Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default HazMat question on awareness level test

I just got done with my written for FF1 and HM-awareness level. The hazmat scenario was: Leaking 30 gallon brown barrel. Clear liquid on the floor, the barrel appears to be labeled Hydrogen Peroxide.

Given the word "appears" in the scenario description, I said that it was unknown and used 111 (unlabeled/unknown) in the ERG. Most of my classmates used 140 or 143 hydrogen peroxide.

Did I overthink the question? This was a written part of the exam not multiple choice, so I don't know how many points it is worth.

MembersZone Subscriber

Given that at the Awareness level you really can't do a lot, your answer, would have you further away at 330 feet than your classmates, which can't be too bad. But as you indicate were they intending that the label was in fact Hydrogen Peroxide and "appears" was not tossed in to throw you off, you did not identify to the most finite detail. If you explained your answer, you might have a chance. I'd say using Guide 143 or 111 is better than going to 140 as it looks like those folks answered quickly without looking for the best possible, though the precautionary actions are very similar.

You're a FRO, don't worry about it. If it's treated as an unknown the chance of a mistake happening in the mitigation process is greatly diminished. You were right to classify it as an unknown, no matter what the answer was.
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    You're a FRO, don't worry about it. If it's treated as an unknown the chance of a mistake happening in the mitigation process is greatly diminished. You were right to classify it as an unknown, no matter what the answer was.
    Sometimes there are more than one correct answer to a question... and somnetimes rthere are no correct answers.

As Brother Snowball stated... dont worry about it. As a FRO, you will be calling the glow worms anyways....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Sometimes there are more than one correct answer to a question... and somnetimes rthere are no correct answers.

As Brother Snowball stated... dont worry about it. As a FRO, you will be calling the glow worms anyways....
    As these guys said, no worries. An unknown always errors on the side of caution.

It's awareness training, you did what you are trained to do. When you get to technician level you start splitting hairs and getting technical.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information