FH Mag/.com Contributor

Exclamation SAFER Change - new deadline

The SAFER deadline has now been extended to January 15th for several reasons. Among them the misunderstanding about what positions are eligible for rehires, re-clarification that hiring can only be for new positions OR rehires, and some other minor ones.

Get your apps in folks, they are way down for many reasons. If you're not sure what to do or what you can do keep your eyes on the front page, have to go meet the sod guy and move more boxes to the new house but I'll be finishing off the article and Blog on SAFER tonight.

Happy Granting - Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

I see that they reset the countdown clock to 29 days

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Was actually done yesterday before the announcement that's still coming. I imagine there will be some clarifications coming out on some of the details of the program since there were some questions that came up that weren't fully addressed about the program that caused confusion and some not to apply.

Forum Member

I might try to do something with that now. Thanks for the update.

Forum Member

This change doesn't bode well for 2010 Fire Act grant scheduling.

Not sure that FEMA will really want to roll out 2010 SAFER before 2010 AFG (as previously suggested) if they're already pushing 2009 SAFER back another month.

I also saw a previous post that 2009 SAFER peer review is scheduled for mid January. How will this be affected?

Forum Member

where is the info for the extension? have checked everywhere and can't find it....i am ready to hit the submit button for our grant (2 Firefighters)....

Forum Member

i just received the following email:

December 17, 2009

During the present difficult economic circumstances being experienced by local jurisdictions, many potential Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant applicants have expressed concern regarding the prohibition against using SAFER funds to supplant local budgets and the Secretary's ability to waive the prohibition. DHS has revisited the existing policy on supplanting for the 2009 SAFER funding cycle. The Secretary has decided that DHS will consider petitions for waivers on supplanting from 2009 grantees on a case-by-case basis and under certain conditions:

2009 SAFER grantees that lose firefighters during the period of performance and find that they are unable to back-fill vacated firefighting positions due to documentable economic hardship may petition for a waiver. In order to qualify for this waiver, the economic hardship must affect the entire public safety sector in their jurisdiction, not merely the fire department.
    The causes of the vacancies could include retirement, voluntary or involuntary separation, or calls to active duty in the reserves or National Guard.
    In the absence of a granted waiver, the policies stated in the present guidance would still apply, i.e., vacancies caused by one of the circumstances cited in #2 above do not have to be replaced and will not cause a cancellation of the grant if not replaced. However, the amount of the allowable reimbursement of SAFER positions would be reduced by the number of vacated positions, not replaced. (Example A grantee has 20 firefighters (FF's) and receives a SAFER grant for five more FF's. One of the 20 FF's retires and is not replaced. The grantee would then be eligible to receive reimbursement only for four FF's instead of the original five.)
    The policy regarding the prohibition against layoffs has not changed. No waivers will be granted for layoffs and SAFER grantees are prohibited against laying-off any firefighters during the SAFER grant's period of performance.
    We remind applicants that while the previous requirement that newly created positions be maintained for an additional one year past the period of performance, there is no requirement to maintain the positions past the period of performance for awards made to rehire vacated or laid off firefighters.

In order for all potential applicants to have sufficient time to consider this revised policy guidance, DHS will extend the 2009 SAFER application period. The new application deadline will be 5:00 p.m., Eastern Time, Friday, January 15, 2010. Applicants that have already submitted their application and wish to amend the application given this new policy guidance will be granted that opportunity. Applicants that wish to amend their submitted SAFER application should call the Help Desk at 1-866-274-0960.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

AFG and SAFER will not be flipped, AFG will be in April with DHS workshops in March. No word on Peer Review moving for SAFER but odds are they might review what has been submitted that first week and move the 2nd one to the week after.

Forum Member

Ok, so what is the lamen terms interpretation of the changes. I saw the biggest definition was considering supplanting of funds. Is there anything else?

Thread Information