Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Question Santy Claus Not NFPA/NIOSH/CSA Compliant?

I heard this on the radio this morning:

Unhealthy Santa should walk, give up brandy: study
    (AFP)

PARIS — Santa should get off his sleigh and walk, and lay off the brandy and mince pies, says an Australian study published Thursday that criticises Father Christmas for being a bad role model for children.

The current image of Santa Claus promotes obesity, drink-driving, {Errrrr????} speeding and an unhealthy lifestyle, says a study from Australia's Monash University published in the British Medical Journal.

"Epidemiologically there is a correlation between countries that venerate Santa Claus and those that have high levels of childhood obesity," says the research.

While a clear link has not been established, there "is a possibility that Santa promotes a message that obesity is synonymous with cheerfulness and joviality," it says.

Santa should go on diet and the tradition of leaving him cookies, mince pies, milk, brandy or sherry should cease, it says. Instead, he could share the carrots and celery sticks often left for his reindeer.

"Santa might also be encouraged to adopt a more active method to deliver toys -- swapping his reindeer for a bike or simply walking or jogging," the study says.

It also questions his drinking saying the brandies often left for him would mean that with a few billion houses to visit, he would soon be driving his sleigh over the limit.

Santa impersonators also have potential to spread infectious diseases: if they sneeze or cough around 10 times a day, all the children who sit on their laps may end up with swine flu, the researchers say.

And although Santa is banned from smoking in public, images of him enjoying a pipe or cigar can still be found on Christmas cards.

The study also accuses Santa of promoting speeding, disregard for road rules, and extreme sports such as roof surfing and chimney jumping -- although he is never shown wearing a seatbelt or a helmet. {has there ever been a Sick Day Request or Injury Report on him?

Santa is one of the most famous fictional characters in the world and is even more recognised in the United States than Ronald McDonald while also gaining popularity in the developing world, the study says.

His popularity should be used to promote health living, says the study, offering a new image for Santa in slimmed-down form and on a treadmill.

"We need to be aware that Santa has an ability to influence people, and especially children, towards unhealthy behaviour," the researchers say. {WHATEVER!}

Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved.
    ==

Santa promotes unhealthy lifestyle, doctor argues

Last Updated: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 | 8:53 PM ET
    Comments 98Recommend 21 CBC News

Santa ought to ditch his sleigh, get walking, and give up his pipe, a public health expert argues. (Ron Johnson/Peoria Journal/Associated Press)Santa ought to ditch his sleigh, get walking, and give up his pipe, a public health expert argues.

In the light-hearted {it was?} Christmas issue of the British Medical Journal, Dr. Nathan Grills, from Monash University in Australia, says the image of Jolly Old St. Nick promotes obesity and an unhealthy lifestyle, based on Grills' review of literature and websites.

"Santa only needs to affect health by 0.1 per cent to damage millions of lives," Grills said, adding it would be better if his popularity was used to promote healthy living, such as sharing carrots with his red-nosed reindeer Rudolph.

Awareness of Santa is high, with Ronald McDonald being the only fictional character more widely recognized among American school children, he found.

But the review suggested Santa is a reckless role model, who snacks on cookies, occasionally smokes cigars and doesn't wear a helmet during "extreme sports such as roof surfing and chimney jumping."

He could also be promoting drunk driving, given the tradition of leaving Santa Claus a brandy to wish him well on his travels.

Promotes a 'sedentary' image
    The jolly gift giver also "continues to sport a rotund, sedentary image," Gillis wrote.

During the swine flu pandemic, Santa is in close contact with sniffling, coughing kids. If Santa sneezes or coughs around 10 times a day, all the children who sit on his lap may end up with H1N1 as well as their Christmas present, argues Grills.

Grills said he donned a Santa suit himself, and was turned off by the snotty nosed kids and lack of wipes or sanitizer between clients.

Grills proposed a new image for Santa: a slimmed down version on a treadmill.

None of the publications examined were peer reviewed.

COMMENTS:

DaisyMae wrote:
    Posted 2009/12/17 at 5:30 AM ET No question about it - half the bloggers on this website seriously lack a funny bone. Read the article again. It's a parody - a joke - a clever play on formal scientific process. Read the last sentence in the article. That should give you a hint.

steven jc wrote:
    Posted 2009/12/17 at 4:31 AM ET Just a total waste of time and money.
    If some government agency actually funded this study, they should be forced to repay it back to the taxpayer. I cant believe i wasted 20 second to even comment on stupidity!!!

DeAnna wrote:
    Posted 2009/12/17 at 4:10 AM ET People, where is your sense of humor? It says "In the light-hearted Christmas issue of the British Medical Journal, Dr. Nathan Grills, from Monash University in Australia, says the image of Jolly Old St. Nick promotes obesity and an unhealthy lifestyle, based on Grills' review of literature and websites."

Susan L wrote:
    Posted 2009/12/17 at 3:18 AM ET Tell me I didn't just read...
    "Awareness of Santa is high, with Ronald McDonald being the only fictional character more widely recognized among American school children, he found."

A good and most precious chunk of our population has certain views on this very REAL character that gives them so much joy and delight that a great deal of the other chunk of our population would love to not see them not robbed of...

Just becuase this article was meant as a joke doesn't make it funny.....

josh89 wrote:
    Posted 2009/12/17 at 2:45 AM ET Did I really just read an article about Santa being an unhealthy icon? I think everybody who had anything to do with this article in anyway should just smack themselves in the head and go find real jobs.

There's about 10 pages worth on that one.

Select the most correct answer.

34. There is a small segment of the population (do-gooders) that wishes to improve society. What is their reason?

1) We're not having a good time so we'll screw it up for everyone else.

2) We are uncomfortable with personal responsibility, so lets punish those that are by taking all of their stuff.

3) We don't like Christmas and find it offensive and a waste of time, so we'll get rid of it.

4) We are slim and fit and don't like fat people, so let's make them all go on a diet.

5) We don't like fat snotty kids, so lets limit the number that anyone can have.

6) We don't believe in God, Prayer or morality, so we will take it away for all of the others.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Select the most correct answer.

34. There is a small segment of the population (do-gooders) that wishes to improve society. What is their reason?

1) We're not having a good time so we'll screw it up for everyone else.

2) We are uncomfortable with personal responsibility, so lets punish those that are by taking all of their stuff.

3) We don't like Christmas and find it offensive and a waste of time, so we'll get rid of it.

4) We are slim and fit and don't like fat people, so let's make them all go on a diet.

5) We don't like fat snotty kids, so lets limit the number that anyone can have.

6) We don't believe in God, Prayer or morality, so we will take it away for all of the others.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7) All of the above

Quote Originally Posted by BryanLoader View Post
    7) All of the above
    HAHAHAHAA I concur!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Me,too!
    Like John Boy and Billy's Big Show character Mad Max growls "It's Christmas.Leave me alone and quit ruinin' my life!"

I just wish Santa would quit going to the Gold Club.Mrs Claus is going to find out about him and "Diamond".Mrs Claus is a blade man,man.She's gonna cut him bad.

MembersZone Subscriber

The study also accuses Santa of promoting speeding, disregard for road rules, and extreme sports such as roof surfing and chimney jumping -- although he is never shown wearing a seatbelt or a helmet.
    If he does get a helmet, should it be leather traditional or plastic modern?

I also note that he doesn't have chevrons on the back of his sleigh. How did he every manage all of this time?

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    I also note that he doesn't have chevrons on the back of his sleigh. How did he every manage all of this time?
    ...but at least it's red....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    If he does get a helmet, should it be leather traditional or plastic modern?

LEATHER! Natch!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

There was a micro-spot on the noon news about Santa as a role model, maybe we can catch it this evening. Something about how being jolly and giving is the best role model kids could have.

There was a micro-spot on the noon news about Santa as a role model, maybe we can catch it this evening. Something about how being jolly and giving is the best role model kids could have.

That wouldn't be politicaly correct and might hurt someone's feelings.

And thanks for fixing my oversight BryanLoader.

In my haste, I forgot to include the only correct answer.

7) All of the above
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Just so it gets asked:How many lights should Santa put on his sleigh and should he run lights and sirens to calls from the North Pole?

"There is NO Sanity Clause" Groucho Marx

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hey!!!..........

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    ...but at least it's red....

Watch that stuff there............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Watch that stuff there............

Don't forget, I come from a department with unripened fire trucks too...

What about Rudolph's nose? Is it a strobe or an LED?

When Santa goes down the chimney, does he have a RIT team available?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    When Santa goes down the chimney, does he have a RIT team available?
    Thats what the reindeer are for! They have those fancy new harnesses that aid in chimney extrications.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Thats what the reindeer are for! They have those fancy new harnesses that aid in chimney extrications.
    I'm sure Santa doesn't go in without his PASS (Please Assist Stuck Santa) activated....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information