Default FDNY hiring active Marine Reservists?

Hi, I'm an active duty Marine Officer. My end of service date mid 2012, and I was planning on taking the exam in 2011. Has anyone heard of recruits going through the academy as military reservists? Someone told me you can't be a reservist while you're at the academy, but you are allowed to be a reservist after you completed the academy. Now...that sounds pretty fishy because it just smells of "big ole lawsuit". The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Act should cover that....any ideas?

Carrie

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA, 38 U.S.C. §§ 4301 – 4335) is a federal law intended to ensure that persons who serve or have served in the Armed Forces, Reserves, National Guard or other “uniformed services:” (1) are not disadvantaged in their civilian careers because of their service; (2) are promptly reemployed in their civilian jobs upon their return from duty; and (3) are not discriminated against in employment based on past, present, or future military service. The federal government is to be a “model employer” under USERRA. See 38 U.S.C. § 4301.

MembersZone Subscriber

I do not have any first hand knowledge of this, but, other people I've known in similar situations talked to they're CO and got it setup that they can do drill time in advance so that while in the academy they would be free and clear. Takes some pre-planning but I'm sure it could be done. I would also call FDNY HQ and see if you can get some clarification on that as well. Good luck.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Reservist in the FD academy

Who ever told you that has NO CLUE what they are talking about......

Myself and others were and still are reservists during and after a training academy.

IF and the word is IF you get deployed during the academy, the department has to reinstate you, give what ever job class you had back to you (i.e., firefighter/police recruit) basically, they cant hand you a mop and bucket and say "have a nice life".

Also, they are obligated to finish your training, either you will pick up with another class, or they will make special "arrangements", meaning they will give an accelerated training over 12 hour days in 4 weeks and/or they will pick up where you left off in the training cycle---just an example, every department is different.

However, for a few weeks or maybe a month or so until a class picks up or until they can fit you in to a class or they can find an alternate way, you might have to answer phones and do admin. type work at HQ or at the academy or maybe you will be delivering supplies to fire stations---again, just an example.

Anyway, don't let this bother you, also, the VA will PAY you a stipend to attened an academy, the academy will have a VA rep. on hand but for now, that's another topic.

In these times we live in I have have known plenty of people that have been deployed during an academy....you will be fine. Also, let the academy staff know you plan to be or are a reservist, they can plan ahead just in case...

Good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by semperfivmi07 View Post
    Hi, I'm an active duty Marine Officer. My end of service date mid 2012, and I was planning on taking the exam in 2011. Has anyone heard of recruits going through the academy as military reservists? Someone told me you can't be a reservist while you're at the academy, but you are allowed to be a reservist after you completed the academy. Now...that sounds pretty fishy because it just smells of "big ole lawsuit". The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Act should cover that....any ideas?

Carrie

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA, 38 U.S.C. §§ 4301 – 4335) is a federal law intended to ensure that persons who serve or have served in the Armed Forces, Reserves, National Guard or other “uniformed services:” (1) are not disadvantaged in their civilian careers because of their service; (2) are promptly reemployed in their civilian jobs upon their return from duty; and (3) are not discriminated against in employment based on past, present, or future military service. The federal government is to be a “model employer” under USERRA. See 38 U.S.C. § 4301.

You are an Officer in the USMC? Why are you getting out? Why not do your 20 and get the retirement and benifits?

Something isn't right here. The USMC spent big bucks educating, training you and you want to leave.

Have you applied for the test for the FDNY? Do you acutally know that you will sit for the exam, if they give one then??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

CaptOldTimer, my personal choice is my business, and my reasons do not need to be displayed on a public forum. I'm serving my country during a time of war and I do not owe the military anything past my 4 year contract. I have not 100% planned on getting out after my 4 year tour is up. I am simply observing my options....there is nothing wrong with that. I love my job, but there are other things I want to do in my life. I obviously don't want to completely leave the military or I wouldn't be asking about being a reservist. You can bake your cake and eat it too.

FYI, just because you CAN retire at 20 doesn't mean that will happen. There are several good officers that don't make selection for Major/Lt Col/Col and get forced out of the Corps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You are an Officer in the USMC? Why are you getting out? Why not do your 20 and get the retirement and benifits?

Something isn't right here. The USMC spent big bucks educating, training you and you want to leave.

Have you applied for the test for the FDNY? Do you acutally know that you will sit for the exam, if they give one then??
    Guess what, the majority of Marine Officers do leave active duty after their initial active tour is up. In fact most of the guys that reach 20 years do it over a period of broken service, on thing the officers have over the enlisted is the ease of transition in and out of active duty. Enlisted guys get rank pulled or added depending on need, they need to stay active in the ARR or IRR, while I know officers who have left for 10 years and be given the chance to come back on duty with two weeks notice. I expect our Devil Dog here to be a relatively young guy, mid-twenties, with a who life of choices before him. IF he can create the opportunity to join FDNY while serving in the reserves for another 20-30 years, more freaking power to him! OuuRahh and Good Luck!!!!!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information