackled him with blankets.”
Carlos said construction workers mostly held back when they saw medical staff were quickly at the man’s side. And the whole incident left the work site “sombre.”
“I hope the guy is OK, I’m sure I speak for everybody,” he said.
James Hanson, corporate director for protective services for the Vancouver Island Health Authority, said the man’s screams first alerted the security guard to the situation.
“We were very lucky we had a security officer within about 30 feet,” said Hanson. “He responded within about 30 seconds.”
“Members of the care staff and our security staff were able to put the man out using blankets and other devices like a fire extinguisher,” he said.
Hanson said he personally arrived just in time to see the man being loaded into an ambulance.
Visibly shaken, he was unable to offer a description of how the man looked. “It was traumatizing, that’s all I can say.”
Vancouver Island Health Authority have offered counselling services for staff members who might be suffering any emotional hangovers from witnessing the incident.
The man lit himself on the tarmac area between the parkade entrance and the Memorial Pavilion, one of the older buildings on the Royal Jubilee site.
The precise location of the spot where the man actually set himself on fire had police in a quandary over who should take charge.
With part of the Royal Jubilee site lying within Victoria and part lying within Saanich, both forces sent officers to the scene. Before the formal investigation began it was decided it was in the Saanich half, so its police force took responsibility for the case.
It is not known if the man had any connection to that particular building or anything else to do with the hospital or the Vancouver Island Health Authority.
© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
A police officer photographs the scene where a man set himelf alight outside Jubilee Hospital Thursday afternoon.Photograph by: Debra Brash, Times Colonist
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread: Johnny The Torch?
12-11-2009, 08:31 AM #1
- Join Date
- Mar 2002
- Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
Johnny The Torch?
12-11-2009, 08:36 AM #2
It would seem that the guy did not get your memo MalahatTwo7.
12-11-2009, 08:08 PM #3
- Join Date
- May 2002
- Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!
He passed away last night from his injuries.September 11th - Never Forget
I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.
IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
RAY WAS HERE FIRST
12-11-2009, 08:17 PM #4
12-12-2009, 02:50 AM #5
Well . . . . . . . . . Never mind.Stay Safe
“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
- Capt. Marc Cox CFD
Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By DennisTheMenace in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 40Last Post: 03-17-2009, 09:10 PM
By dave29 in forum The Off Duty ForumsReplies: 12Last Post: 04-14-2007, 12:44 PM
By Ladder8 in forum The Off Duty ForumsReplies: 37Last Post: 08-24-2005, 10:14 AM
By firenresq77 in forum The Off Duty ForumsReplies: 25Last Post: 04-24-2005, 11:49 PM
By DaSharkie in forum The Off Duty ForumsReplies: 41Last Post: 04-12-2005, 09:42 PM