Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    .... Now, with that being said, we are only aloud to start our 2 cycle saws twice a week at the request of our city's mechanics. They feel that running the saws every shift is the leading cause of repairs.
    And having a tool that doesn't work on the fireground is unacceptable. Someone should tell them their request is not practical for life saving equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by fvfdstation4 View Post
    Yah! i can see their point starting them 365 times a year at minimum would be hard on the plugs i would imagine.
    That's why you buy spares and change them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    And having a tool that doesn't work on the fireground is unacceptable. Someone should tell them their request is not practical for life saving equipment.
    Yeah we have but our admin is on their bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    That's why you buy spares and change them.
    Absolutely. But a little bit of training on problem solving would go a long way too. A few shifts ago a I walked past the tailboard person on the engine who was carrying a K-12 with a red tag. When I asked them what was wrong the response was "it won't start", to which I said did you try to figure out what was wrong with it? Of course the answer was "it's not my job" to which I replied "let me take a look". After a few pulls I could see no smoke from the exhaust so I removed the plug and cleaned it off. Once replaced it fired up on the second pull.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Go over the rigs once every once week and once a month well do a real check where we check every tool take the packs out clean them check the batteries restock the trucks and more......but im new and only got a year under my belt so when ever me and some of the other young guys get board we do random truck checks light skim over make sure nothing is missing make sure the pack are full

Everything is started EVERY day.

The big problem with starting them every day is that most people just start them and let them idle. They end up fouling the plugs and all sorts of stupidity. You have to actually squeeze the throttle and RUN the saw for more than 10 seconds. Not necessarily at wide open the whole time, but get it hot.

We have some Husqvarna vent saws and rotary saws that flood easily. If you don't start them every day, you don't know if the previous shift flooded the thing, and you need to take the plug out and turn the motor a few times to sling some of that fuel out of there. You couldn't sit there and do that on a fire scene if you didn't start the saw in the morning. I've had Stihl saws whose choke lever linkage would malfunction, too, causing you to be unable to switch it out of the OFF position unless you took the cover and air filter off, and repositioned the linkage by hand, then put it all back together. Again, not on a fireground.

Thread Information