Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Requirements to be a EMT-P/FF?

I'm starting my EMT-B course this semester and then will move onto EMT-P next fall semester and will have that completed by December 2011. I want to get hired on to a FD as an EMT-P/FF so my question is will a FD hire me on and then train me for FF1? I have a child on the way and getting from my minimum wage job into my chosen profession needs to happen quick. I live in Ohio and know I will probably be required to relocate and that is fine with me. Thanks for the help.

When you finish EMT-B you will already have a skill that you may be able to use. Seek out Fire Departments that hire based upon EMT-B or try EMS.

Once you obtain EMT-P, you will be more attractive for most Fire Departments that require B or P.

You can obtain FF1/FF2 alot quicker than EMT-B or P, and 'most' departments will provide this.

If you can get hired in a FD with EMT-B, then continue to pursue P, it will most likely increase your pay.

The Fire Department requirements vary from place to place, so you should do some homework before you decide.

Another factor: Many Departments (Municipal, towns, counties) are undergoing budget cuts, thus many firefighters have been laid off, or will be laid off. You really need to explore this situation as well. Some regions have been affected more than others during this recession.

Most Departments also require candidates to take an Exam, (some Civil Service). Firefighter jobs are in high demand with many more applying than positions available.

Every edge you can get will help your pursuit of a position. But nothing despite the EMT training will guarantee that you will get that job. Keep your options open and pursue EMS as a paying job as you continue to improve your level of training and skill. That under your belt, coupled with street smarts will go along way to giving you an edge.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Some departments, primarily larger ones, will train you to the level of training they operate at.

Other departments, will expect you to have the certs, more than likely FFI/FFII and Haz-mat operations before you are hired.

As far as it happening quick, don't count on that. Even with paramedic in hand there are a lot of folks competing for firefighting jobs so expect a lot of competition and having to take multiple tests before you get a spot.

This is a job that some folks have worked several years to get. Be prepared for that.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 12-19-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Some departments, primarily larger ones, will train you to the level of training they operate at.

Other departments, will expect you to have the certs, more than likely FFI/FFII and Haz-mat operations before you are hired.

As far as it happening quick, don't count on that. Even with paramedic in hand there are a lot of folks competing for firefighting jobs so expect a lot of competition and having to take multiple tests before you get a spot.

This is a job that some folks have worked several years to get. Be prepared for that.
    I understand it does take some time to get into the field, I will already have two years wrapped up between EMT-B and EMT-P, I just can't have it take much longer than that two years and I need to be able to work and support myself during my training. I know I can work during both my EMT-B and EMT-P courses but the only FF1/FF2 courses I have found in my area are 5 days a week 8am-5pm and that's located 3.5 hrs from my home! So getting hired on as an EMT-P and then getting the FF1/FF2 training is my best route to take.

Find a volunteer Fire Department and give them what you can spare. Many participate or provide FF1 and even FF2. The training usually is spread out over many weeks, (example Monday nights & Saturdays) opposed to a couple weeks.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Bro,

I lived in Ohio up until last May, when I moved here to Texas after getting hired on a FD. Anyways, I did my Emt-basic in Ohio, but I did my fire academy in Texas. Like you, I couldn't afford to go to a "full-time" traditional fire academy.

So, I went to one online. It was the BEST move I could've made. Not only did I get certified in Texas, but the IFSAC symbols got me certified in Ohio also (at NO extra charge). I was hired on a FD in Ohio within 2 months of graduation, and I was offered the job in Texas within 3 months of graduation.

Let me know if you'd like more details. I'd be happy to either call you or e-mail you.
    Pete

MembersZone Subscriber

The economy is tough now, and it probably won't be significantly better by the time you graduate EMT-P that depts will be hiring people left and right. Even in a great economy, getting hired is a long process often taking months once your number is called. I would suggest starting the process now and see if you can get hired in the mean time. Many depts will work with you if you're interested in going to Medic school, esp if you're willing to pay for it yourself. If you're willing to wait a year or two, the dept might even pick up the cost of the school.

Yes, most career depts in the mid-west will train you as a FF1 & FF2 if you're hired. In fact, you'll probably go through EMT-B again unless you've already got your EMT-P. Another option is to find an ambulance company and work for them until you get everything done. Pay is usually sub-par, but it will at least be a paycheck and get you experience while you test.

maierd2195- I wouldnít expect any agency to sponsor you for the advanced education. Most FDs across the nation are just requiring the PM cert prior to submitting an application.

I would also expect most PM schools want field experience prior to accepting you as a student. So I would try to get some EMT BLS skills on board asap.

Good luck, Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

One piece of advise I'll give you in regards to your paramedic- try to get some experience before you get into class. Even if it's a PRN position on an ambulance or even in the ER, the experience will serve you well and help you during, and after, medic class.

I've seen far too many medics that went straight from EMT class into paramedic without any experience. A few end up good medics. Most have a lot to learn after they hit the streets.

Do you actually want to be a Paramedic, or are you doing it because it will help you get hired as a FF?
    Right outta B, and straight into P is a surefire way to make a crappy medic.
    Go work on the streets first.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Do you actually want to be a Paramedic, or are you doing it because it will help you get hired as a FF?
    Right outta B, and straight into P is a surefire way to make a crappy medic.
    Go work on the streets first.
    This is 1000% true. Learn how to support and interface with a PM. The very best experience is being in the back of the box and anticipating and knowing his/her next move during a full arrest. Supporting a medic from tape, to repirations, lung sounds, EKG leads to CPR- That is a good EMT and what you should be striving for.

Hope that helps out.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    This is 1000% true. Learn how to support and interface with a PM. The very best experience is being in the back of the box and anticipating and knowing his/her next move during a full arrest. Supporting a medic from tape, to repirations, lung sounds, EKG leads to CPR- That is a good EMT and what you should be striving for.

Hope that helps out.
    And to even see if this is for you.
    Blood, mayhem, long hours, vomiting patients crapping themselves, dead and dying.
    Even though they aren't everyday things, if you cant cut it, theres the door.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

If it makes you more marketable, do it. Your attitude is your decision.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Quote Originally Posted by maierd2195 View Post
    I'm starting my EMT-B course this semester and then will move onto EMT-P next fall semester and will have that completed by December 2011. I want to get hired on to a FD as an EMT-P/FF so my question is will a FD hire me on and then train me for FF1? I have a child on the way and getting from my minimum wage job into my chosen profession needs to happen quick. I live in Ohio and know I will probably be required to relocate and that is fine with me. Thanks for the help.
    As many have said, you aren't going to walk into a career fire department flop down some certs and they fall all over you give you a badge, turn out gear and having you sign on the dotted line.

It don't work that way up here in the Mid Atlantic area.

Times are very hard. You may have 4,000 people putting in applications for the chance of getting maybe 40 to 50 jobs over the next two years. A CHANCE! If your application is good to go, no police record or bad driving record then they may invite you for a written exam. Should you past that and make the next step of taking a physical ability exam and passing that with out any mistakes, then you may get invited for an oral interview. Lets say you pas all of these steps and get sent for you medical physical and this has to be passed completely with no major health problems, then after they check all your previous employers, credit rating and police and driving back grounds, then and still maybe then you may be hired as a new hire. Depending on the department, you may be sent to the training school for 20 or so weeks, getting paid while to attend and learn. It have to pass this to keep you job if you graduate and are assigned to a fast pace busy company for a year as a PROBY. You have to pass this step or you are history. You have to apply your self learning the company rig, streets, hydrants, targets areas, stand pipe and sprinkler buildings in you first due and still make runs with you company on the assigned platoon day you are working.

A lot of people don't make it to taking the first exams and there are some who can't pass the training school.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    As many have said, you aren't going to walk into a career fire department flop down some certs and they fall all over you give you a badge, turn out gear and having you sign on the dotted line.
    That's right; you will also have to show off some radical dance moves.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Thread Information