Forum Member

Default Howdy from TX (plus brotherly advice)

Hello, FF's,

I've been getting most of my fire news and gossip here (indirectly) for several years thru a co worker. I finally signed up today.

I just wanted to stop in and say hello but I felt compelled to remind you all of something. LOVE your job even on days when it doesn't exactly love you. I resigned as a FF/EMT in august to move from MI to TX. I was SO LUCKY to work in Fire/EMS. Sure it had it's moments (a lot of bad ones) but it's the best, most gratifying thing I've ever done.

I moved to the Austin area which is all county based full time. I'm pushing 40 with basically zero chance of resuming my work in fire/ems. It's been 4 months and I'm not even to the "acceptance" phase of the grieving process. Someone call 911..I need a Whaaaaambulance.

Thanks for listening

Brian K

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MFD1731 View Post
    Hello, FF's,

I've been getting most of my fire news and gossip here (indirectly) for several years thru a co worker. I finally signed up today.

I just wanted to stop in and say hello but I felt compelled to remind you all of something. LOVE your job even on days when it doesn't exactly love you. I resigned as a FF/EMT in august to move from MI to TX. I was SO LUCKY to work in Fire/EMS. Sure it had it's moments (a lot of bad ones) but it's the best, most gratifying thing I've ever done.

I moved to the Austin area which is all county based full time. I'm pushing 40 with basically zero chance of resuming my work in fire/ems. It's been 4 months and I'm not even to the "acceptance" phase of the grieving process. Someone call 911..I need a Whaaaaambulance.

Thanks for listening

Brian K

You should have struck it out and not let get you PO'ed and resigned. OR was you forced into it???

Forum Member

Default I should clarify

I wasn't forced out or PO'd. I'm an economic refugee from MI.

My wife (fearing for her job in MI) had a great career opportunity in TX. I took one for the family and we moved. Our home's value was falling, unemployment was rising and we figured we'd make a bold move and get out before it was too late. There's no hiring going on in MI, only firing. My paid on call salary wasn't paying the bills.

I love fire/ems but not enough to move my wife and 2 kids into a cardboard box under a freeway overpass. That's where it was headed. If I'd had a crystal ball 20 years ago we wouldn't be having this discussion because I wouldn't be here whining about my situation to begin with.

Happy New Year!

Brian K

Thread Information