Forum Member

Default Accelerated EMT – B Program 14 Days 2/8/10

Accelerated EMT – B Program

Dates: February 8, 2010 –February 26, 2010 (14 Days)
    Students will be off on weekends to complete Clinical/Field rotations

Time: 9am-6pm

Location: Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy, 1380 Central Park Blvd, Suite # 208 Fredericksburg, Va. 22401

Prerequisites:

1. Student must be 16 years of age or older before the start of the course.
    2. Hold an approved cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) course at the beginning date of the course. This certification must also be current at the time of state testing. (CCJA will offer this training before this course.)

Cost: $1,200.00 (This cost does not include Books or test fees)

Coordinator: Charles A. Williams NREMT-P

Registration: Call (540) 322-3000 or e-mail ccjatraining@gmail.com

Books:

Required text:
    Mosby's EMT-Basic Textbook Revised 2nd Edition Revised W. Stoy, T. Platt, D. Lejeune and the Center for Emergency Medicine, published by Mosby

Required text:
    Mosby's EMT-Basic Workbook 2nd Edition W. Stoy, T. Platt, D. Lejeune and the Center for Emergency Medicine, published by Mosby.

Program description:
    Emergency Medical Technician – Basic (4 year certification)

The Emergency Medical Technician – Basic course is designed to provide training to prepare an individual to function independently in a medical emergency. This course provides the basic knowledge and skills needed to provide basic life support (BLS) care and is required to progress to more advanced levels of pre-hospital patient care.

The course requires a minimum of 111 hours of classroom and skills instruction and 10 hours of Clinical/Field rotations for a total of 121 hours of training. Virginia Certification requires successful completion of a written and practical skills examination. This course is designed to train individuals to serve as a vital link in the chain of the health care team.

Student will be eligible to sit for Virginia EMT-Basic exam Note: reciprocity available to the take National Registry Exam after gaining Virginia certification.

This includes all skills necessary to provide emergency medical care as an attendant-in-charge with a basic life support ambulance service or other specialized rescue service.

Upon successfully completion of the training program, the student will be capable of performing the following functions:

(1) Recognize the nature and seriousness of the patient’s condition or extent of injury to assess requirements for emergency care.

(2) Administer appropriate emergency care to stabilize the patient’s condition.

(3) Lift, move, position and otherwise handle the patient in a way as to minimize discomfort and further injury.

The EMT-Basic curriculum will be based upon the DOT National Standard Curriculum for the EMT-Basic (1994 edition) and the 2002 Supplemental Airway Modules for the 1994 EMT-Basic National Standard Curriculum. The EMT-Basic will be trained and proficient in all skills described in the DOT National Standard Curriculum for the EMT-Basic (1994 edition) and the 2002 Supplemental modules for the EMT-Basic: National Standard Curriculum.

Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy LLC.
    Thomas Perroni
    Training Director/Instructor
    1380 Central Park Blvd Suite 208 Fredericksburg, Va. 22401
    www.ccjatraining.com
    Office: (540) 322-3000 Cell: (540) 846-7088
    ccjatraining@gmail.com
    DCJS# 88-1499

Forum Member

Please don't tell me you also have a 28 day paramedic program!
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

I find this post different one!
    I am working on projects related to these vcp410 | mcafee certification | 70-536 exam questions

Forum Member

Tis sound like its for either "Doogie Howser, M.D." or quick recert for those who have been out too long ... wow.

Forum Member

This seems a little expensive. I am taking an EMT class right now thats about 20 more hours and costs $700.

Forum Member

1994 Ed? really I old can only image how out of date that is.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    I believe that this is the curriculum that most (if not all) states work off of. As far as the class goes, it seems to have the same amount of class hours and requirements that most EMT-B programs do. Its all just crammed into a period of 14 days. Thats alot of info to let sink in, in a short period of time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCJS Instructor View Post
    Program description:
    Emergency Medical Technician – Basic (4 year certification)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the National Registry cert expired every 2 years?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the National Registry cert expired every 2 years?

Yes National is 2 years. But I was reading Texas cert is good for 4 years and you have to have your National to get it.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

MembersZone Subscriber

Being from VA (where this program is taking place) - allow me to clarify a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine3982 View Post
    I believe that this is the curriculum that most (if not all) states work off of. As far as the class goes, it seems to have the same amount of class hours and requirements that most EMT-B programs do. Its all just crammed into a period of 14 days. Thats a lot of info to let sink in, in a short period of time.
    Wolverine is correct - that's the National DOT standard. The 2002 Supplemental Airway Modules is basically the "update" that added the Combi-Tube (over simplification) to the curriculum. Also each and every state (and even services and regions with-in a state) is free to add whatever they see fit to the National Standard.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    As Tipsy stated - You are correct in that all NR Certs expire every 2 years. However this isn't a NR cert, it is a VA State cert which is good for 4 years. (VA State EMT-Enhanced, EMT-I and EMT-P are good for 3 years)

Yes National is 2 years. But I was reading Texas cert is good for 4 years and you have to have your National to get it.
    Each state can & does have different entry requirements.

For example in VA EMT-Basic & EMT-Enhanced (a VA based certification) DO NOT require NR cert at all.

Initial EMT-I & EMT-P candidates must pass the NR exams and then apply for Reciprocity to VA for State certification. At that point it is up to the individual technician to keep up NR or not as VA does not require you to maintain NR cert - only VA state cert.

The "cool" part is that NR & VA have the same Con-Ed requirements for EMT-P - the only difference being NR makes you get it in 2 years while VA gives you three. So if you continue to keep up your NR cert (and do a little paperwork) then your VA cert is basically a "gimme".

For EMT-B & EMT-I the VA state CE requirements is 24h/4y and 48h/3y respectively where as NR is still 72h/2y so there is no incentive to become a NR Basic and very very little to maintain a NR Intermediate.

Most NR Paramedics in VA maintain theirs either because they work across state lines, plan to relocate to another state, or simply for "bragging rights" to wear the NR glitter patch instead of the state patch.

Hope that helps some because education & certification requirements between states has, is, and most likely will be for some time; a major confusing mess.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

EMT-B in two weeks?!!! I'm thinking this is a waste of money....and not a very good class.
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Breech31 View Post
    EMT-B in two weeks?!!! I'm thinking this is a waste of money....and not a very good class.
    Not a waste of money. However, it is for those who have had some sort of EMT in the past and let it expire or got out of the service and then came back, for whatever reason.

Yes, 2 weeks is a short period of time, however, that's all your going to be doing is EMT! You still have to do the Virginia state test which is the same test every other EMT-B in the state takes....I do not think it is a course designed for dumb asses or those who are going to waste their time!

Forum Member

Classroom only accounts for 25% of being a good EMT. The rest is field related. So, if you can pass the NR and VA tests after a 2 week course, more power to you.

However, the cost is OUTRAGEOUS!!! My EMT course was only $500 back in 2007 or so.

Pete

Forum Member

Default Class Information

13 students took the Virginia EMT test on the 27th the day after the 3 week course.

12 students passed or 92% passed......

Not bad...also keep in mind the course was Monday Through Friday so each student did a clinical rotation for (8) hours a day for Saturday and Sunday each weekend for 2 weekends...Way more than the states required 10 hours and 2 pt contacts.

Now that they have all the knowledge and skills they have to go out and work in the field to truly learn how to practice medicine.

For all those of you who say: 14 days 3 weeks is not enough time..... Most major fire academies in the state of Virginia do the same time frame teaching EMT to firefighters....

This course is not for everyone I will admit however don’t talk crap about a program you have not taken nor have any knowledge of.

I will answer any ligit questions or try to help any one who may have questions or concerns. ccjatraining@gmail.com

Tom Perroni, EMT
    Training Director
    Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy

Forum Member

And we wonder why EMS is the shape it's in.

Show this to a Canadian Primary Care Paramedic (BLS provider), and tell them that this course is all that's necessary to have primary responsibility on a BLS unit.

They'll probably puke, then vow never to set foot in the US again.

Forum Member

You only need your NR to get your initial Texas cert. After the state certs you, you can let NR lapse and maintain just your state every 4 years.

Forum Member

Sounds to me they are teaching the test!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCJS Instructor View Post
    13 students took the Virginia EMT test on the 27th the day after the 3 week course.

12 students passed or 92% passed......

Not bad...also keep in mind the course was Monday Through Friday so each student did a clinical rotation for (8) hours a day for Saturday and Sunday each weekend for 2 weekends...Way more than the states required 10 hours and 2 pt contacts.

Now that they have all the knowledge and skills they have to go out and work in the field to truly learn how to practice medicine.

For all those of you who say: 14 days 3 weeks is not enough time..... Most major fire academies in the state of Virginia do the same time frame teaching EMT to firefighters....

This course is not for everyone I will admit however don’t talk crap about a program you have not taken nor have any knowledge of.

I will answer any ligit questions or try to help any one who may have questions or concerns. ccjatraining@gmail.com

Tom Perroni, EMT
    Training Director
    Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy

I know several people who have taken the two week class. All have said it is intense but so long as you stay focused, it's not a big deal. And your still learning the same things as a longer class, the only difference is your doing the class full time vs a few hours a week. It's not like they are giving you less training then you would have in a 1 or two night a week class.

Thread Information