1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default Concealed Weapons Permit

    I'm currently in the beginning of the application process for several departments in Florida, and at the same time I am looking into getting my concealed weapons permit. Do you think there is any reason to believe that having this permit will affect my ability to pass a background investigation and get hired by a department in Florida?

    I respect all personal views about having a concealed carry permit, but I would appreciate if responses could be geared only towards how this may affect one's career as a firefighter/paramedic.

    Thanks so much!

    Sam

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    TNFF319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    628

    Default

    I don't think it will hurt.
    FF/Paramedic

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    pasobuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loverly upstate NY
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    I would almost think having passed the background check for a concealed carry permit might help - gives an indication that you don't have anything to hide.....I myself have had background checks run MULTIPLE times for jobs - from PD to Gov't.....so I know I don't have anything that will 'pop up' that I wasn't aware of!

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Doc603's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Sambo23, You pose an interesting question. Off base or not here's how I feel. I feel it should not (note not that it wont) hurt you. If it does hurt you, that not be a fire department that you want to work for. If a fire department has a problem with you bearing arms (a God given, constitutional right) then I'd be leery of how the department's leader ship feels about our other rights and freedoms. But that is just my two cents worth.
    ~ Doc

    - Happy Public Servant working in the Public Safety Field since 1998

    “Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils.” ~ General John Stark

  5. #5
    Permanently Removed
    CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    I wouldnt think it would be a problem

    BUT just dont goof off and get clipped, then you are done.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Having one, i have had no problem at all. I agree with Paso, applying for that permit requires extensive backround check.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Thanks all! Excellent points by Paso and Doc, and no I won't be goofing around with that stuff. Never been arrested before, don't plan to start now!

    All the best!!

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    I have a drivers license and that didn't effect me getting a job that required a background check. I don't see how a CCW would be any different.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo23 View Post
    I'm currently in the beginning of the application process for several departments in Florida, and at the same time I am looking into getting my concealed weapons permit. Do you think there is any reason to believe that having this permit will affect my ability to pass a background investigation and get hired by a department in Florida?

    I respect all personal views about having a concealed carry permit, but I would appreciate if responses could be geared only towards how this may affect one's career as a firefighter/paramedic.

    Thanks so much!

    Sam

    If it is known, someone along the way of interviews may ask you why WHY YOU HAVE IT and WHY YOU NEED IT??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Sambo,

    I am a firefighter in MI, and also a firearms instructor. I have had a CPL** (Concealed Pistol License) since MI became a shall issue state.

    This answer should be taken with a grain of salt since it is coming from another State.

    The background investigation that the County Gun Board will conduct will not be all that different from what any fire department would do. Therefore, a CPL is at least an indicator that your record is clean.

    A CPL should not help or hurt your chances at getting in at any department. I imagine that every department in FL must have at least 1 FF with a CPL.

    What can hurt you is carrying your pistol in areas where you shouldn't be carrying, your attitude when people ask you questions about your CPL (Why do you have one?), and any firearm related offenses.

    In short, it's not your CPL that can get you in trouble, but your conduct. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulder and self awareness. I think you'll be just fine.


    Cheers,

    Tommy


    ** MI is getting away from CCW because Concealed Carry Weapon is an acronym now being used to describe illegal weapons carrying activity. CWP is not being used because the license does not permit you to carry a "Weapon", but more specifically, a "Pistol". Eventually you'll probably see every state move to calling it a CPL, many are doing so already.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Thanks, Crook. To clarify, I am a rifle and shotgun owner, and have for a couple of years been considering the purchase and carry of a pistol. However, the CCW as it now stands will cover me for anything I decide to do, and will also set my mind at ease about the 4-inch folding knife I carry now (not that I'm super worried anyway); Florida has an ambiguous knife law, allowing for the carry of a "common pocketknife" but with no regulations on blade size.

    I'm also definitely aware of where I can and cannot carry any sort of weapon, so no government buildings, schools, etc. for me! Thanks again!

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    pasobuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loverly upstate NY
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    Years ago when I lived with my Dad, I considered getting a carry permit - Dad has one, and it would have been 'just in case' something happened to him - I could legally handle/transport his weapon(s).......

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    473

    Default

    I guess one would have to ask why you want to carry a concealed weapon?

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Frmboybuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    524

    Default

    And any citizen with a brain should answer, "why wouldnt you want to"?
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    473

    Default

    And any background investigator with a brain would want to ask why you wanted one......

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    If someone feels the need to ask, then you can simply tell the background investigator why. Its a hobby. Its protection. Its fun. Its allowed.

    Is any of that problematic? It shouldn't be.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Nm,
    You are incorrect. A background investigator will ask WHY. If you had been through a comprehensive background (or evaluated entry level candidate's backgrounds) then I would count your post as having value.

    As it stands, your post is simply your opinion. It is not based on fact.

    I will say the same thing I said in relation to your post regarding DUI's.

    Be aware of free advice......

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    I can assure that the level of background checks that I have gone through personally for my employer far exceeds anything you're thinking of. But thanks.

    But anyway, you aren't making any sense. You say the BI might ask why he has a CCW. I acknowleged this and suggested that as with anything else, he tell the truth and answer the question. There is no bad answer so long as you aren't using in the commission of crimes.

    What is your problem?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    utilitycow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area, Fl
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Any citizen of Florida that owns any type of firearm should have a concealed license. There are some laws that are not very well written abot transporting a firearm through school zones and parking lots.

    Florida concealed license holders are not public record. This was recently addressed as anti gun lobbyistst wanted the list published. The only time this will come up is on a background investigation packet that asks if you've ever been finger printed and what was the reason.

    I strongly suggest everyone buy a copy of John Gutmacher's book Florida Firearms Laws. Google it.
    ...at this time.

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    CT isn't much better. The CCW appeals list is backed up to 2011 because the appeals committee intentionally stalls the process. Apparently the committee made up of mostly state troopers feels that only state troopers should have guns. The state is being sued five ways to wednesday over their CCW practices.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    utilitycow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area, Fl
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Florida is great about concealed carry and self protection laws. As long as you meet the requirements (background check) you are issued a license. Through the entire history of the licensing program there have been only a handful of incidents involving licensees breaking the law and losing their license. This is a bad state for criminals.
    ...at this time.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    Frmboybuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    And any background investigator with a brain would want to ask why you wanted one......
    I carry one because a cop is too heavy.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crookshank View Post
    Sambo,

    I am a firefighter in MI, and also a firearms instructor. I have had a CPL** (Concealed Pistol License) since MI became a shall issue state.

    This answer should be taken with a grain of salt since it is coming from another State.

    The background investigation that the County Gun Board will conduct will not be all that different from what any fire department would do. Therefore, a CPL is at least an indicator that your record is clean.

    A CPL should not help or hurt your chances at getting in at any department. I imagine that every department in FL must have at least 1 FF with a CPL.

    What can hurt you is carrying your pistol in areas where you shouldn't be carrying, your attitude when people ask you questions about your CPL (Why do you have one?), and any firearm related offenses.

    In short, it's not your CPL that can get you in trouble, but your conduct. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulder and self awareness. I think you'll be just fine.


    Cheers,

    Tommy


    ** MI is getting away from CCW because Concealed Carry Weapon is an acronym now being used to describe illegal weapons carrying activity. CWP is not being used because the license does not permit you to carry a "Weapon", but more specifically, a "Pistol". Eventually you'll probably see every state move to calling it a CPL, many are doing so already.

    Florida will not goto a CPL because it IS a weapons license. If it were a CPL you would be limited to ONLY carrying a pistol. Also the county does not have anything to do with issuing your license, it is handled entirely thru the state.

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    Frmboybuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JMac73 View Post
    Florida will not goto a CPL because it IS a weapons license. If it were a CPL you would be limited to ONLY carrying a pistol. Also the county does not have anything to do with issuing your license, it is handled entirely thru the state.
    In Iowa, it is a concealed weapons permit....You can carry a howitzer if you can conceal it
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frmboybuck View Post
    In Iowa, it is a concealed weapons permit....You can carry a howitzer if you can conceal it

    Same here. it even allows for tazers, if you want to go that route.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Concealed Weapons permit
    By The1Engine in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 05:26 PM
  2. SOPs on Vehicle Operations & Concealed Weapons
    By hfd326 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 03:52 PM
  3. SOPs for vehicle operation & Concealed Weapons
    By hfd326 in forum Emergency Services Administration
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2006, 02:25 AM
  4. concealed weapons sog's
    By firewally1966 in forum Ohio
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 06:44 PM
  5. concealed weapons SOG's
    By firewally1966 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 09:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register