Thread: Work uniform ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Work uniform ?

What is your standard work uniform ? We are transitioning from a more formal style: standard uniform shirt with badge, pins, patches......to a BDU style: 5 11 tactical pants and embroidered polo's.

Just wondering what everyone else is wearing ?

MembersZone Subscriber

traditional station pants with dept T-shirt. For EMS or pub ed. red polo or job shirt depending on weather.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have several options. Dept. approves uniforms, individual makers/models, union approves vendors.

Pants - Navy blue,
    A regular uniform type trouser, kinda like Dickies or your typical janitor/mechanic/etc.
    OR
    EMS pants - basically same as above with addition of cargo pockets.

Shirt - Navy blue all ranks, Chief & above has option of white. Everyone wears a uniform dept. T-shirt, screened with rank & company on left chest, Department logo on back.
    Also either long or short sleeve button down uniform shirt with epaulets, dept. patch on left sleeve, embroidered tape with name over one chest pocket, company over other chest pocket. sewn on insignia for officers and medics, I think badge optional for officers, required for medics, no badge/isignia for regular FF/EMTs.
    OR
    Job shirt (sweatshirt) with denim collar/elbows, identifiers as above.

In summer (May 1 to Sept. 30), allowed to wear uniform cargo shorts (basically the EMS pant cut short) with option of a polo/golf type shirt with epaulets and identifiers as on regular shirt. Polo shirt must be worn with shorts, cannot wear with trousers.

Days over 90* F, permitted to wear just the uniform t-shirt.

Shoes - (Only black socks permitted)
    Option of oxford style or duty boot, cannot be too "sneakerized", i.e., must be able to take a polish and actually look like a shoe/boot. Only oxfords with ankle socks permitted with shorts, but dept allows a slip-on oxford/loafer type, very comfy.

Hat - Custom department baseball cap, or an approved skull cap for winter.

Outerwear - Work jackets with flip-down hi-vis panels issued each member. Epaulets get insgnia. Also have an optional cardigan sweater can be worn over the button-down shirt.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

T-shirt - Black with city name and FIRE on back & cross on front breast
    Pants - Black work pants (Red Cap) or BDU/EMS trousers are authorized
    Shirt - Light blue with dept patches & badge. Must be worn before 1630. All admin and chiefs and above wear white shirts.
    Shorts - Black with cross on left leg. Authorized only for PT or station wear after 2100
    Shoes - Black boots or shoes. If visible, socks must be black also
    Jacket - Black pullover or job shirt, jacket
    Hat - Beanie or baseball cap with cross, dept name or Apparatus info (ENGINE 12)

Pretty lenient policy, just as long as someone doesn't push it with something too outrageous.

Forum Member

Pants- Navy EMS, FD PT shorts or FD sweat pants for pt and can be worn after 2000 hours
    Shirts- grey polos for FF white polos for officers (only worn at officers discretion) grey or navy FD t-shirt,
    Shoes- black work boots, tenneis shoes for pt and can be wore after 2000 hours
    Jacket- FD sweatshirt, EMS jacket
    Hat- FD baseball hat

Forum Member

quote=efd152643][/quote]
    Last edited by qwerty11; 02-17-2010 at 08:53 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We're volunteer, so we show up in whatever we're wearing at the time...which has been everything from PJ's, Shorts, Flip flops to slacks and tie, whatever. Our on duty EMT's are supposed to wear navy blue or black slacks and a fire department issued t-shirt or polo shirt. But only if they're on a paid shift. Then it goes back to whatever you happen to have on at the time.
    FF-II/EMT-B/Incident Safety Officer/Photographer
    Lancaster Fire Department
    First run area (Fire): Lancaster, NH & Guildhall, VT (84.3 Sq Miles)
    First run area (Ambulance): Lancaster & Jefferson, NH; Gilman, Guildhall & Lunenberg, VT (185.1 Sq Miles)

Forum Member

We wear Navy Blue pants. Dickies are issued (Or Dickies clones). And we can wear a Navy blue t-shirt with or without our department on it. OR, we can wear the standard, button down uniform shirt. This time of year with the cold, i just wear a tshirt with the pullover sweatshirt.

I bought my own 511 station pants. Best $40.00 i ever spent on pants. The waist has elastic to allow some give when you eat too much, there is also a rubber trim material that grips your shirt so it wont pull out. And more pockets then i know what to do with. Aside from the standard hip pockets, rear pockets and side cargo pcokets, there are literally a dozen other pockets. You have pockets inside of pockets!. Some have velcro, some have zippers, some have velcro inside them halfway down so you can use it as a deep or shallow pocket. While i certainly don't use them all, they take up no room and are not noticeable to anyone, so it's nice to know they are there if a need them. But best of all, the knee pads. They come with these thick foam rubber kneepads that fit in pouches on the inside of the legs. They are fantastic. And when i wear my bunkers with padded knees over these pants with the knee pads, crawling is completley painless. You could crawl on gravel and feel no pain.

Forum Member

straight leg navy blue pants, button down badge shirt (light blue for firefighters, white for officers), WHITE tshirt under the badge shirt. black socks and black boots.

short sleeves from april to oct
    long sleeves from nov to march

24/7

that is offically the answer, unoffically you cant see what i have on under my turn out gear. so at night it might just be gym shorts and my badge shirt

Forum Member

Navy Nomex shirt and pants, NFPA compliant wear. Chief's choice in 2004. It is expensive but wears well. Being dark we were worried it would be as hot as the black crap prior to 2004 (soon as you got out of the truck in the summer you were trying to find shade). It is cool and seems to wick sweat away from you in the summer. The brand we are using is topps apparel

MembersZone Subscriber

Speedo Bikini with the option of the Borat man thong.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

in jasper we were navy polyester pants with the red stripe and generally blue duty tee, for any talks , going out to eat or other functions we have button down gray for firefighters and white for officers wearing a tie with the long sleeve in the winter but we do have gray polos ordered and they should be here in the next few weeks

MembersZone Subscriber

We have two options. The first is our button-up uniform shirts, where captain's and above where white and firefighters navy blue. The second is a polo, with firefighters having navy blue, chief officers white, and captains gray. There was a lot of debate on the captains' polos, as they used to be white and we were replacing them after every fire. The gray seems to be holding up better.

The rest of the uniform is pretty standard; navy blue pants, black belt, black boots/shoes. There has been some discussion to going to BDU or EMS-style pants, but nothing has come of it.

Forum Member

We have had optional shorts passed about two years ago. I have been in them since. Literally, I believe that I have worn our normal long pants twice last year. Once for training at TEEX, and the other was when it was 28 degrees outside (wore pants for an hour and a half).

I am pretty sure we have button down dress shirts, with patches and badges. I haven't seen mine in a few months. Keep seeing our administration officers wearing them, and it reminds me that I was issued 5 of them at one point, I am sure they are in my locker.

Each station is able to make their own shirts, Chief has to approve the design.

We have about 3 or 4 different hat we can wear, ball caps and beanies.

We also have the job shirts from 5.11 tactical (sweatshirts with canvas collars). They are the nicest job shirts I have ever seen. I wash mine in hot water after each shift and it had barely faded.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonboyc6 View Post
    in jasper we were navy polyester pants with the red stripe and generally blue duty tee, for any talks , going out to eat or other functions we have button down gray for firefighters and white for officers wearing a tie with the long sleeve in the winter but we do have gray polos ordered and they should be here in the next few weeks
    Polyester? You haven't heard about how polyester can get hot and melt sticking to you skin, huh? Might even flare up too.

You guys wear bus drivers pants!

Cotton is the best for uniform work pants and shirts.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Polyester? You haven't heard about how polyester can get hot and melt sticking to you skin, huh? Might even flare up too.

You guys wear bus drivers pants!

Cotton is the best for uniform work pants and shirts.
    Polyester = Shrinkwrap

I responded to a call once while off-duty; Big Grass Fire. I had just come from church so I was wearing a 50/50 polyester/cotton suit. I took my jacket off and began to help one of the guys with a handline. The pants became about 2 sizes smaller in the first 4 minutes, and pretty much trashed.

I didn't have my gear with me on that one. I carried at least a nomex jumpsuit after that. Today my gear goes where I go; at work it's in my office, off work; in my SUV (or in the house when it's -5).

Many, many years ago, a firefighter on our crew didn't wear his helmet or coat during the initial fire attack on a mobile home. He was wearing a 50/50 sweat shirt and a ballcap. He pulled polyester and cotten fibers out of his scalp for several weeks after that and has a bald spot where the polyester cap sucked down on his scalp. The rest of him faired a little better... he pulled the sweat shirt off when he felt it get hot. He tried to have a hair transplant a few years back since his head does look a little strange... not your typical male pattern baldness. The doctor told him there was nothing he could do... the scars were too bad. So, what are ya going to do?

Not pickin' on you jonboy... Just watch your butt,

legs, ankels, etc...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

MembersZone Subscriber

We have more types of uniforms then you can shake a stick at so here we go.
    Pants-Elbecco navy blue for shift personnel and black for staff.
    Shorts- between Memorial Day and Labor Day 8" in seem length Elbecco. Not to worn on PR.

Shirts-Long sleve polo, short sleve polo with embroidered badge, name and rank. T-shirts long and short sleve cotton or drylock with screen print department name on back and badge on front and rank for officers, Sweat shirts embroidered badge, name and rank. Job shirt denim collor or cotton collar with embroider badge,name rank. Class A-shirt with all the decorations you need. Badge, name tags, years of service star, rank for officers of fd on the collar. All none class a shirts are blue for shift personnel white for staff. Shift officers had gold thread and privates have silver thread.

socks are black except with shorts can wear white.

Coat Carhart blue button up with department name on back and employee name optional on front.

Hat has rfd on them base ball type

Belt black

black shoes no markings of any style boots, tennis, or dress.

We also have Dress blues we are required to purchase with in 1 year from date of hire.

any given day no two people will look alike.

The cost of the polos are about 40 dollars apiece t-shirts are 18 dollars apiece and the job shirts are 58 dollars apiece. All union made and union printed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is our Uniform SOG Class A thru E

http://www.franklincountyva.gov/publ...ine19-1-090408

Aside from TOG there is no real mention of inclement weather gear, but we do have various Vi-Viz rain coats (some of the newest are the 5.11 brand with the insulated liner) and most recently we were permitted to add a Navy Charles River Apparrell coat (similar to the Carhart Barn Jacket) with the agency logo on the left chest & member name on the right. These jackets were purchased out of pocket but we got a very good price from a local vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Speedo Bikini with the option of the Borat man thong.

Your two Dept's should get together - that would make one helluva uniform combo.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

While in the station we wear our department t-shirt. Anytime we go out of the station other than a response we are required to wear our button up uniform shirt with our badge and collar brass. Dark navy pants and black boots.

Our uniforms are inspected once a year by the captian in charge of uniforms for wear and tear. He will tell you if you need new uniforms. If we need uniforms they are ordered and taken out of our uniform money. If they pass we can use our uniform money for personal tools.
    Last edited by rm1524; 02-01-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Forum Member

Pants = Traditional uniform pants, USAR and HazMat are allowed to wear BDU's.

Shirts = Dept. issued navy t-shirts/ sweatshirts. You can also wear job shirts, but you must purchase them.

Shorts = Can be worn any time of the year, dept. issued.

Preplanning, Education Events = pants and badge shirt, no shorts. Officer's discretion though, they can opt for our polo shirts.

Shoes = Steel toed boots or steel toed sneakers. These are issued too, one pair a year. You may buy your own, just have to be steel toed.

We're also issued shorts for P.T. and sleeping, and sweatpants (tights). Officer's discretion for P.T. gear, but as long as you're P.T.'ing, if you're wearing blue Nike shorts they could care less. Still a few old heads around that harp on the uniform, which in my opinion is them just trying to compensate for their shortcomings elsewhere (fire-ground).

I'm lucky; my Boss' attitude is that our uniform doesn't/hasn't affect(ed) our performance on fires and medicals, so who cares as long as we know our job and do it well. Plus, I've never heard a person say "you guys aren't wearing the same uniform, don't put my house out".

For me, if it's above freezing in the morning, I wear shorts. Boss could be wearing polo and pants, and the other members could be wearing t-shirts and pants. No big deal...
    Last edited by RFDGloWorm; 02-19-2010 at 02:16 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
    , Still a few old heads around that harp on the uniform, which in my opinion is them just trying to compensate for their shortcomings elsewhere (fire-ground).
    couldn't agree more, and no one on a scene has ever told me i'm not dressed pretty enough to handle their emergency

that being said our policy is:

black shoes or boots (nothing specifically about black socks)

blue uniform pants, no cargo/bdu/ems/5.11 style pants allowed

blue department tshirt

blue button down, with department patch on one side, paramedic or EMT patch on the other, sewn on name strip, badge and bugles for captains down, BC's and above have shiny metal nameplate/badge/bugles so everyone is reminded of how important they are

job shirt (the sweatshirt collar type, not the denim type) with sewn on namestrip on the chest, department patch and medic or EMT patch on the sleeves... and yes your uniform shirt is required under it at all times

uniform jacket (flourescent yellow)

department baseball hat

department watch cap (although they're pretty lenient on this one, maybe because they haven't bought any in 5+ years, as long as its plain black or navy or at least nothing bigger then an Under Armor label no one says anything)

that's 24/7

UNLESS
    you have on your turnout gear, the button down shirt isn't required

UNLESS
    you're on the ambulance, then it still is

UNLESS
    your're working out or sleeping, then bunker pants and a tshirt are ok

UNLESS
    you're on the ambulance and working out or sleeping then you have to change out of your workout or sleep attire into your uniform pants and shirt

our chief and one BC are so worried about uniforms (insecure about something) that they didn't want to swith the little emblem on the front of our tshirts to match our new department patch or even change the size of the letters on the back of our tshirt because then we'd have "people running around with all different kinds of tshirts." i didn't know 2 varieties were "all different kinds." and yes thats the tshirt that we have to wear another shirt over top of 90% of the time.

now they're talking layoffs being possible, did i mention they pay $60+ for each uniform shirt by the time they ad the patches/badges/names/bugles

MembersZone Subscriber

Class C uniform (everyday use) in operations:

Blue BDU pants, Polo Shirt (grey) , station boots, station workbelt.

For drills allowed to wear Dept. t-shirt.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post

Really??????

Forum Member

We don't require specific clothes yet. BUT we have been working on getting shirts and insignia items for the members. We used to have a proper dress uniform but they haven't purchased any of them in the 16 years I've been in.

We did have a young lady in the department a few years ago who showed up for a call in her turnout gear with a bikini under it! She had been getting some sun when the tones went for a structure fire. She tossed on her gear and showed up. Didn't find out what she had under it until she decided to jump into the porta-pond because it was a hot day...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Really??????
    Yup, it allows us to seperate the men from the, um...not men.

Thread Information