Thread: Frustrated

Forum Member

Default Frustrated

I got news today that the department I've interviewed with twice has once again passed me over for a conditional offer. I've been working toward a FF/EMT job for almost 3 years now, have FF1, EMT-I (just passed NREMT test two weekends ago) and have 2 yrs of volunteer experience. Now granted I haven't had the best driving record or criminal record but it has been 5 years since my misdemeanor and 4 since my last driving infraction.

What frustrates me most is when I called HR today to see if they had made offers already and they said yes, I told them I want to make myself a better candidate and asked if I was recommended by the interview panel or if I hadn't. She told me she couldn't tell me where I fell short and that it is a "competitive process." No kidding?

I know that my past (5 years ago) may not be the best, but the mistakes I made, were made in college and I've grown up a LOT since then. I know I'm rambling a lot here and I apologize, but I'm just so frustrated and depressed right now. I think that I hit all the right points in the interview, I told them that this was where I wanted to start a family and a career and asked for the job at the end of the interview and then when I'm not offered the job and not given an insight as to why, it makes me wonder where I'm falling short and have no way to make myself a better candidate.

Is there any way to get to the bottom of why I wasn't offered a job? HR doesn't seem to know and I'm not sure where else to turn to find out answers. Any insight would be great. This is the career that I want. I LOVE EMS and riding the engine and am feeling like now that this opportunity is out, that there is no light at the end of the tunnel after feeling very confident that I would receive an offer this time around.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

If you love EMS, then get your medic. NVCC Annandale Campus has an EMS AAS program. You could probably get the cert much quicker at some fly by night tech school, but I recommend the degree. FD's are giving weight to education nowadays for promotional purposes. The 2 year EMS AAS degree will definitely qualify.

In any event, don't just do the I program. They're going to stop certifying I's for the NR in 2012, and stop recerting in 2015. You can also use the P-card for other FD's across the country, where they may not accept the I-card.

Forum Member

So I take it that HFD didn't hire you? Don't get upset, they may give you a call for the next class.

Did you apply for the RFD as well?

How about Norfolk or Petersburg or Loudoun County. They all were taking app's about the same time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    If you love EMS, then get your medic. NVCC Annandale Campus has an EMS AAS program. You could probably get the cert much quicker at some fly by night tech school, but I recommend the degree. FD's are giving weight to education nowadays for promotional purposes. The 2 year EMS AAS degree will definitely qualify.

In any event, don't just do the I program. They're going to stop certifying I's for the NR in 2012, and stop recerting in 2015. You can also use the P-card for other FD's across the country, where they may not accept the I-card.
    I already have my bachelors degree. Are there any night I to P classes in the DC area?
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    So I take it that HFD didn't hire you? Don't get upset, they may give you a call for the next class.

Did you apply for the RFD as well?

How about Norfolk or Petersburg or Loudoun County. They all were taking app's about the same time.
    Nope, just called today and they'd already made calls. I applied to RFD and didn't make the cut and haven't done any of the last three yet. I'll be making a big push now to places that accept ALS certs since I have my ALS cert.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Get your medic and call DCFD HR. From what I've heard they'll have you in the next class as soon as possible.

Forum Member

You can call them all you want, but you already have identified WHY you were not offered a job. While you believe you have changed, some things are just too big to overlook.

I do not know your personal situation, but I can tell you that time does make things better. The more distance you put between your past the better.

You referenced CRIMINAL record. This is a HUGE red flag and would disqualify you for many departments, regardless of the time that has elapsed.

You also referenced driving record. A poor driving record in itself can disqualify a person.

Again, I do not know you but from what little you have shared I can see why you are having trouble.

Some indiscretions can never be overcome. Some can be overlooked with enough time. Some can be overlooked if a candidate fills a special need such as being a paramedic.

The best thing you can do it to become the most qualified person you can and KEEP YOUR BACKGROUND AND DRIVING RECORD CLEAN!

Any ticket or brush with the law is a considered to be a continuation of your behavior, not an exception. Your quest is to prove that you have changed.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information