Forum Member

Default Saw and Equipment Checks

How often do you guys start up your saws and equipment at you departments? Do you guys run them up every morning, once a week?
    Last edited by Andyboyfire; 12-13-2009 at 07:50 AM.

Forum Member

In my 1st department, we used to do full equipment checks once per week - this was a volunteer dept. After equipment was used at a call it was also checked over for needed repairs, etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    In my 1st department, we used to do full equipment checks once per week - this was a volunteer dept. After equipment was used at a call it was also checked over for needed repairs, etc.
    That's how mine did it, it was a paid dept. We cleaned the entire station on Friday, and with that went equipment/battery checks on every apparatus, reserve apparatus as well. This included checking fluids in saws and starting them all. All battery operated recip. saws had there batteries charged as well. All other equipment was checked, i.e. SCBA's, radio battery (radio check was done every morning), tools, etc. Also, equipment/battery checks were done after every incident it was used at.

MembersZone Subscriber

Manned stations - the fuel level (and oil on saws) is checked every day and everythings is checked and ran weekly.

Un-manned stations - Everything is checked and ran once a week by a crew out of station1.

MembersZone Subscriber

Daily, we do a visual inspection and fuel check and a brief cleaning.
    Weekly, run it up and do a full check and detailed cleaning.
    After each use it gets a detailed inspection and repaired as necessary.

Forum Member

Every shift at 1330 to 1400 unless deployed, then soonest available.

Forum Member

I run my saw, fan and generator every morning on my paid department, for a few reasons:

1. Even running daily, the equipment can be stubborn to start in the cold months. I couldnt imagine only cranking everything once a week.

2. If it were to be needed at a call, and it it didnt work, the first question asked would be, "Well, did it start this morning?" I dont want to have to say I dont know.

To each thier own though.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I run my saw, fan and generator every morning on my paid department, for a few reasons:

1. Even running daily, the equipment can be stubborn to start in the cold months. I couldnt imagine only cranking everything once a week.

2. If it were to be needed at a call, and it it didnt work, the first question asked would be, "Well, did it start this morning?" I dont want to have to say I dont know.

To each thier own though.
    That is why I asked, I was amazed to find out how many departments do not start they equipment each day, most major cities start them once if not twice daily at the change of tours.

Forum Member

Gas equipment started everyday here. Trucks are checked bumper to bumper every morning after line up. If can be started, it is started. If can be turned on, it is turned on. Not only is it a good habit. It is also a CYA thing. I dont want to have to answer the question did it start this morning with I dont know cap i didn't try it.

Forum Member

Default I agree with RFD21C

While the dept. only requires the exhaustive check pre week, I run everything in, on, or around the engine at the start of my 48. Who knows what has happened to the equipment during the last shift or 2?? Better off well prepared and 100% sure of your equipment than hoping it still runs. I guess I need to check though, I may be the only one or one of few who does this here...

Forum Member

Saws, generators, gas meters, TIC, Hurst tool generator and all SCBA's checked and operated and all hooks and halligans are checked for cleanliness and rust and cleaned and oiled accordingly at the start of each tour ( 9 am & 6 pm).

Even if you are in the middle of a 24 and you know for certain that the equipment was fine at the start of it - at the change of tours it all gets checked again.

Not saying its the right or wrong way, it is just the way its done where I am.

Forum Member

Every day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    Every day.
    +1...gotta know for yourself that your tools will be able to perform.

Forum Member

I'm on the everyday bandwagon. I don't like the idea of not checking the equipment after another shift has been on duty. for those working 10s and 14s

Forum Member

It literally takes ten minutes to run a fan, saw and generator. I dont see how there could be any serious opposition to not starting equipment daily.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

We check/start up both of our K-12s, Vent-Master chainsaw, smoke fans, extrication tools (spreader,cutter, both rams) and let them run for about 5 mins. We also check that we have water in both of our PW cans, make sure the emergency lights work, our fuel is full, we also have an ALS inventory check sheet every morning, and we also fill up our on board water jug with water and ice every morning. I also like to make sure my tools are at my seat for example if I am the "irons" posistion I make sure my portable is charged and ready to go in my radio strap, my irons are on the floor by my seat, and my rabbit tool is working properly. All of this gets doen every single shift.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

Every day, when i work at my career FD. Its stupid not to it takes 10 minutes if that to start and check the tools.

Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

Quote Originally Posted by fvfdstation4 View Post
    Every day, when i work at my career FD. Its stupid not to it takes 10 minutes if that to start and check the tools.
    Yupp something as simple at 10-15 mins could end up saving someones life. It needs to get done.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

I'm for checking ALL of your equipment EVERY shift. You never know when the equipment gnome will strike! I'm sure we can all recall an instance at the end of a shift when the on coming crew can't get something to start, even though we ran it with no problem. Now, with that being said, we are only aloud to start our 2 cycle saws twice a week at the request of our city's mechanics. They feel that running the saws every shift is the leading cause of repairs.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    I'm for checking ALL of your equipment EVERY shift. You never know when the equipment gnome will strike! I'm sure we can all recall an instance at the end of a shift when the on coming crew can't get something to start, even though we ran it with no problem. Now, with that being said, we are only aloud to start our 2 cycle saws twice a week at the request of our city's mechanics. They feel that running the saws every shift is the leading cause of repairs.
    Yah! i can see their point starting them 365 times a year at minimum would be hard on the plugs i would imagine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    .... Now, with that being said, we are only aloud to start our 2 cycle saws twice a week at the request of our city's mechanics. They feel that running the saws every shift is the leading cause of repairs.
    And having a tool that doesn't work on the fireground is unacceptable. Someone should tell them their request is not practical for life saving equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by fvfdstation4 View Post
    Yah! i can see their point starting them 365 times a year at minimum would be hard on the plugs i would imagine.
    That's why you buy spares and change them.

Forum Member

And having a tool that doesn't work on the fireground is unacceptable. Someone should tell them their request is not practical for life saving equipment.
    Yeah we have but our admin is on their bandwagon

That's why you buy spares and change them.
    Absolutely. But a little bit of training on problem solving would go a long way too. A few shifts ago a I walked past the tailboard person on the engine who was carrying a K-12 with a red tag. When I asked them what was wrong the response was "it won't start", to which I said did you try to figure out what was wrong with it? Of course the answer was "it's not my job" to which I replied "let me take a look". After a few pulls I could see no smoke from the exhaust so I removed the plug and cleaned it off. Once replaced it fired up on the second pull.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Go over the rigs once every once week and once a month well do a real check where we check every tool take the packs out clean them check the batteries restock the trucks and more......but im new and only got a year under my belt so when ever me and some of the other young guys get board we do random truck checks light skim over make sure nothing is missing make sure the pack are full

Forum Member

Everything is started EVERY day.

The big problem with starting them every day is that most people just start them and let them idle. They end up fouling the plugs and all sorts of stupidity. You have to actually squeeze the throttle and RUN the saw for more than 10 seconds. Not necessarily at wide open the whole time, but get it hot.

We have some Husqvarna vent saws and rotary saws that flood easily. If you don't start them every day, you don't know if the previous shift flooded the thing, and you need to take the plug out and turn the motor a few times to sling some of that fuel out of there. You couldn't sit there and do that on a fire scene if you didn't start the saw in the morning. I've had Stihl saws whose choke lever linkage would malfunction, too, causing you to be unable to switch it out of the OFF position unless you took the cover and air filter off, and repositioned the linkage by hand, then put it all back together. Again, not on a fireground.

Thread Information