Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Ideas for a 'Thank you'/show of appreciation?

I was contacted by a friend of mine the other day, asking about ideas for a show of appreciation for a babysitter who was faced with waking up to find the apartment she was in on fire.....she was able to get the child she was babysitting out safely, and notify the downstairs tenants, who also got out safely.....while also calling 911 from her cell phone.

The mother and her best friend are looking for some way to say 'THANK YOU' to her.....I have reached out to the local fire chief already (who credits the babysitter too)....any ideas on something that would not be too embarassing but yet convey the heartfelt thanks of the mother?
    Last edited by pasobuff; 12-17-2009 at 02:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

How old is she? If she's planning on going to college, see if you can find a scholarship out there to help with expenses. Maybe have the fire chief and mother cook her a nice lunch (at the fire house?)? Suggest the mother write a sincere heartfelt letter (and protect it somehow) thanking her for everything. A personal thing like that would mean more to me than a gift certificate or something material.

Too often these days we are commending people for doing the right thing, something that should come naturally to people, without hesitation or forethought.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Too often these days we are commending people for doing the right thing, something that should come naturally to people, without hesitation or forethought.
    How many people do we hear about trying to put out the fire first...then getting injured or killed.......

We don't hear enough about the people who do the right thing - unfortunately all too often it is only the 'bad' outcomes that make the news.....to me it is nice to see a good ending - re-enforces all the fire safety we teach - that some people DO listen!

Here is a link to the newspaper story - the young lady is 19.....I can probably find out if she is going to college etc.....

I had the priviledge of seeing a situation very much like this some years back. The situation was a bit different being it was a 14 year old girl and her 3 year old brother. A fire started in the furnace and quickly spread into the kitchen and living room, (trailer home). She was able to grab the 3yo and the portable phone and covered themselves with a sheet to run through the flames to get out of the house. She suffered burns to her arms, hands and legs, but the boy was uninjured. Once outside she called the fire dept where her brother was one of my rookies. The first truck arrived within two minutes and quickly knocked down the fire, but the damage was extensive. It was the day before Thanksgiving, so they lost nearly everything.

Our guys were so impressed with her actions, they lobbied for recognition of citation. We as firefighters are expected to do these things, but we seldom see this kind of clear thought from civilians, expecially children.

This action went all the way to our US Senator who agreed with recognition and initiated a drive to enlist support for the uninsured family.

Along with the Senator, the Mayor and other Officials, I had the honor of presenting her with the Citizens Citation of Distinguished Service about a month later. When she graduated from high school a few years later, the same Senator invited her to serve as a page. Today she is completing a degree in Political Science. Her little brother is now a cadet in the same dept.

Some may say this was overkill and perhaps she should have done it anyway. But most don't. I've seen many more times when a person is likely to flee and save themselves and leave babies behind. So I do think these types of actions are extraordinary and worthy of recognition. We signed up to do this job, she didn't. We are talking about someone who gave a life back to a mother. That impresses the hell out of me.

And if nothing else, it validates the time we spend in schools and proves we can saves lives by teaching them when they are young.

Just my two cents, paso... I'm impressed with this young lady's action.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Award Description - Citation of Distinguished Service

This citation is awarded to members who on or off duty perform an act far above and beyond the normal call of duty and due so under moderate personal risk involving bravery and involving a high degree of initiative and/or capability.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Thanks Paladin - I'm waiting for a call back fro the Chief - between his Dept and my work we should be able to come up with something nice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe if we were talking about a firefighter or other public figure but I don't expect an average citizen to care enough to evacuate anyone other than themselves. Unfortunately human nature is to be selfish and its rare that you see incidents like these.

Forum Member

Still,it's pretty classy to thank someone for getting kids and other people out of harm's way.
    Maybe a citation of gratitude would be appropriate,or like someone else said,help with school tuition.

Thread Information