Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Mini Rescue / BLS Response

We are looking into purchasing a new F550 based mini rescue. We want to stick with a commercial body like Reading for cost reasons but reading does not make a body that comes above the height of the cab. Do you know of any other commercial truck body manufacturer that has a tall body like that?

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    We are looking into purchasing a new F550 based mini rescue. We want to stick with a commercial body like Reading for cost reasons but reading does not make a body that comes above the height of the cab. Do you know of any other commercial truck body manufacturer that has a tall body like that?

Thanks
    Something like a mechanics body?

Forum Member

Something like this but with a taller body: http://www.tunkhannockambulance.com/rescue_1-3.htm

Forum Member

If you dont mind whats your budget range?

Talking

I think this might be along the lines of what your looking for

http://www.stahl.cc/usv/index.html

Forum Member

Or like this,

(© Fouts Bros Fire Equipment)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

I want something like the picture I posted but with taller cabinets. We want the back to remain open, but will put a flat diamond plate across the top, but no extended cap top. We are looking to spend less that 85 thousand. We will use a stock body and then stripe it, put lights on. We are looking for a commercially available truck that is not "specifically" made for Fire/EMS in order to keep costs down.

Forum Member

Why do you need it to come above the cab?

Forum Member

Because we want to maximize our storage space. This truck will carry a full complement of BLS response equipment (backboards, AED, StairChair, First in, O2, Suction, etc...), Water Rescue Equipment (Rope Bags, some life jackets), Oil Dry, Full complement of extinguishers, command board, traffic cones, portable Gas generator, perhaps a combi tool and generator, Shovel, brooms, 2 SCBA and lots more.

Essentially we want to have as many shelves as we can, and plenty of space to store lots of stuff. This truck will replace a customized suburban that carried just EMS equipment and we threw other stuff in the bench seat when we needed it. Now we want it all on one truck. Its kind of the stuff that doesnt need to be on our rescue or squrt. This truck will also tow a boat and hazmat trailer.

Forum Member

Similar in concept tho this http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....retruck_03.jpg But without the pump in back. Also, we probably would not need hinged doors. But that truck gives a general idea of dimensions.

Forum Member

try swab wagon co. they might have what you are looking for

www.swabwagon.com

Forum Member

I am considering swab, but again I would also like to find options along the lines of Stahl and Reading, but neither of them make a tall body. Essentially I am looking for a truck that any random contractor could buy with a set spec using standard options. By not having a custom fabrication, we will save money. While Swab and Fouts make a great truck, it is a custom design with limited production = higher cost. We will have the emergency equipment installed in station.

Forum Member

What about this:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

Closer, but I am still looking for something that has a body that comes about 12 inches above the roofline of the cab. Most seem to end 6 inches below.

Does anybody know if Reading does modified boxes (as in make the cabinets taller) at a reasonable price?

MembersZone Subscriber

Is this what you had in mind?

Or this:

They both are by Reading. Try contacting them directly, not a distributor, and see what they can work for you at your budget range.

Found at:

Reading>Markets we serve>Fire/Rescue
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

If you are willing to spend 85k, send it out to bid. You would be surprised how many manufacturers are more than willing to build exactly what you want at your budget. Sometimes you dont save money by trying to get the commercial type body and do everything yourself. I have been looking at rescue type trucks and have found several for 86k and under. Good luck.

"Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

On their standard service body Reading will raise the compartments up to 5", But they will also make custom bodies:

http://www.readingbody.com/Home/Prod...9/Default.aspx

Forum Member

Charlie82:

Seagrave in Rock Hill SC fabricates these types of apparatus everyday. They utilize a poly body construction. Seagrave utilizes the Propoly product for this unit. If you look at the propoly website you will see a lot of the Seagrave vehicles that they have sold.
    Here is a link on the Seagrave website. You will see a yellow body on the first page, which is unfinished. I believe this is what your looking for. Unfortunately for you, you probably need more than what the standard commercial guys have to offer.

If you want more information on this you would need to contact your local Seagrave dealer, or call the factory at 803-980-3576. Talk to Russell and he would be able to help you out.

http://my.seagrave.com/ContentManage...ptimum_7-1.pdf

Forum Member

Thanks guys! What is the running price on one of these poly-body trucks (with a F550 Crew Cab)? I may start researching them too if I can find some I like for under 85K.

Thread Information