Forum Member

Default Moustache history and policy

Hello to all out there Brothers and Sisters.I would like some imput from the outside on moustache policy in ur dept , and maybe if anyone would happen to know any good history sites or have some good history that i could use.I know alot of the history , but would like some more to reference.Our policy is the corner of the mouth, which up until my last shift had not really been enforced , so needless to say i played taps and shaved it back to the regs under protest.Im looking for feedback good or bad from anyone out there so ill say in advance thank you either way

thanks in advance and stay safe ,

Mike Reiterman

Forum Member

OSHA 1910.134 states that facial hair cannot touch anywhere the seal on a face piece hits - you cannot even fit test with hair that touches the seal.....basically it is against the standard to fit test with any facial hair that may interfere with the seal on a face piece.

As for individual departments, I've never had a problem lol...but my husbands' department had a rule no facial hair below the bottom lip.....until people tried to get away with the 'mutton chops' - then they had to adjust that to conform to OSHA requirements or not wear a face mask.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Facial Hair directive (summary)

Sideburns shall not interfere with placement/usage of SCBA. Sideburns will not contact sealing surface of SCBA. Sideburns will be uniform top to bottom and neatly trimmed, not excessively heavy or bushy, and not come below earlobe.

Facial hair below lip (soul patch) is prmitted, but cannot exceed 1/2" in length, width, depth. Must not contact SCBA sealing surface.

Mustache must not be of such thickness that it impairs air passages of nose. Will be neatly trimmed, and not extend below top of the upper lip. They may extend no more than 1/2" beyond a vertical straight line drawn from the corners of the mouth. May extend 1/2" downward beyond corners of mouth. May not contact sealing surface of SCBA, anything beyond dimensions stated here present risk of that.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Facial Hair directive (summary)

Sideburns shall not interfere with placement/usage of SCBA. Sideburns will not contact sealing surface of SCBA. Sideburns will be uniform top to bottom and neatly trimmed, not excessively heavy or bushy, and not come below earlobe.

Facial hair below lip (soul patch) is prmitted, but cannot exceed 1/2" in length, width, depth. Must not contact SCBA sealing surface.

Mustache must not be of such thickness that it impairs air passages of nose. Will be neatly trimmed, and not extend below top of the upper lip. They may extend no more than 1/2" beyond a vertical straight line drawn from the corners of the mouth. May extend 1/2" downward beyond corners of mouth. May not contact sealing surface of SCBA, anything beyond dimensions stated here present risk of that.
    Ruh Roh... I guess this well known and respected fire service leader would be in violation....

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Ruh Roh... I guess this well known and respected fire service leader would be in violation....

Come on chief you know rules are only for the common firefighters and not those wearing white hats.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can't have beards, goatees, etc. Can't interfere with the fit or use of SCBA mask or any PPE. Sideburns can NOT connect to any other facial hair (i.e. mutton chops).

MembersZone Subscriber

Right now, no hair beyond 1/4" lower than the corners of the mouth.

There is discussion to allow any facial hair that will pass our current fit testing. I think it's qualitative that we're doing; whichever one that you mask up and are connected to a machine that measures the pressure in the mask.

Forum Member

Not sure about the exact rules, but from my understandings we cant have any facial hair, even though several officers do.
    Courage is being scared but saddling up anyway

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    Come on chief you know rules are only for the common firefighters and not those wearing white hats.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Doesn't matter what the policy is. If you want the job, you obey the policy. If you don't want to obey the policy, there probably is someone else willing to take your job and obey the policy gladly.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

That is the coolest poster ever! I am shooting for the Flying V....I worked with a guy who had that....it fit his personality perfectly....!
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Default typical response

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Doesn't matter what the policy is. If you want the job, you obey the policy. If you don't want to obey the policy, there probably is someone else willing to take your job and obey the policy gladly.
    Well George its not a matter of wanting the job , its a matter of keeping the brotherhood and traditions of the firehouse alive.Your take it or leave approach seems to be the new trend in the fire service , sav e your probie speech for the probie which i am not .I have conformed to the policy, but i am looking to make it better.But thanks for your input anyhow , ill keep that in mind .thanks mike i think!!!

Forum Member

Default Thanks for the input

Hey , thanks to all who have weighed in to my post its much appreciated .

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by piper1723 View Post
    Well George its not a matter of wanting the job , its a matter of keeping the brotherhood and traditions of the firehouse alive.Your take it or leave approach seems to be the new trend in the fire service , sav e your probie speech for the probie which i am not .I have conformed to the policy, but i am looking to make it better.But thanks for your input anyhow , ill keep that in mind .thanks mike i think!!!
    Never said you were a probie. But, as a veteran, your post seemed to indicate that you believed the policy should not be enforced. If that is the case, that is a bad attitude.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Default i agree

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Never said you were a probie. But, as a veteran, your post seemed to indicate that you believed the policy should not be enforced. If that is the case, that is a bad attitude.
    George i agree brother, but its one of those things to try nd sum it up, that its been there for years , and some of us were borderline , now i accept responsibility and took my medicine, but what really set it in motion were some members had the sole patch , thats what i think set them off.Anyhow i appreciate our comments , but the question remains is it a safety reason ,or is it personal spite , and in the end if the man makes the decision then we live with it , and ill be good .

Forum Member

I thought the take it or leave it approach has always been a large part of the fire service, at least its nothing new to me.

We have the same problem with "soul patches" in our dept. It is a matter of personal preference but ultimately our policy clearly states there should be no hair below the lower lip.

Plus I dont see any of the manly men in that poster or in these comps wearing the "soul"

www.worldbeardchampionships.com
    Last edited by LeatherHed4Life; 12-14-2009 at 01:41 AM.

Forum Member

Something is very odd, no offical comment from the scarycrow or the lafire educator!!!

Whats wrong you don't have an answer for this?

I wear mine, something like Chief Billy!!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

LA and Scarecrow would have to have reached Puberty to have Facial hair .

Thread Information