Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default Bunker Gear Change?

    Has anyone heard that the NFPA is going to make yellow the only color that is available? We have orange now and were told that they were phasing it out.


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Are you referring to reflective vests?

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cvfd606 View Post
    Has anyone heard that the NFPA is going to make yellow the only color that is available? We have orange now and were told that they were phasing it out.
    What exactly are you refering to? Turnout coats and pants? Traffic vests? Helmets?

    While i have seen yellow turnout gear, i have yet to see any orange gear. And the NFPA cannot dictate what is sold or available. They can only make suggestions.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Sorry, I mean the reflective stripes on the gear. This is the first that I had heard of this.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Valley of Death, CA
    Posts
    151

    Question

    where did you hear this? I purchase all our turnout's and just placed an order.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    We just ordered gear from our Globe dealer and it came in with the yellow striping instead of orange and after realizing it was going to cost money out of their pocket this came up. I was just trying to find out if anyoneelse has heard anything or if our dealer was just trying to save profit.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    SCHAUMBURG, IL.
    Posts
    133

    Default

    I don't think NFPA is going to say what color trim has to be. Fluorescence refers to a brightness of color or an intensity for the color that is relatively visible under daytime conditions. However, in order to be considered ANSI compliant, the color must be in contrast to the background environment. This is why fluorescent colors such as lime yellow or orange-red are used on protective clothing; however the choice of which fluorescent color trim to use rests entirely with the department. For example, lime yellow trim may be considered more noticeable when used on black and gold colored outer shells, but perhaps not as effective when on a yellow shell. In the case of a yellow colored outer shell, many departments prefer a red orange fluorescent trim.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    I just called my local dealer who sells a ton of Turnout gear, he said he has heard nothing about any new rule in regards to trim color. Dealers would know about any rule right away since they are the ones ordering the gear in most cases.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    There has been no change in the NFPA requirements associated with trim color. The most recent NFPA 1971 revision took place in 2007, so it won't be until 2012 before the next one. Have the dealer do the right thing and fix your gear. Then get a new dealer.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cvfd606 View Post
    We just ordered gear from our Globe dealer and it came in with the yellow striping instead of orange and after realizing it was going to cost money out of their pocket this came up. I was just trying to find out if anyoneelse has heard anything or if our dealer was just trying to save profit.
    What color did you spec?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2

    Cool

    The change of colors to chartreuse is not NFPA's Idea, ALL emergency personel on scene are to wear vests/gear with both vertical and horizontal Chartreuse stripes/ solid and have reflective areas. Texas DPS, also must follow these guidelines

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LincolnVFD View Post
    The change of colors to chartreuse is not NFPA's Idea, ALL emergency personel on scene are to wear vests/gear with both vertical and horizontal Chartreuse stripes/ solid and have reflective areas. Texas DPS, also must follow these guidelines

    Uh, yeah, but.. NO.

    Emergency personnel on the scene at a federally funded highway must meet the standards set forth in Ansi standards, but Chartreuse? that is only mandated for the color of mini busses in a convoy....

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Uh, yeah, but.. NO.

    Emergency personnel on the scene at a federally funded highway must meet the standards set forth in Ansi standards, but Chartreuse? that is only mandated for the color of mini busses in a convoy....

    and all occupants must have long hair

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Texas
    Posts
    284

    Default

    I had heard from one of my guys who is also LEO that, while on a side-job doing traffic control at a road-construction site, he was told that the orange vests were to be phased out and lime-yellow was to be mandated.

    However, I have found NOTHING online that confirms this.

    Just my $0.02.

  15. #15
    Forum Member Ambrose33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simpleguy68 View Post
    I had heard from one of my guys who is also LEO that, while on a side-job doing traffic control at a road-construction site, he was told that the orange vests were to be phased out and lime-yellow was to be mandated.

    However, I have found NOTHING online that confirms this.

    Just my $0.02.
    Have you checked OSHA or PEOSHA? My state New Jersey is a PEOSHA state and they require us the be wearing the lime green vest on any roadway that has a speed limit above 55 miles per hour.
    Stay safe!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. NFPA Replacement Standard for Bunker Gear?
    By NYSmokey in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 10:01 PM
  2. Bunker Gear
    By jrcasey in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 04:24 AM
  3. Used Bunker Gear
    By mhenrich in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 08:14 PM
  4. Turnout/Bunker Gear: Time for a change?
    By NozzleHog in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-12-2006, 06:01 AM
  5. $ limits for bunker gear
    By Stuart in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts