Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Hello from an Aspiring Firefighter in Oklahoma

Hello all,
    This is my first post and I've not spent much time on the boards so I hope a post from a non firefighter is okay.

I'm 33 years old from Oklahoma City, OK and have decided to become a fireman. I've always had a passion for fire but never pursued it due to not graduating High School. So this year I got my GED and am now on my way. I'm enrolled in a Night Basic EMT class starting in January and planning to enroll in a night Firefighter one course at EOC college.

I wanted to start by applying at Oklahoma City, but they have a hiring freeze right now and I hear that no recruits will even be taken until 2011. I'm ready to start this now so I'm going to do it on my own.

I hope that I can gain information from you all on the process and maybe even meet some locals that are willing to give some pointers.

Thank you all and Merry Christmas!!!!

Yancy
    Moore, Ok

If you can't find a paid job,try a VFD, if nothing else, you will gain some experience, and hopefully get your cert. Good Luck
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Forum Member

Thanks, Bull321

I've thought about the VFD thing also. I'm thinking the volunteer experience would at-least look good on my resume.

I've got a handful of small communities around me that are within 20-30 minute drives. I'm not sure if that is close enough for them but I'll start calling.

Thank you!

Forum Member

AGain, I would get your schooling and training on track as you have begun and keep it going, then as the previous poster recommended, submit an application to a volunteer fire department close by.

Some of the larger volly departments will even let you stay at their station while attending classes. If they have sleeping arrangements and you have no family members expecting you at home. you will be expected to respond to emergencies of course, but you can often get additional hands on training to help you retain what you are learning.

BTW. Is Sam Bradford going to be able to qualify for next year or is he done with OU?

Where in OKC you located? I've put 2 years in at Deer Creek, just left... I know they're looking for people eager to be in the fire service. They're volly paid per-call, super good guys. Look into Eastern Oklahoma County fire academy, really great instructions and can open some doors for you. I wouldn't hold your breath on OKC, they've basically been hiring paramedic's only... I think only a couple non-medic's in the last class..... Good luck!

Forum Member

@JAM24U, Thanks for the reply. My family would be expecting me at home but I think we have to get used to the idea that I wont be there when I finally do get into a department. And as far as Bradford goes, I'm really not sure if he can come back. I don't think he wants to. I think he's ready to go pro. BUT I dont really keep up with all news. lol Just the scores.

@ Randomhero, I'm from Moore, so go figure the complete opposite Direction of Deer Creek.

I'm officially enrolled in my EMT class that starts mid January, so I got that ball rolling. I'm also looking at enrolling at EOC for FF1 class and do them both at the same time, each only 2 nights a week. So maybe I can be ready to put some apps in by the middle of the year. I'm just not sure if I can handle 2 classes at once. I've not studied much other then my GED in a very long time so I'm really curious to what kind of work goes into the FF1 cert.

Thanks again to you both for the replies and please anyone else send some comments my way.

Thanks
    Yancy

Thread Information