Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default You know it's gonna be a long day when they drop off a pota-potty

The Egremont (MA) Fire Department had a very long weekend this weekend when the historic Egremont Inn went up in flames early friday morning. At approximately 04:45 Friday morning, the FD received a AFA from the Inn. On arrival of the first engine, flames were visible from the outside. The crew, including Chief Turner, made a valiant effort at suppressing the fire, but were unable to do so. Mutual aid was immediately dispatched from the surrounding towns of Great Barrington and Sheffield. He mutual aid resources for this fire were immense. 3 states were involved. Canaan Ct sent a ladder truck and Hudson NY sent a 100' tower to supplement the 102' tower supplied by Gt. Barrington. With that much water power and a town without pressurized hydrants, one would ask "how were they able to maintain water flow for 3 ladders?" Luckily there was a brook nearby where we had set up 4 water source trucks. An estimated 4.3 million gallons of water were flowed that day.
    Basically all of Southern Berkshire County MA was there, including Egremont, Gt. Barrington, Sheffield, Alford, New Marlborough, Monterey. Out of state resources included Canaan Ct, Hillsdale NY, Hudson NY, Craryville NY. MA Department of Fire Services provided the Incident Command Unit and the Rehab unit that travelled 130 miles from the base in Stowe MA. Numerous businesses in the area provided hot food and drink on the fridgid day. Yes, a porta potty was delivered also.
    Despite the valiant effort of so many, the Inn was a total loss. Luckily nobody was staying there at the time, and no injuries were reported from firefighters.
    The cause remains under investigation at this time by the State Fire Marshalls office and Egremont FD officials

Lt. Jeremy Van Deusen EMT-P
    Egremont Fire Department
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

I read about this locally - and probably know some of the NY FF's that responded.....very lucky that there were no occupants, and no one got hurt! Unfortunate to lose a historical business/building - so you know if they plan on rebuilding?

I have not heard any plans as of yet. Everyone is still reeling from the loss. We've always dreaded the day this thing went up.
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

Pics about the 5 bagger in Egremont can be found here...

www.fireservicephotography.com
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thanks for putting the link up Dep, I forgot that he had them up on his site. Ed is also writing an article for First Responder.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

An estimated 4.3 million gallons of water were flowed that day
    Could it be that because of this volume of water, the structure was lost?

JUST KIDDING!

Well done to the Boyz for no injuries, but sorry that it turned into a loss. Losing any structure is bad, but a Heritage Building is more than just a "structure".
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

There appears to be a delay in dispatching due to the alarm company. The dept and Fire Marshalls office is looking into it. We've all been dreading the day this place went up. It was a labyrnth in the guest room areas.
    Despite the amount of water flowed, we were still out for 2 rekindles after the building was knocked down.

Forum Member

Man, just looking at the pics makes me cold. And it ain't even Christmas yet. Like certain regular posters on here, I am going to make a statement that I have no scientific evidence to back up. (Why the hell not? Seems like the thing to do!) I think we are in for a rough winter in the colder climes. Hardly a shred of summer, to me equals a long, cold, nasty winter.
    Leroy140 Fairfield, CT Local 1426

Forum Member

You think this is big, in 2008 there was a fire near me that went to 8 or 9 alarms and involved over 1,013 fire personal and 153 apparatus! Now that's a fire!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    You think this is big, in 2008 there was a fire near me that went to 8 or 9 alarms and involved over 1,013 fire personal and 153 apparatus! Now that's a fire!

you guys should have just put kentland on the initial and saved everyone a lot of time and energy. :P

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yeah.................

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    you guys should have just put kentland on the initial and saved everyone a lot of time and energy. :P

Absolutely...................
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default Yep...............

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy140 View Post
    Man, just looking at the pics makes me cold. And it ain't even Christmas yet. Like certain regular posters on here, I am going to make a statement that I have no scientific evidence to back up. (Why the hell not? Seems like the thing to do!) I think we are in for a rough winter in the colder climes. Hardly a shred of summer, to me equals a long, cold, nasty winter.

Hi Leroy! I do believe you are right. A lot of factors are coming together to create a Colder than Normal Winter for a good part of the U.S...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

I'm just glad it was last week and not today/tomorrow. It's a balmy 12 degrees out and a bit of a wind. Not supposed to be much better tomorrow. I actually had a combination nozzle freeze up on me. Wouldn't flow a drop of water.

Quote Originally Posted by LeuitEFDems View Post
    There appears to be a delay in dispatching due to the alarm company. The dept and Fire Marshalls office is looking into it. We've all been dreading the day this place went up. It was a labyrnth in the guest room areas.
    Despite the amount of water flowed, we were still out for 2 rekindles after the building was knocked down.
    Gee, that sounds familiar - wonder how many 'keyholders' they tried to contact before calling the FD!

Reminds me of a call I took one night while dispatching - we had gotten a radio call from a VAC member who could see flames from a neighboring road through the woods.....started everybody and their brother while trying to find out what road the fire was on (CAD was in infancy then).....long story short - FD gets there, through the roof on arrival.....about 20 minutes into the call I answer the emergency phone for that jurisdiction and get the 'This is ___ calling with an automatic fire alarm'......they had tried (unsuccessfully) to contact the homeowner...GEE I WONDER WHY??? ...maybe because the house was burning down?????......Turned out to be over a 1 million dollar loss on the property.......

I basically told them to keep trying the homeowner because they didn't have a house any more!

Thread Information