Forum Member

Default goggles for me please

ok im not sure if i am posting this in the right place nor and am i sure if it has been asked before...buuuuuut my department has issued me a cairns 1044 with the flip-down face visor because chief doesnt like that i have worn my cairns 1044 defender for a year now...he said " i want us all to look the same"....ok well anyways...im looking for a set of goggles that will mount up to post that the visor is mounted to...makes sense?...lol any ideas? tips? all will be greatly appreciated...thanks
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation and in no way meant to harm the reputation and name of said dept.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacook21 View Post
    ok im not sure if i am posting this in the right place nor and am i sure if it has been asked before...buuuuuut my department has issued me a cairns 1044 with the flip-down face visor because chief doesnt like that i have worn my cairns 1044 defender for a year now...he said " i want us all to look the same"....ok well anyways...im looking for a set of goggles that will mount up to post that the visor is mounted to...makes sense?...lol any ideas? tips? all will be greatly appreciated...thanks

You have two Cairns 1044's now?? Yours and the departments?

What is the deal?

Wear what the department issue you.
    Case closed.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Permanently Removed

I dont know if this will help or not, but I love the whole ESS google and sunglasses line- www.esseyepro.com

Forum Member

i have my defender haning on my wall at home...i am wearing what the dept issued me...im not system bucker i just asked about some goggles....thanks capt...and thanks callffbou
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation and in no way meant to harm the reputation and name of said dept.

Forum Member

because chief doesnt like that i have worn my cairns 1044 defender for a year now...he said " i want us all to look the same"....ok well anyways...im looking for a set of goggles that will mount up to post that the visor is mounted to...makes sense?...lol any ideas? tips? all will be greatly appreciated...thanks
    Why are you changing your helmet up when your chief has asked you not to? Sounds like insubordination to me.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

not changing just attempting to find better eye protection than just the visor

Permanently Removed

Cant blame someone for wanting to protect their eyes. Sometimes the Chiefs have limited vision. (no pun intended)

Forum Member

Put a pair of safety glasses in your pocket. Another option would be to take your cap out of your 1044 with your defender visor and install it in the department helmet and then you have both.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Buy a good pair of safety glasses and a hard case to keep them in. They are much cheaper, offer equal, or better protection and don't get all sooted or burned up sitting on the top of your helmet.

I had goggles for a while and simply hated them.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Buy a good pair of safety glasses and a hard case to keep them in. They are much cheaper, offer equal, or better protection and don't get all sooted or burned up sitting on the top of your helmet.

Same here. Safety glasses are the way to go. Goggles just feel funny.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

call, rescue and fyred thank you for not tryin to fry me for wanting to proctect myself...i could careless about burning up my defender if chief wants me to use his lid i just want to be safe...the saftey glasses idea sounds good ill try that first then maybe some goggles

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

call, rescue and fyred thank you for not tryin to fry me for wanting to proctect myself...i could careless about burning up my defender if chief wants me to use his lid i just want to be safe...the saftey glasses idea sounds good ill try that first then maybe some goggles
    Buy a good pair, not $50, but not $5.99 either.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Why are you changing your helmet up when your chief has asked you not to? Sounds like insubordination to me.
    ding ding ding!

Forum Member

not changing just attempting to find better eye protection than just the visor
    Not totally true, you said you were wearing a 1044 defender with flip down face visor in your first post, not anymore protection according to the standard of primary eye protection than a face shield. Goggles make the best protection. Several companies make a folding pair that will go in your pocket, that way you and the chief meet in the middle.

Forum Member

To improve goggles wear and vision take a couple of drops of dish detergent and rub on the inside and wipe dry (don't rinse). Its a diver trick that will keep them from fogging.

Back In Black

I agree Fyred 1000%.

This is exactly what I do.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

lt in no way am i tryin to argue or call you a lier but the defender shield on the 10440 provides much more protection than the old style visor on the 1044 i got issued...and yea while goggles do provide more protection than anyt other option are they the best option..im leaning towards the saftey glasses idea...and was just looking for a little input...not to be called insuborinate since i have in no way been...

Forum Member

I have to agree with Fyred on this one.

The goggles are good at protecting your eyes, but sometimes you encounter other issues. Once you have any moisture inside, you may as well be blind until your clear it. I use safety glasses.

Can't blame a guy for protecting himself. I hope it works out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT2387 View Post
    Not totally true, you said you were wearing a 1044 defender with flip down face visor in your first post, not anymore protection according to the standard of primary eye protection than a face shield. Goggles make the best protection. Several companies make a folding pair that will go in your pocket, that way you and the chief meet in the middle.
    The defender visor offers a lot more protection than the flip down visor...........
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

This guy did just fine without sight. I don't see the big to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some $20 safety glasses and a hard case works just swell.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frmboybuck View Post
    The defender visor offers a lot more protection than the flip down visor...........
    Never said it didn't but that it was still a visor and according to the standard a visor is a secondary form of protection, goggles are a primary.

Forum Member

I don't see how wanting to protect your eye in insubordination. If my department didn't provide what I thought was adequate eye protection, I would go out and get my own. (Which is what I did) And safety glasses are what I have and they work very well. No fogging up, and they offer adequate protection. I definitely recomend a hard case though. My first pair got scratched to schit because they just floated around in my pocket.
    Last edited by Chenzo; 12-12-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: didnt add any text

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    I don't see how wanting to protect your eye in insubordination. If my department didn't provide what I thought was adequate eye protection, I would go out and get my own. (Which is what I did) And safety glasses are what I have and they work very well. No fogging up, and they offer adequate protection. I definitely recomend a hard case though. My first pair got scratched to schit because they just floated around in my pocket.
    It isn't in the point of protection. Where it is in what he (Chief)wants worn, everything uniform. Easier way to look at insubordination is in a color scheme aspect he is wanting to wearing black when the dept has all FF positions in yellow.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT2387 View Post
    It isn't in the point of protection. Where it is in what he (Chief)wants worn, everything uniform. Easier way to look at insubordination is in a color scheme aspect he is wanting to wearing black when the dept has all FF positions in yellow.
    Yes and I understand that, but what I guess what I'm getting at is that if the want to protect your eyes is outweighed by the desire for everyone to be uniform, then at least in my opinion that's messed up. The goggles on top of his helmet, while everyone just has the visor I can understand. But safety glasses in the pocket I wouldn't see as insubordination. I guess I'm just used to a department that's pretty free range. we have most guys is black turnout gear, but some in tan. (We can't afford to replace everyones gear at once, thus were not uniform.) The department issues the salad bowl helmets, but there are 3 members with traditional style helmets. (Myself included) And only about half our department has leather boots, while the rest are in the old black and yellow rubber boots. It all depends on your department and chief I guess. Different strokes for different folks.

Thread Information