Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Louisiana Battalion Chief dies

La. Chief Dies Months After Fall From Truck
    Battalion Chief Tommy Adams suffered a severe vertebrae fracture and spent 10 months in a relative state of coma before his death.

Firehouse.com News

-

Posted: Sat, 12/12/2009 - 18:03
    Updated: Sat, 12/12/2009 - 18:09 ..
    Shreveport, La., Battalion Chief Tommy Adams died Saturday, Dec. 12, after being in a coma since he fell from a ladder truck at the end of the Krewe of Gemini Mardi Gras parade on Feb. 21.

According to a news report filed by television station KSLA News 12, based in Shreveport, Chief Adams died at about 2:30 a.m. after nearly 10 months in "a relative state of coma" with his wife, Traci, his family and Shreveport Fire Chief Brian Crawford by his side.

Chief Adams, 52, a 31-year veteran of the fire service, was critically injured when he fell 10 to 15 feet from a ladder truck parked at the end of the parade route. According to news reports at the time, Chief Adams suffered a severe cervical vertebrae fracture, stopped breathing and lost a pulse during transport to the hospital. Paramedics revived him enroute to the hospital, but he remained in a coma.

In a statement issued by his wife after Chief Adams' passing she said; "We were all better for having known and loved Tommy Adams. The girls and I are heart-broken, but are at peace with seeing him back with HIS father in heaven. God has been with us through this entire event and I feel HIS blessings, love and mercy wrapped around me tighter than ever."

In a statement issued by Chief Crawford, Chief Adams' death will be classified as a line-of-duty death and he will be buried with full firefighters honors next week. The arrangements will be announced from the Chief's office as soon as they are available.

"The Fire Department speaking on behalf of the family wishes to thank the tremendous outpouring of support for Tommy and the entire Adams family shown by the Shreveport and surrounding communities," Chief Crawford said in a statement. "On behalf of the City of Shreveport, Mayor Cedric Glover, myself and Tommy's entire fire department family, we send our deepest sympathies to the Adams' family and can never say enough about the sacrifice that Tommy made for this community in his 31 years of dedicated and decorated service. He will be missed."
    My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and his second family at the Shreveport Fire Dept. Rest in peace.

Forum Member

It was nice ceremony and well attended by out of town departments.

Thread Information