Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What if i didn't ask for enough?

Stupid question here. May be to late to make a difference but what happens if I did not ask for enough money on certain items for my turnout gear. I got a reduction on some items which I think I can work around but some items I asked for less than the normal cap and fear that the estimates I got will no longer apply.

28 Coats $900 (pretty sure I asked for more)
    27 Pants $583
    16 Hoods $35
    28 Boots $129
    31 Helmets $200 (pretty sure I asked for more)
    10 Gloves $53

If we can't get what we need/want for the above prices then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsfighting17 View Post
    Stupid question here. May be to late to make a difference but what happens if I did not ask for enough money on certain items for my turnout gear. I got a reduction on some items which I think I can work around but some items I asked for less than the normal cap and fear that the estimates I got will no longer apply.

27 Pants $583
    16 Hoods $35
    28 Boots $129
    10 Gloves $53

First, if you get a reduction letter, you can always dispute it and see where it gets you. I've had about 50/50 luck on getting amounts added back in after reduction letters.

Second, you pretty much need to get what you specified in your request....if you can't, then you don't fufill your grant. However once awarded you do have a year to complete your grant and that may buy you extra time to raise whatever funds you are short of.

Forum Member

so if my department is willing to spend the extra money to make up the difference thats ok?

Yes. Anything beyond what they give you is up to you.

Forum Member

wow i feel quiet a bit better now. thanks for the quick replies.

Forum Member

27 Pants $583
    16 Hoods $35
    28 Boots $129
    10 Gloves $53

Remember to send out for bids to vendors on the PPE's first. To see what happens. Many vendors will work with you AFTER you get your quotes.

Then if you notice that some items are higher than expected and others items stay the same, you can contact AFG to ask for changes in expenditures. (As long as you stay within the overall award amount, they are willing to help. They will not give you extra of course.

Last year period, due to the gas prices panic and other issues I had increases in almost evey other item except my structural turnout coat and pants. Everything else jumped a lot in some cases. So I selected cheaper coats and pants and applied the savings towards the other grant items.

Now the point is to get written documentation of this approval in advance from the AFG help desk. They'll give it to you as long as you stay within what you requested in the application. Example: If you requested a structural helmet that has its own headlamp system, that is what you have to get. Not one without a headlamp.

I noticed that you did not include any wildland ppe. If you respond to some wildland fires, you should consider asking for wildland gear too. NFPA likes FF's to fight wildland fires in wildland equipment. Your structurals will last longer and you can run for your life faster in wildland gear. Can double the equipment for each firefighter.

BTW, the amounts you just provided sound like your not going to have any problem.

Forum Member

thanks for the advise jam. i had a couple other items that we wanted on top of the gear like a tic (we don't have one) and some radio equipment but we decided to only ask for gear so we didn't look greedy. the gear is currently 90% of the problems we have in our company. hopefully the lack of 2008 fire reports isn't gonna count us out. we have a different assistant chief incharge of them now and we've had issues on our end.

Forum Member

thanks for the advise jam. i had a couple other items that we wanted on top of the gear like a tic (we don't have one) and some radio equipment but we decided to only ask for gear so we didn't look greedy. the gear is currently 90% of the problems we have in our company. hopefully the lack of 2008 fire reports isn't gonna count us out. we have a different assistant chief incharge of them now and we've had issues on our end.
    Get to the NFIRS 5.0 reporting system self study. First get registered as your SFM office will have to approve your id. Then start the process. Get registered before the year is out is my recommendation.

Thread Information