Thread: brush truck

Forum Member

illinois, and finally about to start construction

Default brush truck

hi all i have a quick question. my department is going to apply for a brush truck next year thru afg. we have never had one set up correctly an was wondering one if anyone had any good ideas for a unit in a rural area with lots of farm and wild land? and two if there is an nfpa code for brush trucks? i checked 1901 but with no luck
    thanks mm

Forum Member

elk1544,

NFPA 1906 is the standard for wildland fire apparatus. As for ideas...

For starters 4x4 IS A MUST! What type of body do you want? Pick-Up, Utility, Flatbed, Mini Pumper? A utility body is nice for the storage if you want to carry extra equipment (rescue, medical). Also don't forget about long tool storage. Do you want single rear wheel or a dully? (or even one of those super singles). How many people do you want to carry? What kind of pump do you want? Gas, Diesel, PTO? A nice feature is a monitor on the front bumper or spray nozzles. Or firefighter platforms with whip lines. (don't forget a booster reel). How much water do you want to carry (300 gallons max for a single rear wheel 400 for a light duty dully). Or do you want to go with a heavy truck chassis? How much hose do you want to carry? A service body is nice because you can put a hosebed above the compartments. Do you want a foam system or CAFS? Sorry for all the questions but the more I know the more ideas I can help you with. Hope this was some help!
    Last edited by FireRescue61; 12-19-2009 at 12:41 AM.

Forum Member

i was thinking f 550 with dual wheels and a flat bed with side boxes. it will carry brush equipment, air packs, and first responder medical equipment. i don't know on people yet. a diesel pump i think. good info on options especially the sprayers. hose just whatever nfpa requires. and was hoping 400 gallons water so it could be first out on car fires and mva's

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Newest SCAT's sound kind of like what you describe. 2008 F-550 regular cab. Has a diesel pump (I don't remember GPM's) with CAFS and carries 400 gal. of water. Booster line on top, a discharge on the back and spray bars on the front. The passenger side compartment is long with two doors on them for long tool storage.

Because the chassis is so short, they turn on a dime and go just about anywhere. It is set up to be able to handle small fires on its own. This was done mostly because we require a Class B CDL to drive the engine and sometimes are delayed waiting for an operator.

There are several dissadvantages to this design. The regular cab, while increasing maneuverability only allows us to carry 3 people at most (and that's cozy).

They were originally designed with steps on the back. Those were quickly ripped off while driving though hilly terrain.

More storage space would be nice. We have trouble finding space for medical equipment and other items.

If I could go back in time, I would have went with an extended cab (mostly to store personal gear) and some additional compartments (don't ask were I would put them). I also would have left the steps off and just put some fold down foothold on the back.

Here are some links to pictures:
    Drivers Side
    Pass Side
    Rear

If I can get you any more information let me know. I probably have the original paperwork around somewhere.

Forum Member

Forum Member

lump532 would love more informatio on the truck if you have it. rescue 61 that real close to what the dept wants i think. thank you all for the responses and information

Forum Member

Unruh Fire's website is worth looking at. We have one of their flatbeds on a F550 Dually. T23 has 350 gallons of water, foam, diesel pump, booster reel, two whip lines, hand tools, chain saw and winch. I really like the walkway they have, including the high gates, and the pump mounted in the back because it reduces the noise. Hadn't seen this concept until we got ours.

Danko makes a good product and Weis Fire is building our new quick attack rescue.

Good luck,
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by elk1544 View Post
    lump532 would love more information the truck if you have it. rescue 61 that real close to what the dept wants i think. thank you all for the responses and information
    Sorry elk, I can't seem to find what I was looking for. I'll keep you in mind in case I run across it.

It was designed and built by MaxFire if you want to get a hold of them.

MembersZone Subscriber

You've got a few options you can look at with this kind of rig. You've got like what you describe, a flatbed with boxes built on it. You've got the option of a utility-type bed with the boxes built into the body and a skid in the back. Then you have a rescue-style body with a skid or tank/pump set-up in the bed.

We were successful for a quick-attack/brush truck in '07. What we ended up with was the latter; a rescue-style bed with a tank and pump in the bed. We went this route because we were going to use it as much more than just a brush truck. For wildland firefighting, we have the tank, pump, preconnects and other discharges, as well as a TFT Tornado monitor on the front bumper.

We also have all of our EMS equipment, extrication and rescue equipment, as well as brush firefighting equipment. Since ISO wanted us to have a service truck, we also have a lot of the service company equipment on it (6 extra SCBA and bottles, vent saw, thermal imager, generator, etc). It wasn't a big deal for us to do so, as it fit right into our vision of this truck. One benefit is that instead of having to roll an engine to a mutual aid call where only manpower is needed, we roll this one truck and have all the SCBA we need (for the most part).

Before you get sat down to write your grant, figure out what you're needing. If you're doing a lot of grass fires on fairly firm ground and want it to double as a rescue, you can get by with the heavier rescue-style bodies. That was our situation. If you're looking at the logging roads and stuff, the flatbed might be the better option.

I've never used the spray nozzles, but was looking at them on this truck. We quickly changed to the Tornado monitor with the in-cab joystick control to allow more flexibility and control. The only thing you have to adjust from outside the cab is the gallonage setting, which we usually keep at 15 gpm. We also had a remote pump control panel put in the cab. We leave the tank-to-pump valve open, as well as the one to the Tornado monitor, so all we have to do is start the pump and control the monitor, all without having to leave the comfort of the cab.

After that, pay a visit to the grants forums. Several of us have recieved awards for a variety of brush trucks and are more than happy to help others out.

If you want to see our rig, it's on Unruh's website (www.unruhfire.com); the one from Purdy, MO.

Forum Member

catch as always from the grant forum and you good advice any chance i can get your narrative? or any pointers? also what part of mo are you in? we are real close to cape ourselves
    thx everyone for your reples lots of good information

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by elk1544 View Post
    catch as always from the grant forum and you good advice any chance i can get your narrative? or any pointers? also what part of mo are you in? we are real close to cape ourselves
    thx everyone for your reples lots of good information
    I'll be glad to. Just drop me a PM or email with an email address to send it to. From there I'll give you a bit more in-depth info on our experience.

I'm down in the southwest corner of Missouri. About an hour from Oklahoma and 30 mins from Arkansas, if that gives you a better idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a shot of ours...

Two are on F550, the middle is on a Freightliner
    All 4x4

http://www.weisfiresafety.com/justso...letteWYlg1.jpg
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink My 2 cents

We buy Ford F450 or did I believe we will go with a Dodge 4500 next time. We go with extra cab not crew. Get a simple utility box. Then buy a slip in unit. Add light bar siren lights etc and then you are done. We did most of the work as far as running around and getting things installed. You can save money that way. The last thing is a winch on front which has been nice when needed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firebill911 View Post
    We buy Ford F450 or did I believe we will go with a Dodge 4500 next time. We go with extra cab not crew. Get a simple utility box. Then buy a slip in unit. Add light bar siren lights etc and then you are done. We did most of the work as far as running around and getting things installed. You can save money that way. The last thing is a winch on front which has been nice when needed.
    Bill,
    Now that's my idea of a brush truck. Simple, cost effective, and versatile.
    I've seen dozens of brush trucks that are too bloated and too "pretty" to perform their intended tasks.

A common mistake is to begin the process designing a brush truck; then adding a hydraulic rescue tool, some SCBA's, EMS equipment, ect. all to make it more functional. The end result is a truck that is too bloated to perform its original mission.

A brush unit should have these basic design features:
    AWD, high ground clearance, narrow width, short wheelbase, low OAH, tight turning radius, high approach and departure angles, and above all not so "pretty" that departments are reluctant to take it off the road and into the the "brush."

Regarding the winch, I like the idea of adding a 2-inch receiver on the front and rear to accommodate the winch. This allows winching from the both front and rear.

C6

Forum Member

Command6 hit it right on the head. Both my departments run a 4 door Ford 550 chassis type brush truck and the paid one also has a reg. cab pick-up. The pick-up does the best job out of all three.....

We do alot of corn/bean fields, brush, and regular open field and the pickup truck can just manuver alot better and doesn't get stuck near as much as the duallies do.

Forum Member

Default Yeah

Ziggy171 is right. We have a 2004 F550. The truck is entirely to heavy and has a very hard time off road. granted, most of the time you are off road fighting field and brush fires is when it is dry, but what about those ditched the pesky farmers cut in their fields with just enough moisture to bury you. Literally. A single cab 4X4 with a drop in skid unit is not only the best as far as wading through the mud, but also a good friend of the pocketbook compared to the heavier dually's. Also a few things to think about....I would put dual hose reel lines with 3/4 in stead of 1 inch. It doesn't take much to put out a grass fire so no need to waste it, just makes more trip to the tanker. make sure you have a tool trough. Always a must when building a truck is tool storage. Brooms, flappers, etc. make them easily accesible on the truck. Also if you go with the pickup truck, spec a spray in liner, that will save you alot of trouble when it comes to rust and such. i know a big 550 or 450 would look great in your station but if it were me and I had to do it over again, I would def. go with a pickup. Just food for thought.

Forum Member

Hey try Anchor Richey EVS out of NC they are wonderful. Check out out brusk truck at www.bogercityfire.org

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're looking to a Fire Grant for the truck, at least considering stepping up to a truck chassis. Ford/Dodge are light duty chassis, keep them on the gravel/dirt trail/road. We end up buying them because can't affort or won't spend the extra $ out of pocket for a real (heavy duty) chassis suited for severe off road use.

Look at IH or Frtliner 4x4. Perhaps with supersingles. You can carry a decent load and large tank without breaking it.

Forum Member

We run an F350 with a flat bed set up one of our members built. It is simple and not crowded with all the bells and whistles. Its got a 300 gallon tank, hose reel off the rear, tray on top of the tank with a flotation pump and two donuts of 1 1/2". A box on one side with storage for chains, wrenches, adapters, spare nozzles,"wet water"containers, chainsaw, gas for the flotation pump and chainsaw(we keep the tanks empty), and a short 2 1/2" fill hose. We also have a drinking water can on this side(most people forget this). On the other side we keep the reciever hitch winch mounted when not in use and we have a tray for shovels, paddles, etc.
    We also ride on our truck(dont start, we know the rules) so there is space between the tank and the cab for two firefighters to ride with whip lines at each station. We have also been contemplating the option of adding a water curtain to the front bumper.
    We have all this on an F 350 chassis and still are not on the spring overloads so we cant see going to a 550 unless we go to 400 gallons of water.
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

MembersZone Subscriber

Step into the 21st century
    http://www.blanchatmfg.com/index.php

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew21 View Post
    Step into the 21st century
    http://www.blanchatmfg.com/index.php

Which truck in particular?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Brush Truck

This is the newest edition to our fleet. It seems to be a little different than most brush trucks. It is made by 1st Attack out of Indiana.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dnfire49; 01-15-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Thread Information