Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Firehouse Recipes

I'm looking for some real good Firehouse recipes to make at home. Anything but...

fish.

Then again, how often do you eat fish at the firehouse? lol

Any recipes?

Thanks.

The Friday Crews eat Fish.... Seafood Night. I always hang out on Fridays.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

One of the best firehouse meals I ever had was stuffed filet of sole, while riding with Engine 207 & Ladder 110 FDNY......Probably 1995 or so......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Nothing like fresh caught, wild Pacific Northwest Salmon on the BBQ, it is a staple during fishing season.

Chicken Marsala

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into medallions
    4 tablespoons butter
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 cup Marsala wine

Mix the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture.
    In a large skillet, melt butter and oil over medium heat. Saute chicken in the pan until golden brown. Turn over and add mushrooms. When other side is also golden brown, add wine and cover skillet. Simmer for about another 10 minutes. Serve over egg noodles or wild rice with a fresh-steamed green veggie.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    The Friday Crews eat Fish.... Seafood Night. I always hang out on Fridays.
    Our shift always has seafood on our Friday tours as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Our shift always has seafood on our Friday tours as well.
    The Lobster Festival in your community rocks!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Eggnog Ė In the SPIRIT of the season!

Dozen eggs, One quart heavy whipping cream, One quart 100 proof rum, 2 cups sugar, vanilla, ground nutmeg & ground cinnamon.

You will need three bowls, the first must be large enough to hold about 20 cups, second about 8 cups and third about 2 cups. A word of caution, egg whites do not like any contamination, so whip them first, then the whipped cream, and last the egg yolks.

1. Separate the eggs with whites in the medium bowl and the yolks in the small bowl.
    2. Whip egg whites until stiff. Its much easier with an electric mixer.
    3. Put whipping cream in the largest bowl and add 1 cup of sugar. Whip until it forms a peak.
    4. Whip egg yolks until lemon yellow in color
    5. Fold second cup of sugar into the egg whites, do not beat.
    6. Fold yolks, whites, dash of vanilla & rum into the whipping cream.
    7. Sprinkle nutmeg and cinnamon on top.
    8. Ladle from the bottom into snifter glasses. Add more nutmeg and a sprig of mint for decoration.
    9. Arrange for a designated driver to deliver you home.
    Last edited by KuhShise; 12-18-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Default FWDbuff's horseradish-marinade pork loin

Serves 2-4.

1 package Hatfield Pork Loin (usually comes 2 loins per package.)

1 bottle BOARS HEAD CREAMY HORSERADISH SAUCE

Montreal Chicken Seasoning

Cracked black pepper

**CORN FLAKE CRUMS** (very important to use these, as bread crumbs just wont create the hard crust....You can find packaged corn flake crumbs in the stuffing/bread aisle, or buy a box of the cereal and mash them yourself....)

Spray a 9x13 pyrex dish with cooking spray or coat with oil.

Remove the loins from the package and rinse off with hot water. Pat dry thoroughly with a towel.

Dry-Rub the loins with the montreal chicken seasoning, then toss on a few pinches of the cracked black pepper.

Liberally coat the loins with the creamy horseradish sauce. Use the whole bottle, dont be shy.

Put into the fridge and marinate for minimum of 8 hours, I like to let em soak for 24.

WHEN READY TO COOK:
    Preheat the oven to 375.

Pour the corn flake crumbs over the loins, covering them completely. As the loins cook, the crumbs will turn into a crust that is out of this world!!!!!

Bake 35-45 minutes or until pork is cooked throughout.

I like this with the leftover mashed potato casserole.

Default APG Fire Department "Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole"

I named this after my last hurrah as a Career Federal FF. I spent 6 years at the US Army Fire Dept at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.

APGFD "Loaded" Mashed Potatoe Casserole

This is enough to make a standard 9x13 pyrex glass dish.

5 and 1/2 cups leftover mashed potatoes

1 8oz package cream cheese, softened

8 oz. sour cream

1 tsp. granulated garlic or garlic salt

1/2 cp. milk

2 tbs. dried parsley flakes

1 cp. grated cheddar cheese

1/2 cup bacon- cooked crisp and crumbled. (Note: the pre-packaged Hormel Bacon Bits found in the salad section of the store works also. Use one entire "small" package.)

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except cheese and bacon. Blend with electric mixer until smooth. Spoon into lightly greased 9x13 dish. Top with the cheese and bacon. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. 8-12 servings.

An excellent side dish for almost any recipe that would call for baked potatoes!!!!!

Making good homemade spaghetti gravy is hard enough. It is a lot of work and to do it right takes 6-8 hours. We usually dont have that kind of time in the firehouse. So if you want to make a good spaghetti dinner in the firehouse one night, try this meatball recipe, which will do WONDERS for any "store bought" red gravy. (A side note to the red gravy- dont skimp and buy cheap stuff! I know spaghetti gravy isnt cheap, but dont compound the matter by purchasing the cheap stuff! I like Franchesco Rinaldi, for 4-6 servings, I buy 2 large jars of "traditional", one medium jar of "mushroom" and 1 small jar of "3 cheese"). No matter how you go with the red gravy though, these meatballs will cover up the fact that you used store-bought red gravy!!!! This only takes a few minutes to make, and since you can bake these, you can concentrate on other parts of the meal while they are cooking.

Serves 4-6 with leftovers. (2 boxes standard #9 spaghetti pasta and the above recipe for the red gravy. Also dont forget salad and ITALIAN bread!)
    Preheat oven to 375.

1.5 pounds of lean gr. beef (try to get as lean as possible.)

1 pound gr. pork

1 pound gr. veal

1 small can tomato paste

1 tbs oregano

1 tbs basil

3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or put through a garlic press

3/4 cup of grated parmesean

Italian bread crumbs as needed

mix all ingredients well, using the bread crumbs to "dry" and hold the mix together as needed. Now go to the TV room and grab 2-3 other guys who are watching Dr. Phil and get them to help you roll the meatballs. I like mine just a bit bigger than golf balls, as they bake nicely without drying out in about 35 mins.

Place them in a glass baking dish or a deep cookie sheet, as there will be grease produced. Throw em in the oven for 35-45 mins. When they come out, drain them on a paper towel for a few minutes and then toss em right in the gravy!

PS- You can fry these if you want, but I prefer baking for a few reasons- it cooks them all evenly with minimal effort, this kind of a quantity will require 2-3 frying pans or multiple "batches" in one frying pan, plus if you just put them all on a baking sheet at one time, you can then work on the rest of the meal while you wait for these to bake, versus having to constantly tend to them if they were in a frying pan!!!

Default Easy hot cheese dip

If my other cheese dip recipe intimidates the non-cookers out there, this is so pathetically easy anyone can do it, and it tastes great!!!!

1 medium sized block VELVEETA Cheese (I forget what the package size is....get the medium one, or use HALF of one of the large blocks.....)

1 can HORMEL CHILI (with or without beans....I prefer WITHOUT......)

Cut the cheese (HA!) into cubes, toss into a small crock pot, pour in the can of chili, mix well as the cheese melts, serve with chips when thoroughly melted and mixed.

VARIANT: substitute a jar of salsa for the chili.

DISCLAIMER: This is toxic waste but tastes oh so good. And be sure to IMMEDIATELY SCRAPE THE CROCK POT WITH A RUBBER SPATULA, or else you have to clean it with a pressure washer or dynamite.

Default Bread-Pot Cheese Dip

Here's a good one to serve at the Firehouse during a football game or new years day or any other special occasion.......Good for about 6-10 people depending on how hard they hit this.....which will be hard!!!!

1- 10" round bread loaf, I prefer a white or sourdough loaf.

1- 8oz package cream cheese, softened

1- 2 cup package shredded cheddar cheese

1.5 cups of sour cream (this works out to about 2/3rds of a 16oz container)

1/2 cup of chopped scallions (green onions.)

2 cups finely diced or finely cubed ham (I buy one plain ham steak, avoid "honey" or "smoked" flavors)

3oz (1 can) mild green chilie peppers, drained and chopped

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

-Preheat oven to 350

-Carefully cut a hatch in the bread by slicing it open across the top. Save the "lid" that you cut off.

-Hollow out the loaf, being careful not to puncture the bottom. Save the pieces you tore out from the center, creating a "bread pot". You can toast these and use them for the dip later.

-In a bowl, blend the three cheeses well. Add the ham, scallions and chilies, and worcestershire and again blend well.

-Spoon the mix into the bread "pot". Replace the "lid" Wrap the entire thing in foil all the way around. (If you dont have commercial foil, use normal kitchen-sized foil crossed in a + shape.)

-Bake at 350 for one and a half hours. Serve warm, with the toasted bread pieces, or chips (I prefer Fritos "dipping" corn chips but thats me.)

The BEST PART is the LID by the way!!!!!!! When you take it off, cut it in strips!!!!!

Default Philadelphia Naval Shipyard FD stuffed shells

This recipe was an "A" Platoon favorite of the PNSY FD. In fact, it was so popular, the "B" Platoon would steal the leftovers!

This is a large recipe.....Enough to feed 12 hungry shipboard firefighters........this is enough for 4 of those large stainless steel cafeteria-style pans. If you dont have these, spend a couple of bucks and get a few. DO NOT USE THOSE FOIL PANS- THE ACID IN THE SAUCE WILL ATTACK IT!

4 boxes of LARGE shells

1 pound EACH: lean ground beef, ground pork, ground veal and sausage meat (1 large of those "tubes" usually works....Bob Evans or what have you.......)

3-4 garlic cloves, crushed/diced

2 large tubs of ricotta cheese

4 cups (2 bags) of shredded italian cheese mix: Mozzarella/Parmesean/Provolone/Asiago

1-2 cups milk as needed

2 eggs

2 TBS ground basil

4 LARGE jars prepared sauce

First prepare the "stuffing." In a large frying pan, cook all the meats and garlic, chopping it all finely. Mix it well. Drain off and discard the fats. Set the meat aside.

In a large mixing bowl: All the cheeses, the eggs, and basil. Mix with an electric mixer, and add milk as needed until it is a pudding-like consistency. When it is all blended well, add the meats, again maintaining a pudding-like consistency. Use milk as needed to accomplish this.

Place in refridgerator to chill.

Prepare the shells according to the directions. When cooked, drain and then quench with COLD water to stop the cooking process.

Make a "stuffers" by snipping off a 1 inch corner pieces of large zip-lok freezer bags.

Spread out newspapers on the table, and go in the TV room and get 1 or two of the lazy slobs watching Dr. Phil. This part goes faster when you have 1 or 2 helpers.

Take the 4 pans, and coat the bottoms with some of the sauce.

Now, with the helpers and the "stuffers", stuff the shells. Spoon the "pudding" into the bags, twist the tops closed, and hold in one hand. Using the other hand, hold a shell, squeezing it open. Squeeze some pudding into the shell, and place it into the pan. When the pan is full with one layer of shells, cover the shells with a thick layer of sauce.

Bake at 350 for 45 mins to one hour.

Goes extremely well with a salad and garlic or plain italian bread.

Serves 12, with enough leftovers for the thieves on the other platoon working tomorrow!

Default NAWCADWAR Engine 69 Chicken

This recipe was a favorite of the firefighters at the NAVAL AIR WARFARE CENTER, AIRCRAFT DIVISION, WARMINSTER PENNSYLVANIA Fire Department, Bucks County Engine 69.

NAWCADWAR FD Closed permanently in March of 1998. This recipe is dedicated to the 50+ years of men who served there, but most of all, to the members of the "A" Platoon with whom I worked with for 2 years.....

You can make this with chicken halves or quarters, but I prefer boneless, skinless breasts. Costs more in the end, but easier to cook in my opinion. If using halves, allow one per man.

4-5 pounds of boneless/skinless breasts will feed 8-10 guys

2 large bottles of italian salad dressing

3-4 large garlic cloves

2 TBS ground basil

4 TBS montreal chicken seasoning

3-4 pounds of pasta (can use ziti, linguini or spagetti.)

3/4 cup of grated parmesean cheese

1/2 cup hormel bacon pieces

1 stick of butter

3/4 cup of the broth from cooking the chicken

Place chicken in large baking pans. soak with the salad dressing, just until the sides of the chicken pieces are covered. Sprinkle the seasonings over the tops. Cover with foil & marinate minimum of 4 hours. Preferably 8.

Leaving foil on, bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 45 mins. (Time varies if you use halves compared to breasts)

Towards the end of the cook time for the chicken, prepare the pasta and drain it off. In a large pot, melt the butter into the pasta, mixing well. Toss in the bacon pieces, the broth and the grated cheese. Serve the chicken over the pasta.

Goes well with garlic bread or plain italian bread, and a nice salad.

No fish Pialla.

Yellow Rice with Saffron
    Chicken parts...drums, thighs, wings
    Green Peppers
    Peas
    Chorizo or Reg Bacon

-boil water for the rice (as per package)
    -Par-boil the chicken for 10 minutes, take out arrange on a tray, season with adobo....place in oven for 20 mins at 375.
    -slice peppers and dice bacon or chorizo, cook the bacon if you use it...if you don't it won't cook when mixed with the rice

-Add rice to boiling water....and add the peppers, peas and chorizo/bacon....cook rice as per the package.

-pull the chicken out....scoop the rice and put chicken on the bed of rice.....
    IACOJ Member

VARIANT: substitute a jar of salsa for the chili.
    Substitute Rotel Tomatoes & Green Chilies

Rotel con queso

As mentioned... scrap the pot early or forever hold your peace.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Substitute Rotel Tomatoes & Green Chilies

You know, I've tried that before. Instead of using store-bought tortilla chips, I like to take hard taco shells, crack them in half, and deep fry them. They make the BEST tortilla chips on earth. Whether they're healthy or not...that's a different story.

I like to use the "hot" Rotel cans personally.

Also, I'd like to say thanks to FWDBuff for his recipes. Thanks so much for taking the time out to post those. I'm gonna have to try some of those some time!

Instead of using store-bought tortilla chips, I like to take hard taco shells, crack them in half, and deep fry them. They make the BEST tortilla chips on earth. Whether they're healthy or not...that's a different story.
    It's not healthy... but who cares?

I agree with your accessment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    The Lobster Festival in your community rocks!
    It's certainly a big event for this area. The committee that runs it has been very generous to us too, having bought us an ambulance and giving us $20K for stuff outside of our Tower Ladders bid to see that it was nicely equipped with hand tools and such.
    Sadly enough, the lobster prices locally have continued to stay low and it's cheaper for us to buy the bugs than hamburger! A lot of locals getting out of fishing these last two years. And yet there are still nights we order takeout!

Thread Information