Forum Member

Default Concealed Weapons Permit

I'm currently in the beginning of the application process for several departments in Florida, and at the same time I am looking into getting my concealed weapons permit. Do you think there is any reason to believe that having this permit will affect my ability to pass a background investigation and get hired by a department in Florida?

I respect all personal views about having a concealed carry permit, but I would appreciate if responses could be geared only towards how this may affect one's career as a firefighter/paramedic.

Thanks so much!

Sam

Forum Member

I don't think it will hurt.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

I would almost think having passed the background check for a concealed carry permit might help - gives an indication that you don't have anything to hide.....I myself have had background checks run MULTIPLE times for jobs - from PD to Gov't.....so I know I don't have anything that will 'pop up' that I wasn't aware of!

Forum Member

Sambo23, You pose an interesting question. Off base or not here's how I feel. I feel it should not (note not that it wont) hurt you. If it does hurt you, that not be a fire department that you want to work for. If a fire department has a problem with you bearing arms (a God given, constitutional right) then I'd be leery of how the department's leader ship feels about our other rights and freedoms. But that is just my two cents worth.
    ~ Doc

- Happy Public Servant working in the Public Safety Field since 1998

“Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils.” ~ General John Stark

Permanently Removed

I wouldnt think it would be a problem

BUT just dont goof off and get clipped, then you are done.

Forum Member

Having one, i have had no problem at all. I agree with Paso, applying for that permit requires extensive backround check.

Forum Member

Thanks all! Excellent points by Paso and Doc, and no I won't be goofing around with that stuff. Never been arrested before, don't plan to start now!

All the best!!

Forum Member

I have a drivers license and that didn't effect me getting a job that required a background check. I don't see how a CCW would be any different.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo23 View Post
    I'm currently in the beginning of the application process for several departments in Florida, and at the same time I am looking into getting my concealed weapons permit. Do you think there is any reason to believe that having this permit will affect my ability to pass a background investigation and get hired by a department in Florida?

I respect all personal views about having a concealed carry permit, but I would appreciate if responses could be geared only towards how this may affect one's career as a firefighter/paramedic.

Thanks so much!

Sam

If it is known, someone along the way of interviews may ask you why WHY YOU HAVE IT and WHY YOU NEED IT??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Sambo,

I am a firefighter in MI, and also a firearms instructor. I have had a CPL** (Concealed Pistol License) since MI became a shall issue state.

This answer should be taken with a grain of salt since it is coming from another State.

The background investigation that the County Gun Board will conduct will not be all that different from what any fire department would do. Therefore, a CPL is at least an indicator that your record is clean.

A CPL should not help or hurt your chances at getting in at any department. I imagine that every department in FL must have at least 1 FF with a CPL.

What can hurt you is carrying your pistol in areas where you shouldn't be carrying, your attitude when people ask you questions about your CPL (Why do you have one?), and any firearm related offenses.

In short, it's not your CPL that can get you in trouble, but your conduct. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulder and self awareness. I think you'll be just fine.

Cheers,

Tommy

** MI is getting away from CCW because Concealed Carry Weapon is an acronym now being used to describe illegal weapons carrying activity. CWP is not being used because the license does not permit you to carry a "Weapon", but more specifically, a "Pistol". Eventually you'll probably see every state move to calling it a CPL, many are doing so already.

Forum Member

Thanks, Crook. To clarify, I am a rifle and shotgun owner, and have for a couple of years been considering the purchase and carry of a pistol. However, the CCW as it now stands will cover me for anything I decide to do, and will also set my mind at ease about the 4-inch folding knife I carry now (not that I'm super worried anyway); Florida has an ambiguous knife law, allowing for the carry of a "common pocketknife" but with no regulations on blade size.

I'm also definitely aware of where I can and cannot carry any sort of weapon, so no government buildings, schools, etc. for me! Thanks again!

Forum Member

Years ago when I lived with my Dad, I considered getting a carry permit - Dad has one, and it would have been 'just in case' something happened to him - I could legally handle/transport his weapon(s).......

Forum Member

I guess one would have to ask why you want to carry a concealed weapon?

Forum Member

And any citizen with a brain should answer, "why wouldnt you want to"?
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

And any background investigator with a brain would want to ask why you wanted one......

Forum Member

If someone feels the need to ask, then you can simply tell the background investigator why. Its a hobby. Its protection. Its fun. Its allowed.

Is any of that problematic? It shouldn't be.

Forum Member

Nm,
    You are incorrect. A background investigator will ask WHY. If you had been through a comprehensive background (or evaluated entry level candidate's backgrounds) then I would count your post as having value.

As it stands, your post is simply your opinion. It is not based on fact.

I will say the same thing I said in relation to your post regarding DUI's.

Be aware of free advice......

Forum Member

I can assure that the level of background checks that I have gone through personally for my employer far exceeds anything you're thinking of. But thanks.

But anyway, you aren't making any sense. You say the BI might ask why he has a CCW. I acknowleged this and suggested that as with anything else, he tell the truth and answer the question. There is no bad answer so long as you aren't using in the commission of crimes.

What is your problem?

Forum Member

Any citizen of Florida that owns any type of firearm should have a concealed license. There are some laws that are not very well written abot transporting a firearm through school zones and parking lots.

Florida concealed license holders are not public record. This was recently addressed as anti gun lobbyistst wanted the list published. The only time this will come up is on a background investigation packet that asks if you've ever been finger printed and what was the reason.

I strongly suggest everyone buy a copy of John Gutmacher's book Florida Firearms Laws. Google it.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

CT isn't much better. The CCW appeals list is backed up to 2011 because the appeals committee intentionally stalls the process. Apparently the committee made up of mostly state troopers feels that only state troopers should have guns. The state is being sued five ways to wednesday over their CCW practices.

Forum Member

Florida is great about concealed carry and self protection laws. As long as you meet the requirements (background check) you are issued a license. Through the entire history of the licensing program there have been only a handful of incidents involving licensees breaking the law and losing their license. This is a bad state for criminals.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    And any background investigator with a brain would want to ask why you wanted one......
    I carry one because a cop is too heavy.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crookshank View Post
    Sambo,

I am a firefighter in MI, and also a firearms instructor. I have had a CPL** (Concealed Pistol License) since MI became a shall issue state.

This answer should be taken with a grain of salt since it is coming from another State.

The background investigation that the County Gun Board will conduct will not be all that different from what any fire department would do. Therefore, a CPL is at least an indicator that your record is clean.

A CPL should not help or hurt your chances at getting in at any department. I imagine that every department in FL must have at least 1 FF with a CPL.

What can hurt you is carrying your pistol in areas where you shouldn't be carrying, your attitude when people ask you questions about your CPL (Why do you have one?), and any firearm related offenses.

In short, it's not your CPL that can get you in trouble, but your conduct. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulder and self awareness. I think you'll be just fine.

Cheers,

Tommy

** MI is getting away from CCW because Concealed Carry Weapon is an acronym now being used to describe illegal weapons carrying activity. CWP is not being used because the license does not permit you to carry a "Weapon", but more specifically, a "Pistol". Eventually you'll probably see every state move to calling it a CPL, many are doing so already.

Florida will not goto a CPL because it IS a weapons license. If it were a CPL you would be limited to ONLY carrying a pistol. Also the county does not have anything to do with issuing your license, it is handled entirely thru the state.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac73 View Post
    Florida will not goto a CPL because it IS a weapons license. If it were a CPL you would be limited to ONLY carrying a pistol. Also the county does not have anything to do with issuing your license, it is handled entirely thru the state.
    In Iowa, it is a concealed weapons permit....You can carry a howitzer if you can conceal it
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frmboybuck View Post
    In Iowa, it is a concealed weapons permit....You can carry a howitzer if you can conceal it

Same here. it even allows for tazers, if you want to go that route.

Thread Information